Peyton Place Ideas for a remake.

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Ked, May 29, 2018.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,470
    Oh yes, and I forgot to mention another change: at first, I was going to have Selena Cross be the unfortunate victim of the Carnival Accident who loses her arm. After reading "Return to Peyton Place" and going over what I'd like to have happen in the later seasons, I realized Selena would need to have *both* arms still. So I decided it'd be poor Lisa Yoowing who loses her right arm.

This does put a dent in her plans to become an actress, although that same season, she ends up finding out about a travelling group of actors who're putting on a show of "Peter Pan." Lisa auditions for two parts: Captain Hook, and Mrs. Darling, which she lands. She has a genuine hook-hand, after all. ;)

Not only that, but when Leslie Harrington is found murdered, some suspicious eyes look in the direction of Mr. and Mrs. Yoowing, as they had previously sued Mr. Harrington over their daughter losing her arm in his park, only to be given less than half of what they wanted.

[Yes, the "Yoowings" sue Mr. "Harrington." ;)]

Of course, it would revealed it was someone else who killed Leslie... I just haven't decided who yet.

2. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,470
    @Willie Oleson I also came up with an idea for the final season: in the 6th Season Finale, Constance receives a call from Allison's agent/publisher Bradley (with whom Allison has an affair with) that "Samuel's Castle" is going to be published.

So the 7th and final season is focused on the book being advertised, published, sold in Peyton Place for all the residents to read... and get *deeply* offended by it, before Bradley calls Allison again with the news that he's sold the book to Hollywood. And then, for Episodes 15-20, a movie-making production team comes out to Peyton Place to film certain outdoor scenes. At first, the town feels very put upon that their quiet little lives have been intruded upon...

...that is, until the movie-makers start asking actual citizens to be in the movie as extras. That softens the town. :lol:

But in Episode 15, it starts off in Constance's kitchen as she's preparing breakfast for her husband and daughter. Mike comes down, they share a kiss and some cuddles before sitting down at the table, and begin a discussion about a TV show they saw last night:

"I still can't believe they recast her."
    "Well, they didn't have much choice. The actress wanted out, but the character was too important to kill off."
    "I know, but still, it kind've ruins the whole experience. We've spent so many years with the same person, and now they feel like a stranger."

Just then, a young woman whom we've never seen before casually walks in, saying, "Good morning, Mother. Hey, Mike." before going over to the fridge and pouring herself some orange juice.

"Morning, Allison," Constance and Mike say in unison, sipping at their coffee.

Then the abruptly lower their cups, exchange looks before turning to stare at the young woman, who calmly takes a seat at table, helping herself to some breakfast.

"Who the hell are you?!" demands Constance.

The young woman gives Connie a stare. "You just said. I'm Allison."

"...No, you're not."

"What are you- oh wait, its the hair, isn't it? Yes, I suspect you've all gotten used it to being short, eh? Well I decided to let it grow out, but I've been wearing it in a bun this whole time, so you probably never noticed." She says all this with a straight face.

Constance and Mike are at a loss... until a laughing Allison comes in, revealing that the young woman is actually the actress who's going to play her (or rather, "Rachel Welles") in the movie. Dr. and Mrs. Rossi give out relieved laughs as well, and commend the actress for keeping in-character.

We also get to meet the actress who'll be playing Constance in "Samuel's Castle." I decided that it should be Rita Moore, a fictional actress who appeared in the book "Return to Peyton Place." In it, she wasn't going to be in the movie version of Allison's book, which I thought was a bit of a shame, so I'm changing that for this remake. Rita actually had quite a developed background and personality, and surprisingly so, considering she only appeared in two scenes (three if you count the part early in the novel where she walks right by Allison in New York).

Rita Moore was described as such: "Her soft, silver-blond hair caught the light and shimmered like a jewel. She had high cheekbones that made a diagonal of shadow in her cheeks, like smudges made by her thumbs. Her eyes were sea green and her dress was a deep green embroidered in gold. It clung to her body like a second skin, and where her breasts swelled out of the top her flesh was like heavy cream."

Despite this pleasant description, Rita Moore says of herself, "I used to have a body... When I see myself in old movies on the telly, it breaks my ever-beating heart."

Of course, that didn't stop Allison from admiring her beauty. Heck, Mike Rossi obviously fancied Ms. Moore, and acted a bit like a smitten schoolboy around her. Fortunately, Constance wasn't the jealous type and chose to make a joke out of it.

It stays that way in the remake, since I don't want there to be any stupid love-triangle between Rita, Mike and Constance. Rita does end up hanging around Constance, in order to figure out the best way to play her. Constance is a bit torn between being supremely flattered that an actress like Rita Moore is playing her... and not wanting to look too far back into the past as Rita asks her questions.

In Episode 20, the final episode the movie-makers appear in town, we get the car crash scene with Marion Partridge, who drives right into the white gazebo. You remember your idea of having the other driver be the model whose photo used to sit on the mantel in the MacKenzie home? I decided he's one of the actors for the movie. The reason neither Allison or Constance notice him until now is because they've both been avoiding scenes that have a lot of people, although they have taken peeks at scenes with fewer characters. But Marion's car crash attracts the attention of pretty much everybody in town, so there was no avoiding things this time!

Episode 26 is when Rita Moore returns to Peyton Place because she heard the news that Allison was involved in a car crash with Lewis Jackman, which resulted in his death (Ep23). She manages to give Allison a bit of a pep talk... and I'm thinking that *maybe* she comes to the rescue of Constance while she's being molested by Joe Rossi. Maybe.

Episode 29 is when "Samuel's Castle - the Movie" premieres, and it does so in Peyton Place itself. The movie serves as a bit of a recap for the series as a whole; while it mainly focuses on events that happened in the earlier seasons, particularly the first, it also touches upon moments that are still relevant in the later ones.

3. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,470
    I recently decided to have the Webber family be black. So that would result in a total of 11 black main characters for the show:

Dr. Harry Miles, neurosurgeon at the Peyton Place Hospital, and great pals with Dr. Rossi and Matthew Swain

Alma Miles, housewife, school board member, and Constance's best friend

Lew Miles, bisexual teen in Allison's year; on-again-off-again lovers with both Joanne and Norman; he ends up joining the police force in S4

Sgt. William Walker, the most prominent cop in Peyton Place, a widower and protective father; he becomes Chief of Police in S4

Joanne Walker, aspiring teen biochemist; recurring character from S3 onward til S7, when she returns to join Dr. Rossi's research team

Nurse Mary Kelley, nurse at Peyton Place Hospital, depended on by both Dr. Rossi and Dr. Miles; Joanne sets her up with William in a later season

Vickie Fletcher, scheming vixen teen from the neighboring town of White River; tries to blackmail Lew into marrying her

Lee Webber, hotheaded biker and former mill-worker; he gets hired by Rodney to work in the latter's garage in S3

Sandy Webber, adulterous wife and waitress, unafraid to go after younger men like Rodney and Lew

Chris Webber, blind musician who ends up falling for Allison in S4, though things turn sour after Ann's "death"

Stephanie Wallace, Allison's New York bisexual fashion model roommate; she kisses Allison once, and her and has a brief romantic subplot with Matt Swain

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 2)