1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just finished the first episode of Dallas

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Ked, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,714
    Medals:
    Always good to do something meaningful in the commercial breaks. :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    Alright, everyone! Season 2, Episode 3!

Huh. I meant to skip the "preview" at the beginning of the episode but couldn't click fast enough, resulting in me seeing Bobby with a *very* attractive blonde in a car, and Pam (who's got a new hairstyle?) asking, "Who's...?" (I didn't hear what the lady's name is, maybe "Joan-a-Lee?" :lol:)

OH MY GOSH ITS ANDREW LAIRD!!!! ITS ANDREW LAIRD! Holy crap, I didn't know he was in Dallas... or did I? I'm vaguely recalling somebody saying that he was... ah, whatever. Either way, DANG... oh my gosh, you guys: remember that episode where Sammy Jo is reading the paper, which has a picture of the Dallas cast? Now I'm imagining that for a while, Andrew Laird gave up lawyering and tried to make it as an actor, but Blake came after him with a higher pay offer, and that's why he came back. But, after a few more years, Andrew went back to acting to pursue his dream, and THAT'S why he disappeared from Dynasty! :lol:

Some gorgeous blonde (the same one from the preview, perhaps? Can't tell) in a silk bathrobe comes out, eating something out of a bowl (ice cream? Soup? Again, can't tell :lol:), and tries to feed him, but he sets it aside.

"All I want is you," he says.

Ick.

Huh. *I* heard the front door opening, and yet they didn't?

Love the use of the mirror as another woman enters the room, with Andrew Laird and the blonde visible in the mirror while the brunette makes a sarcastic remark.

"Melissa," Andrew says in one of the soapy-est tone of voice I have ever heard. :lol:

His wife is awfully casual about his affair, though she casts a scornful look at the blonde.

Wait, huh? ...Oh, the screen cut to a shot of the newspaper being read, and I saw something about the President, and thought, "Wait, Andrew is the president in this show?" So I had to take another look and realized that wasn't the case. X)

Pam is wearing white. Again. :lol: But she still looks gorgeous. I'm surprised they don't put little devil horns on JR, or at least dress him all in black or red.

Oh, so the blonde's name is Jenna Wade?

Uh oh. Its obvious Bobby and Jenna have a past, given how uncomfortable Sue Ellen looks when she starts talking about Jenna but then gets a look from Bobby. Pam remains clueless at the moment - and Lucy has no intention of leaving for school just yet, wanting to stick around just in case Pam catches on. :lol:

But there's no arguing with Jock Ewing: Lucy's off to school.

Hah. Pam comes out and asks to know who Jenna Wade is, but Bobby just says, "Come on JR, let's get to work." And he, JR and Sue Ellen get up and leave.

JR's now on the phone with Andrew Laird. The closest to a Dynasty/Dallas crossover we ever got. :(

HAH! Andrew wants a favor from JR: keep Jenna "away from me." Knows he can't control his own urges, so he's putting the blonde temptress in the hands of JR, eh? Oh dear, I hope this doesn't mean Bobby cheats on Pam! :(

I already know that Bobby and Pam divorce - twice. Which only makes me appreciate Blake and Krystle all the more, since they actually stuck with each other throughout the series run (more or less; she did walk out on him 4 times, but they never divorced, and never cheated).

And btw, what an UGLY yellow phone that is! :lol:

Now JR's calling Jenna. I'm guessing he's going to make her Bobby's secretary, huh?

Pam's wearing yet another white outfit... or rather, very pale yellow.

Y'know, looking at the yellow porch furniture makes me realize that that was a very common color during the '70s: brown, orange and yellow. Those are the colors I remember seeing the most whenever I see anything from that time period. ^^

Pam again asks who Jenna Wade is. Hopefully Miss Ellie will come out and be honest.

So Jenna was a "sort of" fiancee to Bobby at one point? Interesting. ^^ Glad Jock just came out and said it.

Aha! Jenna's on the scene, waving enthusiastically from her car at Bobby. :D

JR says he'll take Bobby's briefcase upstairs for him... and grins that self-satisifed grin of his as Bobby walks over to Jenna. :lol:

Jenna wants a kiss, and Bobby gives it to her... on the cheek. Hah! A nice brotherly kiss, as Jenna puts it.

