Jamie Ewing

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I just got done watching her second episode in Season 8. How did Bobby not throw that winch right off of Southfork is a mystery to me. They didn’t even know this girl existed a couple of days ago, but for some reason they let her stay there. Then when asked Bobby does he believe she’s telling the truth, he replies, “I wanna believe you are.” She goes totally off on him with her “You Ewing brothers are all the same” rant.

I’m like saying, “excuse me, who’s house are you staying in?” SMH

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +685
    Yes, she certainly felt entitled to stay there didn't she? I would have loved to hear one of the Ewings ask Jamie "Jamie, why do you only visit us when you're desperate"? All those years and not a letter, not a phone call, not even a postcard. But now she'll accept a car and a new wardrobe.

She had one mannerism that really bugged me - the way she pronounced anything ending in "ing" Somebody rings her doorbell: "Come - eeeeng!!

The dumbest idea was that since she got along with all the Ewings except JR and Jamie and he could barely stand each other while at home so what does Sue Ellen propose? How about having Jamie work for JR? That way they can see each other all day and all evening long! Brilliant! Oh no, that couldn't possibly turn out badly.

I did like her confrontations with Marilee Stone though, especially the one where she pushed her into the Southfork swimming pool!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,902
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    To be honest, Jamie belonged to Southfork so much more than Donna Dread´s Miss Ellie...I´d have loved to see everybody at the airport giving her an icy welcome the way they did with poor Jamie...

[​IMG]

FakeEllie: What happened to the poor boy?
    Ray: She just saw you and fainted...
    FakeEllie: Does anybody know who he is...?​

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Jamie was just a contrivance to get a couple of younger, attractive actors on the show. It's preposterous that there would be a second Ewing brother as the third founder of Ewing Oil who was never mentioned in the first several years of the show. I steadfastly refuse to accept her existence!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,902
    Digger was a drunk and Jock a compulsive liar (Margaret? Amanda?). What I found strange is that they really had something to do with Ewing Oil...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,122
    I was never a fan of Jamie the moment she set foot on Southfork but that was due to the actress chosen to play the role. I cannot believe the producers decided to dead end a character like Katherine in favour of this. Something extraordinary happened behind the scenes between last season when we leave Dallas with Bobby lying on the floor in the Ewing Office to this season when Afton discovers Bobby. How did the producers manage to go from building something special with Dallas and then throwing caution to wind by discharging Afton and Katherine and employing the services of Jamie, Mandy and then the unthinkable...recasting Miss Ellie.

:log:

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    to be fair, wooing the coveted Three's Company crowd via their Suzanne Somers replacement probably seemed like a stroke of genius to someone who'd ingested enough coke to fell a rhinoceros.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
  9. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +685
    You can't put Mandy in the same category as Jamie and the recast Miss Ellie. Mandy had a purpose: She was supposed to be JR's next wife. Mandy was someone JR was happy with. I couldn't have been the only one bored of seeing JR and Sue Ellen's pathetic marriage, the dysfunction and the constant breaking up and getting back together. How many times could they have repeated that cycle before you'd have been bored? Or were you already bored? I was already bored because it was always the same thing over and over. That means JR and Sue Ellen's marriage was predictable and predictable is never good.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I also liked the idea of JR and Mandy and hated that they dropped that. JR and Sue Ellen back and forth had become tiresome. As for Jamie, I she added nothing to the show. She drops on them unannounced and uninvited and her entitlement was annoying. I was on JR's side. Of course he was suspisious as they all should have been.

She acted offended at JR's concerns which were valid and her freeloading off of them as sickning as well. I did not blame JR for finally kicking her off the ranch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,122
    I see your point Kenny but I was dumbfounded why Mandy was thrust upon us when we already had a long established character like Afton. Sure Afton annoyed me at times with that whimsical voice but she (and more notably) the actress deserved better than appearing in the first few episodes before getting packed off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,902
    I always blamed Sue Ellen for taking Jamie as a permanent guest. There was a homoerotic vibe between them especially after Swellin bought her clothes and a car. Come on, if it had been a man, we´d say she was trying to seduce him. No wonder that J.R. was so jealous of her...Their relationship reminded me of Laura's and Ciji's on "Knots" (abused housewife plays milf to a young openminded girl...) much to the hub´s chagrin. Besides, Sue had just been told off by Pam (was she in love with that Barnes woman too?) and needed another shoulder to cry on, so to say...though honestly, what I did like about Miss Ellie´s absence is how quickly Sue Ellen put herself in the Ewing matriarch´s place.

[​IMG]

She even inspired the name of a lesbian
    bar in Dallas (true story!!!)​

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,012
    :clap::clap::clap:

14. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +191
    The character was not a bad idea (although I also hated the retconning of Jason into the show), but she was written with very little charm and no humor. What if Jamie had a good sense of humor and gave as good as she got and wasn’t all petulant and bitter and huffy? And what if she were played by an actress who could pull that off?

I also like the idea that Jamie might not be exactly who she represented herself to be. They only briefly explored this with Jenna catching her in a lie, and then it was never brought up again.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019 at 2:23 PM