1. Used to think that life was sweet

Used to think we were so complete

I can't believe you'd throw it away

2. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,863
    Medals:
    Ah, but which number comes before and after

Let's not put too much pressure on these guys.:D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    Wonder no more.

In the mid-week album chart update, it's landed pretty well at a respectable number 23.

Steps.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    I think that's pretty great for a limited edition box set. They certainly have a very loyal fanbase.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    Totally!

I also find it interesting that you said it's just a limited 3000 boxsets, it's certainly been a busy weekend for Steps fans. Sadly though, I think it will likely drop when it comes to the final countdown on Friday, but only because of the limited number out there. I could be wrong because it might only have been 2000 sales and leaving room for the other 1000 to sell in the next couple of days.

I'd love to see sales figures against each album/single when they release the charts but it's something they've never really done.

5. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    I think that all copies may have been sold or there are very little left. None went up for sale on Amazon although originally there was a listing. I think that was a contingency plan in case it didn't sell that well. It seems it really has sold well. They handled this album campaign so well I think. Fascination have been a great management team for them. Very clever marketing. Releasing the standard album signed, then a few months later the deluxe available in bundles, individually signed. Four singles released from the album initially as digital downloads, with lots of remixes just like back in the day. Then the live audio released from Belfast and Wembley, The standard tour DVD/CD set. The deluxe photobook/DVD/BLURAY/CD set, and then finally the singles boxset. Steps have made an absolute fortune. Exactly like they did back in the day. To even bother with the physical singles shows how well they know their fanbase. It's what we have whinged for online for years, new Steps CD singles.

Sadly my boxset still has not arrived. :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    The winner rating is for everything they've done (they certainly deserve the reaction they get from their fans).

...not this part of your post

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    Medals:
    Have you contacted them? Mine arrived Saturday. It's really surprising that mine would make it to California before yours got to you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    It says it was dispatched but I have until the 10th August before I should contact them. Hopefully it's here when I get back from work tomorrow night.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,863
    Medals:
    But...how is that good for you, it's basically milking the customer dry.
    It's nice when an album is re-released with bonus material (e.g. an old LP re-released on CD) but I don't think I would ever support this kind of calculated "upgradings".

CD singles were doing great in the 90s and you really didn't have to buy 3 or 4 versions to get all the mixes.
    And then they (record companies) got greedy, teasing the audience with popular mixes only available on hard to find promos and omiting them from the commercial releases.
    It was this kind of attitude that encouraged many music lovers to get their music from less legal sources aka downloads, it was an utterly frustrating situation.
    Needless to say those record companies started to scream blue murder. "Poor us! illegal download is killing the industry!". Yes, it did.
    People would have done it anyway - the internet made it all possible, I'm just saying that's not the whole story. And cheap-ass people who only download things for free (just because they can) wouldn't want to buy the commercial releases anyway. Most of them are not potential customers.

I think it's sad that it's become such a cash cow industry, to make those people who actually want to spend their money pay as much as possible, as many times as possible.
    Great marketing indeed, but don't expect a standing ovation from me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    My favourite group were basically gone for 16 years. I happily spent money on everything they did with this album comeback. I even saw the tour twice. They are out to make money from Steps. That's how they make their living. You don't have to buy everything they release or put out but I wanted to. So long as I enjoyed the music, and having certain things signed why not. I wanted signed albums, I wanted deluxe albums, I wanted CD singles, I wanted a tour, I wanted a tour DVD, I wanted a book. I wanted multiple remixes. I hope to get all of this with the 6th album too. I can afford to spend my money on these things now. I couldn't back in the day when they were originally around. I couldn't see the same tour 2 nights, I couldn't even get to see them once. I had to save up money to buy singles!! Sometimes walking into town to buy the single or album because I didn't even have the bus fair.

I don't think Steps have milked the fans. I think they have given them what they wanted for years but couldn't have.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    It's kind of similar to how I spent over £80 to have The Colbys on DVD when it was released in the US. I could have waited and got it cheaper... But I had waited long enough. I needed it then and there. If I want it that bad, I'll get it.

I wouldn't have been happy, couldn't have lived with myself if I let the Steps Singles Collection pass me by.

And... These re-releases etc are also about charting for a group like Steps. Streaming has ruined any chance that Steps will be charting as high as they once did. The re-release of the album, which was sold in bundles signed individually by the group as a set of 5 or just whatever member you wanted. Actually increased the albums sales and gave it a higher chart position.