Now she's acting all delicate and helpless, "I need your advice."

Bobby seems to fall for it and gets in her car, taking the wheel. ^^

Now they're walking along a river surrounded by beautiful green scenery. I'm reminded very strongly of when Krystle and Matthew had their scene out on the hill in the pilot.

Huh. The actress who plays Jenna is starting to look familiar to me... anyone care to inform me? ...she's starting to remind me of the lady who played Chandler's mom on "Friends." I'm probably going to feel really stupid for not recognizing her. :lol:

So blah blah blah, Jenna was involved with Bobby, her dad died, something happened, blah blah blah, something about Andrew Laird's wife threatening an "appointment"...

...and Bobby tells her to find herself a place to live and that he'll pay for it until she can. Whoa, Bobby. I smell trouble...

...although he does unwrap her arms from around his neck and tells her to find a job. Good for you, Bobby!

...except she puts her arms back around his neck and gives him the most snake-like kiss I've ever seen. Oh Bobby, how could you? Though then again, it only lasts for a second or two, and he doesn't seem into it... I don't *think*, anyway... I hope not. 0_0

Huh. The Ewing offices look different from last season. Bigger, but also narrower... and whiter. Not much of an improvement, but still...

WHOA! There's a photo next to Jenna, its one of her with a little kid! ...could it be... *Bobby's* kid?! 0_0

No, it couldn't be. Jenna talks about the kid, Charlie, and Bobby doesn't seem to have any reaction. I'm guessing Charlie is some other guy's kid.

But Jenna's found herself an apartment and just signed the lease. That was awfully fast. ^^

I do like the background scenery of Dallas that we can see through JR's office windows, though. We should have gotten stuff like that in Alexis' office, so that she could look down across Denver and see it as her kingdom. :D

Uh oh, Pam just pulled up right as Bobby got into a taxi. Now she's gonna go in and JR's gonna tell her EXACTLY where to find Bobby! :lol:

Hahahahahaha: "JR, are you tryin' to comfort me?" Oh Pam, you can be so funny when you want to be. X)

JR's trying to be all suggestive and manipulative, but Pam, smart cookie that she is, sees right through it. :D

Huh. So I was wrong, Pam didn't get any address from JR. ^^ Now its nighttime at Southfork...

Pam is once again in another gorgeous white dress... and I'm really starting to get sick of it. :lol: Though she does seem a little testy that Bobby isn't home yet.

JR's wearing a tie that looks oddly a lot like the American flag, somehow. 0_0 And he's rattling off about Jenna's affair with Andrew Laird (yes, I know he's another character on this show, but to me, he'll always be Andrew Laird), while Pam gives him the biggest stank eye I've ever seen her give. Plus her lips are all screwed up in the most p*ssed off pout I've ever seen too. :lol:

The ugly yellow phone rings, and Lucy cheerfully says she'll get it, and she practically dances over, her breasts jiggling freely. X)

Shen then announces, "Its Bobby."

Everybody reacts, and Pam gets up to speak with her hubby.

Ooooooooh boy. "Bobby's been delayed."

Now its day at Southfork.

Pam's taking a morning swim - and finally wearing something OTHER than white. Bobby's there to help her out, smiling all big.

"I'm sorry it took so long, but she's an old friend."
    "What did your 'old friend' want that took so long?"

That's right, Pam. :D

Bobby says Jenna needed help moving things. "So I helped." Oh pfft, Bobby. You can do better than that.

I just now realized Bobby looks like the guy who played Alf in "Lark Rise to Candleford." (If any of you ever get the chance to watch it, I encourage you to take it. :D)

Bobby goes in for a kiss, but the phone rings. Pam answers it. Just as I suspected, its Jenna.

Pam is *not* pleased.

Bobby explains, "Anderson wants her out of town."

"Hey, let's hear it for Anderson!" Right on, Pam.

Hm, I'm gonna pause and guess that Bobby should take Pam with him this time to meet Jenna. That way Pam can keep an eye on things - and if Jenna tries anything, Pam can give her fair warning by punching her so hard it'll knock her teeth out. :D

AHA! Bobby and I think alike, he just suggested Pam comes with him! Oh PLEASE go with him, Pam! Its the only compromise that'll keep you guys from having a needless fight/split-up/whatever!

