Is there a childhood memory of yours in this video?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ome for Christmas, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    It's obviously aimed at Brits, but there's something for everyone.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,319
    Oh - it's wonderful. Like watching my entire childhood, including the stuff I'd forgotten.

And that Ceefax chart at 2:15!! That's my kind of December Top Ten.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    It really is quite something. Not only does it contain stuff I had forgotten about, but it's also actually quite funny too.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,319
    Isn't it just. There's a whole lot of creativity that's gone into putting it together and it's the humour that's really brought it to life.

By the way, I haven't been able to shake the song since watching it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,770
    Let's see from a Swedish perspective:

I remember...

Packman - we played that in middle school on breaks. We had to take turns using the one computer we had in our classroom.

Cassette Tapes & Walkman - I got my first walkman when I was 5. I loved walking around with it and bringing my music with me whereever I went. I tried hanging onto the cassette tapes as long as I could and my uncles copied all my CD's for me to cassette tapes since I didn't get my first CD player until I was like 20 years old!

Filofax - I still use one! I much prefer it over any digital calendar I can have in my smartphone!

Yuppies - Those phones sure were big. I think Zack Morris had one on Saved by the bell.

Mr. men - I had one or two books of this as a child. Translated into Swedish.

Teletext - I used to amuse myself with clicking on the numbers to search information on this on the TV when I was maybe 6 to 10 years old.

Regular maps - I still find them a bit more reliable when abroad than whatever digital GPS platform there is!

Moon boots - We called them "Moon joggers". I had those when I was in elementary school. We all did they were so popular!

Michael Jackson - He was the most popular singer among my friends. Everybody loved him and listened to him all the time. I vividly remember watching the black and white music video which was really cool on MTV.

Fraggles Rock - I loved that show. I had the cassette tape of it and listened to it all the time. I think in the Swedish version.

Acid something the smilie symbol - we were told it symboled something bad and we weren't allowed to use it.

Shoulder pads - Had them too in my jacket when I was like 12. About five years after it was no longer cool.

Crazy dads - I remember that troll.

BMX - All the boys in my middle school class had those type of bikes and it went so slow for them to bike on them as they had to peddle more times than the girls who had bigger bikes.

Mac wheels - Our films at school arrived on those 16 millimeter format. It was an event to watch a movie about another country. I loved that.

Top cat - I occasionally watched that cartoon. But it was not a favorite.

Connect four - we had that game too.

VHS - I used those until a few years ago. It was easier to record more onto them than the recordable DVD's that came after and tried to replace them.

Big hair - My older cousins had that.

Chenobyl - We weren't able to be outdoors playing at kindergarten due to radio active waste that had come to Sweden.

Rubik's cube - played with that one too.

Blind date - I think the Swedish version was called "Vem tar vem".

Margaret Tatcher - the first UK leader I remember.

Berlin Wall - I remember watching the news when it happened. My parents told me it was history happening now. I didn't understand it all. But I was moved by the people who were now free to reunite with their families and travel from East to West. I understood it was an important moment that changed the world for the better and united Europe.

The old phone - We had those.

Collected rubbers - I did that when I was in middle school.

"The bergsprängare" big tape recorder worn on shoulder to listen to music - I remember those too. I think we had one.

Dirty Dancing - Love the movie. Didn't watch it until the 1990s.

Love Boat - Watched that in reruns in 1990s.

The Shark - watched a sequence at a friend's house in the early 1990s.

Fame - Watched that in the 1990s reruns.

Naked gun - Didn't watch it until the 1990s.

E.T. - Watched this movie in the 1990s as well.

I recognize but I don't remember the event in itself from when it happened since I was too young then:

Who Shot JR! - The episode was broadcast the day after I was born. Of course as a Dallas fan I know how important this event was.

Charles & Diana's wedding - The most iconic wedding of the decade for sure.

Knight rider - Never watched this. But I know it was David Hasselhoff's first big show.

Lockebee - heard about later on. No memory of.

John Lennon dead - Know about it, no memory of it.

Star raiders - I didn't watch Star Wars until in this decade. I've watched the original triology now. Have two from the second one left and also the most recent installments.

Willy Wonka - Familiar name, but not much else.

Sam Fox - I think she was considered a sex symbol at the time.

Raves - Heard of it, never went to it. Supposedly it had lots of drugs at those parties.

Falcon's war - only heard of it afterwards.

Elvis death - Happened before I was born. But of course I am aware of it.

Soda stream - I think some of my friends still make these.

maradona - I know he's an argentine football player.

Ronald Reagan - I know who he was. Have no memory of him being president.

Freddie Kreuger - Watched nightmare on elm street in the 2000s.

Live Aid - I know of the concert. I don't remember it.

What hits me watching this is how many things we imported from abroad and things that were global and not just here!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,834
    I found teletext so frustrating to read.
    If the info was more than 1 page, it took them forever to move to the next page (this could not be done manually) except the page that I wanted to read, that only lasted a few seconds (or so it seemed).
    So if I wanted to read page 3/4 again, I had to wait for page 1/4 and 2/4 and eventually page 3/4.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    I don't know if I remember feeling frustrated with at the time, though looking back, it's just awful to think about now.

I do recall once looking for cheap holidays and there must have been 60/80 pages of the stuff.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,279
    What a great music video thanks @Ome, that was a lot of childhood memories and as much as I can remember, there were also a lot that I had already forgotten, but what a great time it was.

And I agree with @Willie Oleson, I always found teletext very annoying to read, often I had to read the whole text, but it just jumped back to the next message. So annoying. :(

• Like Like x 4
  9. Long Christmas Stockings

Long Christmas Stockings Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,266
    Did anyone else ever play Bambozzle!?

I thought it was hi-tec because I had to answer the multiple choice questions by pressing the correct coloured button on the remote control :lol:

[​IMG]

It was so frustrating because if you got a question wrong it was back to the beginning - which I did several times as I wouldn't give up and was determined to reach the last question.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    Yes!!!

I remember it just as you tell it and how I would always keep at it until I reached the end. Gosh, what a blast from the past this one is.

• Like Like x 3