Classic Soaps (I'm Still) Watching Another World

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Canon, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    Medals:
    Judi Evans, the actress who plays the new Paulina, is one whose acting style I've never really appreciated much. She's currently on Days of Our Lives reprising a role she created in the 80's and she's always just a bit too much for me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Medals:
    Oh God, now I want to know what happened next!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    Medals:
    :D Well, that was one and a half writing teams ago. Adrienne and Lucas are engaged now. Kate and Lucas have mostly made up. They are currently busy dealing with three escaped convicts who are intent on killing half the town, including Kate. Kate, Adrienne and Lucas this week participated in a charade that resulted in trapping one of the escaped convicts in a panic room. As of Friday one of the convicts had set off multiple bombs around Salem but Kate, Lucas and Adrienne all appear to be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Medals:
    I may have mentioned it before, but JE's Paulina cried so often in the mid-1990s that some folks on a (very early) internet discussion group called her Bawlina. While most everyone loved Jake/Paulina, I tended to root for their break-up because it seemed Jake was typically the reason she was once again bursting into tears. I wonder if JE had a "must cry X times per week" clause in her contract.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    I always liked Jake and Paulina as a couple, but it seemed that the characters were happier when paired with others...though I will also admit to not really seeing much of the show during the Phelps era.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Medals:
    Paulina recast was horrid! Sorry, JE fans, but it was. Paulina #01 was beautiful, cunning, and sexy - but Paulina #02 was frumpy and awkward.

7. Avery Merry Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Medals:
    The "frumpy and awkward" aspect of JE you mention is likely what you recall as part of her later stories (a period in the late 1990s), and not how she played the role in the early 1990s when she assumed the role. Even so, the "awkward" part was on the page and not just her acting choice. Evans and Charlotte Savitz (the hack exec producer at the time) met and decided to write in Evans's struggles with post-pregnancy weight rather than just ignore it when it was obvious there was an off-screen issue. As usual, Savitz took what could have been a timely plot point and turned it into a exploitative mess (with lots and lots of crying, natch).

Keep in mind that the role of Paulina was written with Evans in mind for the part. The death of Douglas Watson caused a lot of plotlines to be rewritten, postponed, and dropped entirely, so by the time they were able to insert Paulina into the show, Evans was no longer available. Cali Timmins did a great job with the part, but as soon as Evans was available, the producers signed her up--which speaks to how adamant they were in their original vision.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Medals:
    Right now, Jake is the only one making her smile...

[​IMG]

She's seems to be finally done with Grant, which allows Grant to pursue his brother's lover.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Avery Merry Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Medals:
    For all the build-up they made for Grant/Paulina (the "Cinderella" element), it is surprising how quickly and completely the writers separate them and almost never mention the romance they had. It's certainly easier when both characters get recast at almost the same time, but good soaps typically do not "forget" two characters were once heavily involved. The show was obviously very eager to move them on to other, separate stories.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Medals:
    Great! Rachel has just had another one of those 'I was once in your shoes' scenes, this time she can relate to the situation with Olivia's pregnancy. Is there anything this woman hasn't been through?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Avery Merry Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Medals:
    The Olivia situation mirrors Rachel's situation with.....Olivia's father, Russ. She wanted more than anything to be the wife of respected Dr. Russ, part of the respected Matthews family. Well, at least until she met wealthy, sexy Steve Frame. After seducing Steve during a break-up with his true-love Alice, Rachel thought her pregnancy would make Steve dump Alice and marry her. It didn't quite work out that way! Even if Olivia was being totally up front with everyone regarding her bun in the oven (hint hint), Sam Fowler is NO Steve Frame (at least this iteration of him). Busybody Aunt Liz is right on this one...ditch that loser and find yourself a better man!

She's been front burner on a soap since the mid-1960s, so yeah...pretty much everything. Off the top of my head:

abandoned by her father at a young age
    multiple marriages (including three weddings with the same man!)
    widowed
    amnesia
    blindness
    multiple kidnappings
    arrested/tried for murder
    miscarriage
    stalked by killer(s)
    "who's the daddy" situation
    held hostage by evil double
    murdered someone in self-defense
    "very" late-in-life pregnancy
    ...and one plot development in the very final months of the series that I can't even bring myself to mention, since it was so ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Avery Merry Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Medals:
    November 1st is the birthday of Anna Stuart, Bay City's Donna Love Hudson. She was an integral part of the success of Another World.

Halloween, 1986 (with Mac! And Reginald...and a whole lot of people @Canon won't know :re:)

from 1992

• Like Like x 3
  13. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Medals:
    And so it begins...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:
    That was 10 minutes of delicious soap, eventhough I'm not familiar with the story.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Medals:
    Gosh, Felicia really dislikes Lorna, I mean she really dislikes her. Granted Lorna was a bitch to Jenna, but Felicia coming down so hard on someone so young seems a little bit out of character. If it was Rachel, she probably be identifying with Lorna's behaviour.

AW139.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Avery Merry Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Medals:
    Felicia and Lorna share a lot in common, and that perhaps makes Felicia (and the writers) a bit too clever for their own good. It might not be mentioned in the episodes you are watching, but when we first met Carl Hutchins, he was Felicia's mysterious lover from overseas. Yes, he had ulterior motives for coming to Bay City, but the pretext for his arrival was visiting his darling "Fuh-LEE-cee-uh" (love how he pronounced her name).
    So they share a bad-boy lover. Stay tuned for more common ground to be established.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    Medals:
    I loved Alicia Coppola as Lorna. I think she's a terrific actress and I thought she crafted a pretty interesting character.

@Canon has Morgan Winthrop turned up yet?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Medals:
    Coppola is great, she's popped up in so many things I've liked over the years. I'm glad Lorna becomes an interesting character - right now she's stuck in the same kind of scenes she's had since she arrived - arguing with Dean and Matt about Ace Records while winding up Jenna. Carl has been gone for a while now and still nobody has found out about their connection, so there has been no real development for the character of Lorna. It's only when she gets to square off with Felicia that you get to see some kind of spark.

I'd forgotten about that!

Please let it be soon!

No...and Cass needs someone to keep his mind occupied while Frankie is in Peru. He can be a bit irritating without Frankie at his side.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Avery Merry Christmas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,290
    Medals:
    I think Morgan doesn't show up until 1993 (?), because his arrival ushers in a huge story involving Lorna that really cements the idea (in my mind, at least) that Alicia Coppola is the heiress to the Anne Heche throne in Bay City. The prefect combination of great actress and great material.

I'm pretty sure Carl/Charles Keating's disappearance from AW that time was when he left to film the nighttime series Going to Extremes, a show about students attending a 'questionable' medical school in the Caribbean. His in-and-out style in this period must have been a logistical nightmare for the AW writers, who wanted him around full time but could not nail him down (with a contract) until after that show got cancelled.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    Medals:
    That's the storyline I was thinking of when I think of Lorna becoming a compelling character. I'd really like to rewatch that story--not only because it was so good, but also because I remember thinking Grayson McCouch was so adorable.

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)