*sighs in relief* Oh thank goodness, there's a reason why Pam is my favorite character: she smiles and says, "Why don't I?"

Now we're at a playground. Gonna meet Jenna's kid now, huh?

Jenna's all decked out in reddish-pink and beige, while Pam is lathered in blue. Beautiful. X)

Charlie, Jenna's daughter comes up, and Pam asks to see her doll.

Jenna explains Andrew Laird's wife could slam a lot of doors in her face, but Bobby says he'll open them right back up. Jenna says she's grateful to him - and to Pam, too. Hard to say what Pam's assessment of Jenna is at the moment. I'll wait and see.

And now JR and Blake's lawyer are having drinks.

Andrew Laird isn't at all pleased that Bobby is spending so much time with Jenna. He loves her, or so he claims.

Jenna's daughter tells her she can't find her doll... meaning she's going to have to go all the way to Southfork to get it... or Bobby's gonna have to bring it over. ^^

Ooh, JR's arrived on the scene. Interesting turn of events. ^^

Ewwwww, JR tells Jenna its a shame she and Bobby never got married - because it would have been nice to have her "in reach." Ewwwwww, JR, ewwwwwwwwwwww!

JR starts talking... and you all know that you can tell when JR is trying to manipulate someone: when his lips are moving. :lol:

Thankfully, Jenna proves to be no dumb blonde: she correctly guesses he wants her to break up Bobby and Pam.

Gasp! So Charlie *is* Bobby's child? ...I'm guessing Bobby doesn't know... how did JR know? Or was that just a shot in the dark on his part? Jenna's reaction seems to confirm this bit of information, either way.

Now she's calling Bobby.

Now she and he are sitting on a picnic blanket, watching Charlie play with two other girls. Jenna mentions Charlie lost her favorite doll.

Hmm... Jenna's telling Bobby she's thinking about leaving Dallas after all, and the reason is Bobby himself. Bobby reveals he asked her once if Charlie was his. Ahh, so Jenna lied... or *does* she know who Charlie's father is? Is it just like with Alexis not being sure who Fallon's father was?

Ugh, now they're having a conversation about "love"; the type of conversation that makes me question if these people know what it truly is.

Nighttime at Southfork again, and Pam wakes up to Bobby not being in bed with her.

And again, she's in white. Though its justified this time around, its a nightgown, and nightgowns are traditionally white.

She finds him in the kitchen, having a beer.

Pam makes it clear she believes Jenna and Charlie are a problem. She kisses Bobby... oh no,he doesn't kiss her back. :(

Oh Bobby, you big dumb-dumb-dumby-head! DX Oh, he's got Charlie's favorite doll!

Okay, now I feel a little sorry for Bobby: he's clearly thinking of the one child he *might* have in the entire world... who may also be the only child he'll ever have, thanks to the possibility that Pam can't have any more children. :(

Jenna's looking gorgeous... and right there at her front door is Bobby.

He's brought back Charlie's dolly.

She gets him to give her a car ride. ^^

Oh hey! Is that fountain the same for the exterior of Denver-Carrington? 0_0

Pam's in white again (yawn; starting to get sick of it), and having lunch with some dude, apologizing for Bobby's absence.

Oh wait, is this guy Pam's brother? I don't remember what he looks like because he never interested me. :lol:

Oooooooh, he's gone off to make some calls, and runs into Bobby with Jenna. Heeheehee!

"Bobby, you're getting more like JR everyday!" Ooooh, buuuuuuuuuuuuurn! I love it. :D

Pam's now riding a horse, wearing a white shirt and dark blue jeans. How much white does this woman own? Although I am reminded of Diahann Carroll wanting to wear white in all of her scenes as Dominique. ^^

Bobby comes driving up, and Pam comes galloping up.

"Hello." Pam sound p************************ssed. :lol:

Heh heh, Pam gets off her high horse (pun intended; I wonder if that also intentional on the writer's part?) and demands to know "second by second" where Bobby was.

Oh Bobby, of COURSE Pam's jealous, YOU'RE SPENDING ALL YOUR TIME WITH ANOTHER WOMAN! And not just any other woman, you're spending it with THE GIRL YOU WERE GOING TO MARRY. Surely, you can see Pam has every right to feel jealous?

