1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SoapLand The Final Battle

How Will It End?

Dismiss Notice

J.R. announcing Bobby and Jenna’s engagement at the Oil Baron’s Ball

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Chris2, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +741
    This may sound mean, but Pam’s look at the ball when the engagement is announced is unintentionally one of the more satisfying moments of the series. This is the woman who was having an emotional affair with Mark prior to her officially leaving Bobby; the woman who left Bobby multiple times; the woman who packed up their son and left Southfork without really discussing it with her husband.

I’m a Pam fan, but she did not treat Bobby all that well. She was always in control of that relationship and was the one who decided when they’d be together and when they wouldn’t. The relationship was always about Bobby chasing after her. She deserved that little public humiliation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +869
    Regardless, I still think it was a shitty way for Pam to find out. It obviously wasn’t intentional on Bobby’s part but he should have let her know that’s where the relationship with Jenna was heading. If it had been the other way around, and Bobby had learnt Mark and Pam were engaged, he would've been furious.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,215
    This was actually one of my very favourite scenes in the entire shows run. I found it really touching. JR at his unfeeling, selfish worst (best?) and the expression in Victoria and Patrick’s eyes such showed depth and emotion. My eyes misted over aswell. I loved Pam and Bobby in this season more than ever.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,526
    Medals:
    It was a great scene but not for the reasons given in the first post. After it was decided to split up Bobby and Pam there was always an expectation from viewers that they would get back together and then JR threw a massive spanner in the works out of pure spite. Brilliant drama and superbly acted by Patrick and Victoria: they said nothing but their faces said everything.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Bobby wasn't exactly perfect either he would easily neglect Pam when he was in his obsessive power for control of Ewing Oil phase.

Did love that scene though Patrick and Victoria's chemistry with just eye gazes was Hotter than an erupting volcano. Bobby and April and Bobby and Ann could only dream of creating such sizzling onscreen moments with just a look.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,855
    Medals:
    For me, the linchpin moment is back at the ranch that night, and what Sue Ellen said to Bobby. He should have leapt over the coffee table right there and killed her.

Killed her dead.

So she might as well have let Mark stick it in before she did?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +10,087
    Medals:
    Interesting observations about Bobby and Pam's relationship @Chris2
    I haven't really thought about it but you do make a valid case for that the relationship was very much on Pam's terms. They did have a pattern of bad communication and how she kept leaving him and then coming back. It was never he who left her. It was always the other way and whatever reason, her family, her inability to have kids, the fight over Ewing Oil, her being burnt badly in the accident, it all came down to the same thing. She left him.

I think the only thing in their relationship that she had no say about was when he let her go after Katherine had read him that letter. Pam had wanted to come back to him then. But before she had a chance to tell him he told her that he was letting her go. It was also one of those excellent, heartbreaking scenes and it totally worked.

Then as for the actors, I can't do anything but agree with what so many of you have already said about them. Their chemistry was excellent and I love the fact that they could convey so much emotions without saying a word. That scene when JR announce Jenna and Bobby's engagement is heart breaking because of Bobby and Pam's reactions and it is excellent drama. :clap:

And yes I think most of the viewers were rooting for Bobby and Pam to get back together again this season so we do get emotionally invested in the characters and wait for it to happen. So to watch JR pull a stunt like that gets to us too. Although I know one exception though, as one of my friends actually wanted Bobby and Jenna to get married this season!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,959
    Pam.jpg
    I just had to remind myself how draw-dropping beautiful was Pam (Victoria) by uploading this still from the episode we're discussing. In this scene she looks like a grecian goddess.
    This scene was a masterstroke from the writers. There is JR Ewing lurking about the hall. We're given a glimmer of hope - with prompting by Mandy - that Pam is going to speak with Bobby in regards to rekindling their romance. JR overhears the conversation and assumes control of the situation. But the scene at the end where Bobby locks eyes on Pam sums up how we regard our Romeo & Juliet.

A Ewing marrying a Barnes was always going to lead to trouble. But is it really fair game to place this couples troubles entirely on Pam when she has to deal with the brother-in-law from hell? What chance did this couple really have to live their happily ever after? I get your point in regards to receiving some perverse pleasure seeing Pam suffer after JR's announcement.

Sidenote. This is the exact moment Sue Ellen witnesses - once again - what a low life JR can be.

Sue Ellen.jpg

Now here is a woman who understands how brutal her husband can be...and still loves him.​

9. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I have to admit my first post was partially snarky. I’m serious about Pam being in control of the relationship, but I understand that Bobby had his faults too. But I think he was always more willing to fight for the relationship than she was.

I do have to admit this is a heartbreaking scene. The actors are marvelous and their chemistry is second-to-none. Hagman always got a lot of attention, and rightfully so. But to me, Bobby and Pam were the heart and soul of the series. When either of them was absent, the show suffered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,215
    Pam and Bobby were the heart of the series. And yes @Rove VP was Jaw-Droppingly Beautiful. This season and the first half of the following she was utterly stunning. I enjoyed Mandy’s care for Pam here. She was fun when she was with Cliff. It used to be such a good show didn’t it?

11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,155
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    [​IMG]

"So Pam, Cliff told me you and he used to be trailer trash. Does it mean that I have a chance?"
    "(Beetch please) No way honey. There are many kinds of trash. And then there´s you!"​

12. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Medals:
    Actually Mandy came from a middle class family. What is the connection with "trailer trash"? If you're referring to promiscuity, Mandy slept with two men on Dallas. Aside from Miss Ellie, what woman on Dallas was less promiscuous than Mandy?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,855
    Medals:
    And later that night in the Southfork living room, she proves she's just as much a low life as her husband.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,155
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Sometimes a pic is just a pic, and a joke is just a joke...:spinning:

15. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Medals:
    Fair enough. :)