Is it cynical? Yes... But the pop/music world always has been.
    And I repeat you don't have to buy EVERYTHING they put out. I just wanted to.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,863
    Medals:
    I don't know about that. There was a time when a band would simply release an album, and some singles to promote that album. Maybe even a live version because that has additional artistic value.

The same happened with Almighty records (now defunct, or so it seems). Releasing new tracks on CD-R of MP3 only (cheaper for them) only to re-release those tracks on manufactured CDs because "we know how much you want them on CD!". Erm.. if they knew that then why not release them on CD the first time?
    So they could make the fans buy the same thing over and over again. It's what fans do because fans always want to best version.

Of course they don't force you to buy everything, but as you said:
    It's all so very different from the days when I bought 5 CD singles every week. I never had to think about repackagings or upgrades or better versions.
    In several continental European countries there was a system for the CD singles: 2-track singles (the equivalent of the 7" vinyls) and maxi's/EPs (the equivalent of the 12" vinyls).
    These were priced accordingly and it was a very customer-friendly concept. Those who were only interested in the radio play version could buy the cheaper release.
    There was nothing cynical about it imo.

13. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,090
    Medals:
    Wow. The day after release?! That's very impressive.

Marketing for the Tears era has been more aggressive than any previous Steps album. Steps and Fascination do seem to be paying attention to what their fans want and are conscious of marketing opportunities, so it's been good for fans and collectors.

It's true that the consumer has a choice about buying or not. And I certainly exercised my right not to buy when it came to Guilty Pleasure. But equally a choice can only be made based on the information available at the time. Some may have chosen still to buy the standard version of Tears if they'd known about the deluxe edition that would render it obsolete just months later, but many wouldn't. Fascination know that all too well. It's a strategy that gives fans a generous gift one one level while taking advantage of their goodwill on another.

That's marketing for you. It's not going to change. Perhaps it was even necessary for Steps to really make their mark again. But it does make me think twice about each new product that comes on offer - something I wouldn't have done before.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    Medals:
    Yes, I was extremely surprised as I wasn't expecting it to arrive here until sometime in August. They dispatched it July 20 though, so score one for Music Glue. I don't remember my signed Lee version of Tears On the Dancefloor: CATD edition arriving that quickly.

Speaking of "signed by Lee", I was reading on Facebook that a couple of people's singles collections arrived without Lee's signature. :(

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,090
    Medals:
    What a lovely surprise for you. Lee must've had a word with someone at Music Glue and told them it was his #1 American fan's birthday.

Oh - the horror. I seem to remember reading something similar a while back, but I think it was Claire in that case.

I'd love to know more about the logistics behind getting signed albums out - especially when multiple autographs are needed on each cover. Of the ones I've ordered online, the Steps ones have been the most impressive, arriving in mint condition and sealed. There's some perfectionism going on behind the scenes, I think, for which I'm very grateful.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    So Claire released her debut solo single today. I bought it of course out of curiosity. I love the production and vocally she sounds incredible. Her vocals were to be expected though, I mean she is an amazing singer. Probably the best female vocalist of her pop generation. However I really don't like the lyrics. The song just doesn't really speak to me. It's very Yummy Mummy on the Prosecco anthem. And that's just not me. It's very clever of her though, I mean the Loose Women crowd will eat this up with a spoon and it will be their sing along bop on nights out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Banana Hammock

Banana Hammock Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Medals:
    I really like it. From the title and the photo/look of the sleeve I was expecting a ballad, but this is more my cuppa tea. It's quite Melodifestivalen (Swedish selection for Eurovision), the kind of entry I want to do well but doesn't win, partly 'cause she's not a hot 20yr old male.
    So yeah I'm surprised in a good way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Banana Hammock

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Medals:
    Looking at their signatures on the previous page, Claire has by far the best one, followed by Lisa.
    The others, if I didn't know better , are called M, Sharyn, and Lane.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    I just cant relate to the lyrical content. It doesn't speak to me at all. The second verse is particularly cringeworthy. Like Hearsay album track bad. It's very "Single mum makes it on her own" not that there isn't a market for that. I'm sure I will find songs I like better on the album.

20. Banana Hammock

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Medals:
    lol awww I have their albums, though I don't know them well, but have still held on to them.
    I won't be buying Claire's album, unless I see it in a charity shop in the future. I haven't seen the H & Claire CD in a charity shop yet. Nor the Steps Crimbo one.

• Funny Funny x 2