Huh. Pam's got it figured that Charlie might be Bobby's, but she's willing to work things out. Good for you, Pam, being practical like that. X)

Bobby sounds like such a douche when he asks Pam what she wants, and she gives the most reasonable answer, that he come home from work every night because he wants to, that he doesn't spend every day with Jenna. Surely, Bobby, you won't act just like JR about this issue?

"If you can't stay away from her, stay away from me!" Awwww, Pam.... :(

"Is that the way you want it?" Oh Bobby, how many times have I said already that you don't deserve Pam?

So Bobby, you'd rather stay away from Pam than give up Jenna? You're a douche. I wish you died for real during that dream season.

Miss Ellie's come to talk to Pam.

Pam says she can handle Jenna, its Charlie who worries her.

HAH! Miss Ellie tells of a woman who got a man to do right by her by taking a horse whip to him. "Helped him make up his mind fast." Heck, that'd make *me* make up my mind fast. :lol:

Aha (how many times have I said that in this reivew?)! I suspected Miss Ellie was talking about herself and Jock, and I was right. Heh heh, the idea of Ellie whipping Jock... ...okay, get your minds out of the gutter, people.

"I really want Bobby."

"Then go get him." Well said, Miss Ellie. Well said.

Bobby comes to Jenna's place; she's wearing a bathrobe and a towel around her head.

Bobby calls Jenna vain, and Jenna calls Bobby jealous. He recalls she gave him just cause once. Which only strengthens my theory that Jenna doesn't know who Charlie's father is.

Jenna goes to dry her hair, and Bobby goes in to see Charlie.

Awwww, a man looking down at a girl who might possibly be his daughter, holding her favorite dolly... he gives her a kiss and leaves the room.

Huh. He's making out a check...

Jock's in the kitchen at Southfork... haha, he lights a cigarette, then hastily waves away the smoke when he hears someone enter. :lol:

Its JR.

Jock subtly accuses JR of having something to do with Pam and Bobby fighting. Good. :D

He tells JR to leave Bobby and Pam alone. "Y'hear?"

JR, however, counters with "You've been fighting Bobby's battles his entire life, when are you going to let him grow up? His marriage is bad, there's no sense in you trying to save it."

Jenna sure dried her hair up nice and fast. Now she's wearing a pink silk robe.

The doorbell rings. Its Pam.

And she's wearing RED. Ooooooo-hooooooooooooooooooo! :D :D :D

Pam says she's not going to make a scene, she just wants to know where she, Jenna and Bobby all stand, and she wants to know tonight. :D

I love how both women kinda circle one another. The camera circles around them as well, giving everything a shaky feel, like they're about to start clawing at each other. Except I doubt its going to come to that... maybe.

Both women say they want Bobby, and Bobby is irritated at Pam like the douche he is.

Finally Pam gets down to the core of the matter: is Bobby the father of Charlie?

Pam says if he is, he'll do something about it... but it won't mean he'll leave Pam for Jenna.

Jenna's starting to annoy me; she refuses to give a straight answer. Pam has resorted to shouting.

Finally we get an answer: no.

Except is Jenna telling the truth, or is she taking the easy way out?

Charlie comes running out... and Bobby goes running out.

Pam asks Jenna, "Why didn't you lie?"

Jenna says she can't, never could. The lease to the apartment has been signed over to her name, and Bobby left her a check for a year's worth of rent. "A good-bye present."

Pam goes outside, and there's Bobby. She asks if he was waiting for her, if he was going to back inside.

"What do you think?" he asks.

Well Bobby, its hard to say with you right now.

Bobby tells Pam he loves her more than anything, and she says she needed to hear that "so much."

They kiss. Episode over.

Man, what *boring* episode. I'm sorry, but this was boring. It had a few intriguing elements, but overall, dang, *snooze-ville.*

Guys, please tell me things pick up as the episodes go by?

• Like Like x 4
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Medals:
    It does inevitably pick up. You're at the point where they were still figuring out the prime time soap concept and still tried to write the show with a more "episodic" approach.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    ^^Agreed, there are a number of episodes this season that are boring and end with the overall storyline in exactly the same place as the beginning of the episode (Triangle and Kidnapped come to mind). Keep watching though, there are also some good episodes this season and by the time you get to next season they've dropped the episodic format and gone completely serialised.

