How would you mark the anniversaries of the three big soaps in 2020 and 2022

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Nov 18, 2018.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    in 2020 Corrie and EE will turn 60 and 35 respectively while in 2022 Emmerdale will be 50, how would you mark the occasion? In recent years soaps have been experimental in its story telling

For EastEnders I would have Kathy dream of a life had she remained married to Pete, and how life is in the square in this reality, Ian and Cindy still married, Lucy still alive, Pete dying in the early 2000s rather than 1993.

Another one for EE would be the death of Phil Mitchell and the arrival of a entirely new family to potentially take over.

For Emmerdale I would do the same but slightly different, I would pick key characters: Robert, Eric, Diane, Zak and Charity all having dreams of how their lives would be different in some form or another,

Robert’s vision would see that Pat is still alive along without Jackie who’d would still be married to Kathy and have children of their own, Jack would still be dead but there would be no Victoria, no Andy, Sandie would still be around somewhere, in addition we see Joe Tate visiting Home Farm to see his very much alive parents; Chris and Rachel.

Would be a Novel way to celebrate the past as well as embracing the future, fans would be glad to see past characters return in some form.

I don’t know what I’d do for Corrie if I’m honest

2. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    If they were going to look at a story that reflects the history. I would do whatever to bring Emily back, however, if the actress doesn't want this then I would make the decision to kill her off and bring back as many old characters as I could for the funeral/send-off. Key characters that spring to mind would be Mavis, Spider, Curly, Raquel, Bet and anyone else who was connected to Emily.

It would be so much fun to see these characters reminisce over a few drinks in the Rovers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Soaps don't need to do storylines that reflect their past for anniversaries.

I remember when people said that the Emmerdale 40th anniversary episodes should not focus on newer characters, but have something that reflects the past.

Yet, in the 20th anniversary week episodes in 1992, there were no returning characters, no references to any past storylines and there was focus on the then newest characters, Lorraine Nelson and Neil Kincaid.

4. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +437
    I would ban LIVE episodes, this has been done to death. I would like "normal" low key episodes, this of course won't happen!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    For anniversary years it’s nice to acknowledge the past, I think there have enough murders and disasters on anniversaries in recent years, you can look to the past and present and future,
    Fans will want to know what their favourite past character is up to.

And with the way soaps have changed you can have dream sequence, Emmerdale’s xmas Day episode had one and it was good.

I like your idea regarding Emily Bishop, the street just isn’t the same without her and Deidre somehow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    That’s because ITV tends to gloss over Emmerdale’s first Decade and a half of its history and make out that until 1989 it was all about Annie making tea or Joe shearing sheep or Amos in the Woolpack when that’s far from the truth, and that’s what annoyed fans was because ITV constantly big up CORRIE’s history.

7. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +55
    The shows past isn't so much ignored by the show itself, it's more when they have those retrospective documentaries like Emmerdale at 40, Emmerdale Family Albums, etc.

8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,602
    I always wanted them to do an entire episode set in the cab office where nothing really happens, but I'm a bit out of touch so I'm not sure who runs it or works there anymore.

9. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    I think it’s Steve that runs the place now??

As for EE, i want for its 35th anniversary to be heartfelt as only EastEnders can do, reflect on its rich history, familial ties, and looking to the future, I can see Denny Rickman being the next big character in the coming years, I want for him and Bobby Beale to be wary allies/frenemies, somewhat opposite to how their grandfathers were best mates, and their dads somewhat indifferent to one another.

Never mind the Mitchell’s Denny and Bobby can be the square’s overseers.

10. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638

They don't need to do it, but there's no harm in discussing the idea.

I actually enjoy chatting with my parents, siblings and friends about our own life's history, there's something really comforting about it and it's always a joy to see Rita on Corrie mention something from the past.

11. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    The street took some hits earlier in this decade, losing Blanche & Jack, then Betty and Deidre, so it was a welcoming relief to see Kate Oates reunite the Barlow family. I also find the loss of some big characters even more effective as I continue with the Classic years on ITV3

12. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +55
    As long as it's not just for viewer nostalgia purposes. There never used to be such fuss about past references.

As I recall, the 30th anniversary week of Street episodes in December 1990 featured no references to past or any returning characters to mark the occasion.

13. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    Yeah, I agree with that, but sometimes it's nice to reflect back on one's history and what better time to reminisce over the past by doing so on an anniversary?

I'm putting together something for me and my wife's 25th wedding anniversary next year and it entails lots of stuff from the last 25 years.

I think it falls under the 'celebrate 25 years of marriage' category

14. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,795
    I'd like to see a crossover episode involving characters from both Emmerdale and Coronation Street like they did with How To Get Away With Murder and Scandal last season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638

Oh, how that would just blow my mind away!!!

Floor.jpg

Did you ever see the crossover 'CiN' sketch between Eastenders and Corrie

• Like Like x 1
  16. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    It’s about time Emmerdale had a cross over special.

Eric, Doug and Brenda head to Walford, while
    Robert, Victoria and Aaron head to Weatherfield, Kathy and Masood go to Emmerdale as well as Gail and Audrey, with Bethany and Ryan in Walford and Jay and Keanu in Weatherfield that would be hilarious

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,638
    This thread has just turned into my ultimate soap fantasy.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1