1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Rogan Reacts to Celebrity “I Take Responsibility” PSA

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Frank Underwood, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    Medals:
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    Someone else that doesn't understand what is white privileged. I have no idea who Joe Rogan is but mentioned Ricky Gervais. Mr Gervais came to international fame with his series The Office which he wrote, starred in an directed. Every major character in that show was white even though it was set in Slough which has a large South Asian population and it would have been more realistic if it had a more racially diverse cast. None of the characters had to specifically be white but because at the time Mr Gervais only viewed things through a white prism, he made them all white. So I'm grateful to Ricky Gervais for recognising that he should have done more to encourage greater diversity when he was in a position to do so. His apology is very welcome.

3. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    Medals:
    White privilege appears to be another term for white guilt. I'm white, therefore I must apologize for being inherently racist. It's like the SJW men who apologize for being male.

Most people see the world through their own prism, and writers are no exception. If a writer truly believes they made a mistake by not including a diverse enough cast, that's fine. As a show runner, you can combat that by hiring a diverse writing staff. However, a bunch of pampered celebrities who virtue signal and purposely say what they think people want to hear make me cringe. I prefer sincerity, but since many of them support the neoliberal politicians responsible for policies that oppress black people, maybe they should take responsibility.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    Medals:
    Thanks for the clip. That was tremendous. Joe Rogan describes it so accurately. No wonder his podcast is so successful. “If you really think that as a professional actor you’re gonna to make a difference with racism and crime and violence and police brutality, you should stop acting, ‘cause you should go to a doctor and get your head checked..."

I know exactly what it is. It’s a myth created by people who feel the need to manufacture an excuse for why they haven’t gotten where they wanted to get in life. A myth isn’t what they.need. They only need to look in a mirror to see who is to blame for their own problems. Self-accountability is good.

5. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    People who have got to where they are not by merit but by benefitting from the privilege that society has afforded them over other races are now getting rattled that there might be greater equality in the future. I say BRING IT ON!

6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    Because Rogan was making fun of thirsty celebrities??

White privilege isn't exactly a myth. There's a long history for it. But in the current woke era, it works differently than is asserted that it does.

7. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    Medals:
    But then you're discounting the many white people who didn't have special advantages in life. Many of whom live in poverty or die because they can't afford medical treatment.

As I've pointed out before, affluent white people look down on disadvantaged white people because they assume they're not taking advantage of their privilege. Maybe some black people believe that too. But like Cornel West pointed out, we've had "black faces in high places" that did nothing for their own community. If anything, they benefited the affluent white folks and promoted their agenda. Whether it be Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, Kamala Harris, or Barack Obama. Maybe black folks should be rattled that many of their own leaders don't care about equality, at least when it comes to disadvantaged black folks. I actually do care about equality, and I believe there are bigger issues to solve than the racial makeup of TV shows.

When it comes to privilege, the majority of it exists in the hands of the oligarchs. Most of them are white, some of them are black, and all of them use it to benefit each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    Medals:
    Do you support quotas for hiring? For example, any large business would have to hire a certain percentage of hispanics, a certain percentage of blacks, a certain percentage of Native Americans, a certain percentage of orientals, and certain percentage of whites in proportion to how much of the population is made up by each race.

9. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    Jane Fonda, who has been rich every day of her life since birth, recently said that even poor white people have white privilege -- which could be hard to argue if you took a look at white Appalachians who've been in abject poverty for multiple generations and have never known anything else.

But what does Fonda (whom I like, more or less) care? She's proving her virtue.

And Joe Rogan pointing out the disingenuousness of this kind of celebrity posing doesn't make him insensitive to the existence of white privilege. Refusing to be sanctimoniously PC doesn't mean you're a hater and Rogan is nothing of the sort. But in an era where "silence is violence" you're certainly not allowed to use any language that isn't certified by the woke crowd.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    I'm not discounting it at all but it's a separate issue. Financial inequality, unequal access to healthcare, homelessness and a wide range of other issues impact many white people but they impact on black people disproportionately. This isn't about individual white people or individual black people but the bigger picture of why an entire race are treated unfairly. If people recognise that they have been part of system that has been perpetuating this disparity for ages they shouldn't be ridiculed or criticised but their apology should be welcomed as the first step towards bringing about change.

11. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    I support equality and considering all ways of how we are best to achieve this. If we have equality there is no reason to have quotas.

12. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    Oh, yes they should -- depending on how they do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    Medals:
    Jim Clyburn is the highest ranking African American in Congress, and he endorsed Joe Biden. As the architect of the 1994 crime bill, Biden is largely responsible for the mass incarceration of black people today. Biden also supported a bill in the Senate that would have made investigating police officers for misconduct much more difficult. Personally, I think that's a bigger offense worth apologizing for than not having any black actors in your cast. Did Obama help end police brutality or other issues facing black people? It's sad to say, but even black leaders have been part of that system of oppression. My being white no doubt influences why I'm more concerned with oppression in general, although I certainly understand the role racism plays too. That said, certain attitudes towards oppressed whites remind me of how male victims of sexual assault are sort of cast aside because they're less likely to experience it than women are.

