1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jane and Lana's Alleged Feud

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,567
    The story goes that Jane Wyman and Lana Turner did not get on and had an on-going feud dating back to their time in Hollywood. Apparently they hated each other so much that they refused to be on set together and they had to be filmed separately and the footage would be edited together to complete their scenes.

Do you think this was true or just some guff made up by the Lorimar publicity department?

Personally, I don't believe it. They seemed to be happy enough being together in this behind the scenes shot.

[​IMG]

I've watched their scenes looking out for how they could have been filmed separately and I can see no evidence of it, in fact they always looked like they were very much together.

[​IMG]

Both actresses were also too professional to refuse to do scenes together nor can I imagine the powers at that be at Lorimar putting up with that kind of behaviour. If Jane hated Lana she was powerful enough to stop her being on the show instead of insisting that they film their scenes separately.

And finally, Lana denied there was a feud when she appeared on The Phil Donahue Show:

She said "It's a bunch of bull. It's all publicity trying to drum up a feud between us. I adore Ms. Wyman. I respect her as a lady and an artist, and there is no feud."

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,966
    We've done this topic before, haven't we -- where's the thread?

While there probably wasn't a feud per se, it's established that Jane told Earl Hamner that Lana wasn't "a lady". Cast members have said Lana had a pattern of taking too long in make-up and wardrobe. And Lana later made a snippy comment in the press asserting that Jane was jealous of Nancy Reagan (which I doubt).

So, yeah, there seemed to be some bruised feelings there: Jane apparently viewed Lana in the same manner that Angela viewed Jacqueline; and Jane's contempt for her, and Lana's tardiness, stopped the writers' plans for Angela and Jacqueline to battle over ruling the roost in the Tuscany Valley in Season 3.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,127
    Lana Turner was "not a lady"? Well at least Jane got the opportunity to call her "you, BITCH!"
    What is it about these old broads that makes the feuds so extra juicy?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Well Lana still took a limo to go to the loo. Tut tut!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 9 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    That's a good question. I think it's because women have a tendency to not let go of these grudges and to come up with creative ways to drive their enemy over the edge. At least that's what women themselves have told me.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,041
    Your first pic reminded me of this:
    Bette and Joan 2.jpg
    Sure, they're all smiles for the camera, but we know that didn't last long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,127
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,239
    There was animosity between them for sure, despite what Lana said when interviewed. However I don't think their 'with or without and preferably without' attitude towards each other was ever to the extent of a feud. Lorimar/CBS built on the two Hollywood Golden Oldie's differences and used it to publicise early FC. Whenever a creator makes a very controversial remark about what his main star said about a prominent guest star it adds more fuel to the fire, jokingly or not.

As with any workplace there does be clashes of personalities. Hollywood then and now is no different. 'Limos to loos', 'She is not a lady' and such palava can only add to viewing. Even though we could only imagine Lana's Jacqueline canoodling with any one of the three men of her generation in the show; during 1982 - '83 i.e. Chao-Li, Douglas or Phillip (all going on in Angela's black imposing Mercedes 600).

Angela and Maggie are in the Falcon Crest living room. Maggie is interviewing Angela. Chase's wife is doing a story about her mother in law dearest Jacqueline, (a scene from season 3, 1983 - '84):

Angela: "Jacqueline is a person I don't care to discuss!"

Maggie: "Angela, you must have so many valuable memories of her? Now, according to my research she came here in the year of the great drought."

Angela: "Yes she did. Disasters seem to come in pairs."

Some time later......

Angela: "She is an opportunist! She only cares for money and power."

Maggie: "You know she might have said the same thing about you!"

• Like Like x 2
  9. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Is that so now. Some men are a bit like your description too I will have you know. Jane vs. Lana / Angela vs. Jacqueline was all made for TV, what else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 9 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Well, that's very true. However, I was addressing @Willie Oleson's question about the public's fascination with these feuds between these Hollywood leading ladies. There are so many books, articles, movies, tv shows, etc., about them. We just don't hear about the feuds between male leads in the same way.
    What do you think is behind the fascination?

11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,481
    Well, gay husbands, murdered ex-lovers, bitchy daughters, stolen boyfriends, Oscar galas... Watch "Feud" and you´ll find out all about it...