• Like Like x 2
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,509
    Medals:
    I don't think I could full engage with a programme, espcially a drama, if I was stopping to make notes on it every few minutes.

There again, maybe Dallas just isn't for you.

• Like Like x 3
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,812
    Medals:
    The woman playing Jenna @Ked is the beautiful Morgan Fairchild, Jenna will return again in a few seasons.

Dallas at this point was still very episodic in its narrative, season 3 is where things really pick up pace but season 2 isn't a bad season, believe if you make it towards the later seasons you'll long for season 2!

• Like Like x 2
  7. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Medals:
    Not to say too much, but Jenna is pretty much one of the most confusing characters in soap opera history once you try to piece her backstory together. A definitive contender of "Don't Think Too Much".

• Like Like x 2
  8. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Medals:
    Also, I would say that season 2 definitively starts to heat up towards the end. Sue Ellen is a character to keep an eye on.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +10,019
    Medals:
    You are correct. That's her alright. Funny that's who you recognize her as. Chandler's mom on Friends. :)
    Most people on here would probably recognize her for the character she portrayed on "Falcon Crest" where she had a bigger part.
    This is the only Dallas episode she ever appeared in as they recast Jenna twice. So the next time you'll see Jenna it will be another actress before finally Priscilla Presley landed the part in season seven! :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Threads:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,714
    Medals:
    As devoted soap fan i'd rather recognize her as one of the leading ladies of Flamingo Road or Paper Dolls! ;)
    Oh Ked, still so much to watch for you on soap lane, how i envy you! :lol:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    Thank you, and wow, three different actresses play her? Hah! That's funny, but kinda cool. X) But its not so weird I should recognize Ms. Fairchild as Chandler's mom, since that was the first thing I ever saw her in. :)

I think this is the first I've heard anybody say they envy me. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  12. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Medals:
    It's not as weird as it sounds - Morgan doesn't come back and the other actress just about lasts an episode. Priscilla is the one who played Jenna for any significant amount of time. Again, without saying too much, Jenna pretty much takes detours in her character history with all of the three actresses playing her, which just leads to confusion about exactly what her backstory is. I end up thinking they re-wrote the original Jenna character to fit both the actress and also whatever they had plotted at the time.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Matthew Blaisdel

Threads:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,714
    Medals:
    Schizophrenia :D

14. Matthew Blaisdel

Threads:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,714
    Medals:
    Have you lost interest, @Ked?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    I think I have. :( I tried, guys, but I have soooo much going on in my life, and Dallas just couldn't capture my interest... plus the last episode I watched was just so boring... I don't think I can go on. Yes, yes, I know you all talked about how things get better... but again, I already have so much other stuff to do, which limits my time, which limits my interests, so... yeah.

Sorry, guys. I failed.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,763
    Medals:
    Although things begin to tighten up near the latter part of Season 2 -- if you can get there.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,847
    Medals:
    The show isn't going anywhere. You can always pick it up at a later time, whenever you feel like it.

But if you feel that you're trying to like it, then maybe it's not the right show for you. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Besides, we're going to need all your input and discussion when CW Dynasty begins:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  18. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +10,019
    Medals:
    That's a shame @Ked as I was really enjoying reading your descriptions of the episodes and how you watched it all with new eyes.

I have a feeling that if you could just make it to "Black Market Baby" which is the first Sue Ellen centered episode you might get hooked on this. ;)

The episodes do become more serialized towards the end of Season 2 (DVD).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    Well... maybe I won't give up *entirely*... I'll just put watching Dallas on an official hiatus at the moment. I mean, "Black Market Baby"... that in an of itself is intriguing. So I think I'll make it my business to return to the series in time. Not sure when it'll be, but hopefully not long.

Awww, that's probably one of the nicest things anyone has said to me on this site - that my input matters. X) Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    No need to apologize Ked. Dallas does take a few seasons to get its groove on. It's difficult to watch a series (from today's perspective) that began its life in 1978. Dynasty meanwhile came along in 1981. Interesting how music and fashion can change in such a short time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1