J.R. and a Younger Woman

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ray_Krebbs, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I might be alone, but I like the idea of J.R. marrying a much younger woman, but Cally was the least bit his type. He should have gotten with someone smart, sassy and business savvy. Greg and Paige worked for me on KL. Marilee Stone could have had an illegitimate daughter. Imagine that. The daughter could be like her mother, and they each have something the other wants and find an unusual new kind of love. After they get married, it is revealed she is Cliff's daughter lol. What are your ideas?

2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    I like the idea of JR marrying Mandy who was considerably younger, although not because she was younger, just because they were happy together and she seemed to be the one woman who could have kept him so interested in her that he wouldn't have felt the need to cheat. Honestly, I don;t know that there was any woman who could have kept JR from cheating, but if there was one, it was Mandy. I know that he cheated on her with Angelia Nero but that was bad writing. There was no need for that to happen. He certainly wasn't in love with Angelica and I don't even know that he liked her! In addition to that, they had a business deal which she certainly wasn't going to pull out of if he hadn't had sex with her.

Considering there was no way that their business deal required him to sleep with her and considering Angelica wasn't as pretty as Mandy and JR didn't even particularly like Angelica, why sleep with her and tarnish his relationship with Mandy? It made no sense! It was bad writing. Mandy was the closest there was to a perfect woman for JR and I have no doubt that she would have been intensely loyal to him had they married. That would have given Dallas a much needed breath of fresh air after the predicability of JR and Sue Ellen breaking up and reconciling over and over again had gone to the well one too many times.

3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superhero

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,436
    Medals:
    JR and Sue Ellen were too good as a couple to be kept apart for too long, but I suppose Mandy was the only other one that worked in a pairing with JR.

Having said that, I often thought Kimberley Cryder was a good match for JR - devious in her own right.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,338
    Medals:
    Yes. You're alone. :D

5. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I think J.R. and Cally worked very well, however odd the relationship came about. And why isn't she his type? Maybe not for parading in front of his business associates, but she's good looking, devoted, loyal if you treat her okay, and also naive and vulnerable. Sounds like the perfect type of wife for J.R., and Cally did get wiser over time. He was a fool to alienate and dump her in Season 13 DVD after they had been happy for many months before, but Season 13 DVD was a disastrous season for J.R. all round really.

Surely Sue Ellen knew J.R. far too well in comparison?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    Please, hit me with a 6 by 4. Is the idea of JR and a younger woman simply a ruse to make JR virile? I hated the idea of JR and Cally together. Even watching Dallas the first time around when Cally came along I just wanted to vomit. Any other actress (despite how good she was at her craft) was still going to have me running for the toilet. JR with a much younger woman came off creepy - and not in a good way. If I was going to accept JR with someone other than Sue Ellen it would have been Mandy Winger.

7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,992
    Medals:
    I totally agree. I never thought it was credible that JR would want to remarry Sue Ellen who was by then an aging unstable recovering alcoholic who was unlikely to give him any more heirs which he craved. He had systematically abused her verbally, psychologically and emotionally for many years and claimed he loved her while he clearly had an eye for younger and more exciting women. Doesn't sound like real love to me.

Mandy would have been a credible wife for him for a few years before he could ditch her when she got past her prime and trade her in for someone younger.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +421
    J.R., as a wealthy man, would have had a lot of women to choose from. Is that hick Cally really the best he could do?

9. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +737
    He didn't exactly choose to marry her either time.

I kind of liked JR and Cally though, or more I just liked Cally. They overplayed her naivety and general hickness a bit but I liked that what you saw was what you got, at least until JR started to mess with her and she had to play the same game to get out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +667
    No, no, no, no, no and... no. There is no woman in the world who could have prevented J.R. from his affairs, least of all Mandy.

I haven't watched Dallas episodes beyond Linda's exit but I liked Cally's character. She alluded to the kind of innocence and naïveté Sue Ellen likely had years before when she and J.R. were first married.

11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,734
    Medals:
    While JR and Cally were a mismatch, wasn't that the point of the relationship?

12. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    Since I said I don't know that there was any woman who could have kept JR from cheating, seems to me we agree more than disagree. I liked Cally too but JR ended up cheating on her as well.

Since they were already taking the story in the direction of Sue Ellen finally giving JR a divorce since they were so dysfunctional as a couple it comes down to who you find to be a more credible, more believable future wife for JR: Mandy or Cally. I liked both Mandy and Cally but Mandy had more in common with him from a perspective of being closer in age to JR than Cally was, and Mandy coming from a background that was more compatible with JR's than Cally's background was.

13. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +649
    I always thought it was ironic that Cally was a lot like Valene, whom he despised.
    Cally was from a poor, rural background as Val. She was honest and innocent but had strength running through her.
    Maybe the real reason he hated Valene so much wasn't because she was "white trash," but rather she was one of the few people, like Pam, that he couldn't corrupt.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +277
    JR was all about the chase. As soon as he achieved his goal, he would go on to the next one. No woman, young or old, was going to settle him down for too long

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,103
    Medals:
    Mandy was lovely.

But that was both JR and the show's MO. Sex and business were inextricably linked. And JR was all about the chase. If JR sleeping with Angelica qualifies as "bad writing" so then an awful lot of DALLAS.

Besides, Angelica was lovely.

Which would be lovely for JR, but perfection is a dramatic dead end for the viewer. That's bad writing.

Yeah, Kimberly was lovely.

But she did have the kid ...

He wasn't looking for a wife so it wasn't about lining up candidates and choosing the best one. Besides, I thought Cally was lovely.

Agreed.

We don't really know what Mandy's background was. That's part of what was so great about her. She was like a fantasy figure come to life with no history, no baggage.

Agreed.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I actually prefer Mandy with Cliff than J.R.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    Medals:
    Very well observed. That never occurred to me at all. :)

18. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    Sex and business were occasionally linked? Only in exceptional circumstances. Even if for some reason JR had had sex with every woman he did business with, women made up maybe one out of five, at best, of the people he did business with. JR's typical deal was with oilmen like Jordan Lee or Jeremy Wendell. So business and sex were linked in 20% of JR's deals, IF he screwed every woman he did business with...when it was probably more like he did one out of two or one out of three women he did business with. There just weren't enough women who owned or controlled oil companies for it to have even possible for business and sex to be inextricably linked. Substitute the word "occasionally" for "inextricably" and you have a true statement.

Even if there had been more women running oil companies in Dallas, JR isn't gonna find every one of them desirable and not every woman is going to find JR desirable either.

There were several times when JR went out of his way to not mix business and sex. The swimming pool scene with Marilee Stone comes to mind. She wouldn't do the deal unless JR screwed her so, no deal. JR turned and laughed at her and said "marilee, you're getting a little too old to be running around with your clothes on."

"Angelica was lovely." Maybe physically but that type of beauty is skin deep. What else besides looks was lovely about Angelica in your opinion?

Angelica was soulless. Angelica had so may unattractive qualities that there isn't enough bourbon in Texas to make risking losing Mandy Winger for a night or two with Angelica seem like a good idea.

It was bad writing because there was no reason to think that Angelica would refuse to deal with JR unless he had sex with her. Sex was pointless, and highly damaging in that situation. andy found out about it.

Good writing would have a situation where JR needs a woman to do something for him and she won't do it unless he goes to bed with her. They did that when JR needed that woman's vote on the committee about the oil tanker collision. It made sense. She wasn't particularly attractive and JR had Cally at hone for that anyway. But she wouldn't vote on JR's side unless he screwed her so it made sense. He'd do anything to save Ewing Oil. So it was good writing.

No marriage is perfect and I don't think a marriage between JR and Mandy would be any exception. I do think Mandy was better suited for JR than any of the alternatives he had. I disagree that a good marriage is a dramatic dead end. I don't equate a good marriage with a dull marriage. A dull marriage is a bad marriage. If a good marriage were what you said it was, Miss Ellie and Jock's successful marriage of over 40 years would have ruined the show. I found Jock and Miss Ellie to be two of the best, most interesting characters in the show. Their having a good marriage didn't damage anything about the show; on the contrary, it helped make the show great.

If good marriages were as dull as you say, who would want a good marriage?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  19. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I think Gary and Val would have noted the irony of J.R. being with Cally, and they would find it amusing.

And yes, J.R.'s dislike of Val in the early 1960s was a combination of jealously with his younger brother Gary being married and just bringing his wife to Southfork and announcing it all to his family, while J.R. was still a bachelor, hence Gary and Val could have the first grandson as Val was pregnant at the time. And then second, J.R. sees that Val is not only "trash" that has married into the Ewing family, but she is far stronger than she appears on the surface, being stubborn and resilient, which is one of the big reasons why insecure Gary completely fell for her. J.R. considers a confident Gary to be a real threat, and Val could give Gary that confidence. Also, remember that it was Val who pestered Gary to take them to Southfork, as Gary was not keen on that at all. Val called it "the biggest mistake of her life" in the 1978 Reunion episodes.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +321
    And yet you are very censorious about Sue Ellen having an affair with a younger man. ‘Perverse,’ is the term I think you used.