Right. Not having any black actors in your cast might have been an oversight, whereas crafting the laws that disproportionately penalize black people is clearly intentional.

14. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    Medals:
    The idea that life is supposed to be fair and we can eliminate "privileges" people have is a myth. I think a more accurate word than "privilege" is "advantage." There are all sorts of advantages certain people have in certain circumstances because of their genetics and race isn't one of them. Race can be a factor depending on what part of the world you are in because the majority always has an advantage. It gives them "majority privilege." Maybe life is easier if you're white in America but being white in China would be a disadvantage. That's because the majority of people in China are oriental. In Africa, blacks have an advantage because they are the majority. Whoever is the predominant race that built a certain culture would naturally build in a way that is good for them. Why wouldn't they? If people want to talk about "majority privilege" that's fine because at least that actually exists. I doubt they'll be able to do much about it though.

I've never been concerned with whether or not I have majority privilege. I don't think it's a big enough deal to justify worrying about it. There may be a slight edge in being the majority in America, but it's nothing that I've ever let become a problem for me.

Height privilege refers to people who are tall having an unfair advantage over people of medium height or people of short stature. How do we get rid of height privilege?

Aesthetic privilege dictates that people who are generally considered to be very good looking people have an easier time in life than people of average or less than average physical attractiveness. With no effort required on their part, society gives them advantages because of their genetics which predisposed them to be very aesthetically pleasing. How do we get rid of that "privilege" or more accurately, that advantage?

We don't get rid of those things. Life is not fair and never has been. If one is looking to start dating,, being extremely good looking will help more than being white or being tall. Being exceptionally good looking is also an advantage in careers like acting and modeling.

If you want to become a professional athlete, the genetic advantage there is not one of skin tone or how good looking you are, but being taller than average gives you a huge advantage over people who are shorter than average and some advantage over people who are of medium height.

That's how the world works. There is no way to change these advantages people have because of their genetics. Life has never been fair and never will be. Knowing that, I don't worry about all these various advantages some people have because of their genetics because I don't look at it is a problem; it's simply the nature of reality.

I like Joe Rogan. He's an excellent interviewer. He asks good questions and remains as neutral as I've ever seen an interviewer be. When he started his podcast almost everyone was telling him it would fail because "people's attention spans are too short" to appreciate the two and three hour interviews he does. He proved them all wrong and showed that there is a sizable audience that enjoys in-depth interviews of the type that can't be done in ten or fifteen minutes. He has a much higher opinion of people than his doubters did. For those of us who don't have short attention spans, it's nice to be able to listen to interviews that are as in depth as his are. He's also had a incredibly diverse range of guests from Ted Nugent to Bernie Sanders. He treats them all just as well and shows genuine interest in hearing what they have to say.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    And as long as narcissistic, two-bit celebs are willing to genuflect to one's satisfaction, then who cares how insincere they are? It still helps the problem!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    My spellchecky things changed "woke" to "work". Thought that was profound and portentous.

17. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    Medals:
    Further proving my point, the Congressional black caucus backed Rep. Eliot Engel over his progressive primary challenger Jamaal Bowman. Bowman is African American, by the way.

Engel spoke at a rally against police brutality this month, and was caught on a hot mic saying “If I didn’t have a primary, I wouldn’t care.”

Apparently, the Congressional black caucus doesn't care either. But I'm sure their endorsement is also the fault of us privileged whites.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  18. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    Medals:
    This will probably make some people's heads explode:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,739
    Medals:
    I know. I almost posted a Candace Owens video, but backed down lest I be accused of becoming Jon Voight --- and, to be fair, Miss Owens is one of those funded people who make all-too-accurate criticisms of the left before pulling that "... and therefore Trump is making America great again!" bait-and-switch thing.

There's a lot of that now.

And it supports my preferred conspiracy theory that the political right mounted a deep state black op to infiltrate the political left in order to make it stupid and eventually bring it down, with people like Owens in the wings beckoning "walk away" from the left with ostensibly sensible arguments about it.

Oh, and I think they faked the moon landing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    Medals:
    Yes, and I think it has a lot to do with why left wing populists are often conflated with MAGA and right wing populists. There is some overlap, but we diverge on many key issues.

If that's true, they've definitely had some success. I've heard several leftists turned right wingers say SJWs swayed them to become conservatives. Of course, that makes me wonder how committed they were to leftist ideals to begin with. Just because a right winger occasionally says something reasonable about something doesn't mean their entire agenda is palatable.

I think a lot of people simply want to fit in a group. Neither the alt right nor the regressive left represent my views, but I'm okay with being a leftist that isn't boxed in.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020