1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jill Gascoine has died

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Mel O'Drama, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,508
    Aged 83.

[​IMG]

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-gentle-touch-star-jill-gascoine-dies-aged-83

The Gentle Touch was appointment TV for me in the early Eighties*, and a rewatch the best part of a decade ago proved it has stood the test of time incredibly well. Jill's part in that series' success is not to be underestimated. She had numerous scenes that were terrifyingly good.

* I also watched every episode of C.A.T.S. Eyes, but that information doesn't leave this thread.

2. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,508
    Just because...

3. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,508
    Six minutes of greatness starts at 39 and a half minutes:

It encapsulates everything that Maggie stands for, and she covers a lot of ground.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    I never watched the Gentle Touch or Cats eyes but I do remember her from an Epiosde of Taggart with Mark McManus and she was great in that and very flirty!

When I watched Feud Bette and Joan I googled Alfred Molina and was sorry to read that she was suffering from Alzheimers

Hopefully she is now at peace and sympathies to her family x

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,508
    And here she is flirting with Eric and Ernie. She has quite an effect on Eric, it seems:

Oh, was Alfred in Feud? Another good reason for me to watch it.

He's a great actor. His portrayal of Kenneth Halliwell in Prick Up Your Ears was very powerful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,508
    I haven't seen that many interviews with her over the years. She seemed quite elusive even at the peak of her fame.

Here's one where she is very gracious under a barrage of typically banal questions from Gloria Hunniford while wisely practicing social distancing:

And another in which she remembers a cameraman almost vomiting over her:

7. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,508
  8. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Fabulous actress, loved the Gentle Touch, Cats Eyes was awful.

She was meant to appear in Eastenders as Roxy and Ronnie's mum but I gather her diagnosis of dementia prevented this. Such a shame as she was perfect for a role in Enders.

Anyway very sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    A little off topic but

I have to be honest and say that im not too familiar with his work but he was excellent in this drama playing Robert Aldrich / Director, it was a real award winning performance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,508
    I haven't seen it in many years but I'm sure I'd agree. It was certainly a very different kind of series to The Gentle Touch.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for the pitch when someone suggested putting gritty Maggie Forbes into this complete new setting.

Back in the day - young and easily pleased as I was - I thoroughly enjoyed it. The theme tunes and the cars alone made it worth an hour of my time each week.

Yes - it's a shame about the timing. I've wondered if she filmed any scenes at all. Reports tend to say she withdrew from the role on her first day on-set. I imagine it was a very difficult choice for her as she seemed such a pro.

It's similar for me. I've seen him in very little, but I've found him very engaging - and very different - in the few things I have seen.