How Would You Have Saved The Final Season?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    The final season of Falcon Crest divides fans on whether they liked or hated it. Personally, I thought it was OK but it wasn't Falcon Crest. If you were the Falcon Crest showrunner, what would you have done to make the final season more memorable so the much loved series could have gone out on a high?

I would have had Angela go to Europe to live with Peter Stavros while she recovered from an illness and while she is away she gives power of attorney to run her affairs jointly to Peter and her 2 grandsons: Lance and Father Christopher. The final series would then be a power struggle between the three men with Peter trying to preserve Falcon Crest for Angela's eventual return, Chris trying to prove himself to be a valid heir and Lance trying to manipulate the other 2 to get full control for himself.

Richard would feel snubbed by not being made part of Falcon Crest by his mother and would try to destroy the company in revenge, tricking Emma to join forces with him to do so. The series could then continue to concentrate on Angela's family and the Falcon Crest business instead of bringing in Michael Sharpe and his family who nobody really was that bothered about.

The series would end with Richard bringing Falcon Crest to the brink of bankruptcy, forcing Angela to return to the Tuscany Valley to stop him. The family eventually reconcile and they all get together to celebrate their uneasy truce. During the celebration, Angela leaves the room to delivery the farewell soliloquy that we all know so well.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Angela, if only what you described had actually happened then the ninth and final season of the show would have pleased stalwart fans, instead of what was served up. Saying that there were elements of the new FALCON CREST I enjoyed but like DALLAS without the majority of the core cast there the show became too different. The 'Powers That Be' for 1989 - '90 should have got Abby Dalton back as the leading woman, in the absence of Jane Wyman and beefed up Chao-Li's side of the family, at the expense of twisted secondary characters, such as Charley and Ian.

Lauren and Walker Daniels have fostered Richard's children, after Maggie's demise. Walker is behaving erratically, (a scene from season 9, 1989 - '90):

Richard speaks to Walker, who is about to completely flip: "If you're gonna shoot me, shoot but don't talk me to death."

• Like Like x 3
  3. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    This was the main problem I had with the final season. I understand that actors leave long running series and new ones have to come in to replace them but I think they should have used it as an opportunity to bring back characters who we were already familiar with.

I like your idea of introducing more of Chao-Li's family or they could have just given him a strong storyline, maybe a love interest who turned out to be on Richard's payroll to try and get some information on the secrets of Falcon Crest.

Without Jane Wyman, Falcon Crest was always going to be a different show but I felt it strayed too far from what the original concept was. Ultimately, it should be a show about Angela's family and Angela's business, with or without Angela herself. Instead we got served up The Michael Sharpe Show with a subplot involving Richard pursuing a woman he had zero chemistry with.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
    The overhaul for FC's final year was away too much. Granted you could get new viewers but this wouldn't compensate for the loss of the people who have watched a show, in the better quality years. More often than not the new doesn't exceed the old. Sharpe could still have been there, as another villain but no Lauren and Pilar should have been axed. Familiar faces should have returned two or three would have been enough; Ana Alicia perhaps, even Abby Dalton and yeah they could have revisited Fr. Christopher's storyline, as a sensible option.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,937
    Excellent idea, eventhough they'd probably had to recast Father Christopher (apparently, Ken Olin wasn't very fond of the show)

• Like Like x 3
  6. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I don't believe KO even lists FC as a previous job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +402
    It is a pity though becauseI thought he was very good as Father Chris, for the sort of Cain versus Abel storyline he became involved in with Lance. Other than almost throwing away the dog collar due to Melissa he was one of the goodies, over all the seasons. Bringing the character into season nine could have been a breath of fresh air.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,360
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    First of all, I would have given Gregory Harrison his own show and banned him from stepping on the FC set. And good riddance!

Then, I´d have stolen from the "Dallas" writers the idea of the battle for the Channing empire, and reunited as many family members as possible: aside from Lance, Julia and Chris (who would not be a priest anymore and would appear shirtless as often as possible!), also Richard, Francesca, Cole, Vickie, Tony, Skylar and who knows, maybe Chase too in an amazing turn of events! They would be divided into two sides and have a lot of arguments and fights and betrayals, spicing it up with black humor, accidents and revelations until the very end, when Angela returns with Peter and the property is given to...

upload_2018-10-18_12-43-25.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018 at 6:51 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,239
    I like it especially the twist of giving Falcon Crest to Chao-Li after all the family spent the whole season fighting for control of it.

There were so many characters they could have brought back and if the original actors were not available they could have recast some of them. For example, Gregory Harrison could have played the role of Father Chris. Robin could have been brought back (possibly with a recast) to assume a role similar to that of Melissa's being a constant thorn in the side of Falcon Crest and seeking to get control of it herself. Maggie's father could have been brought back to blame Richard for his daughter's death and to seek revenge.

I think it was totally misguided to bring in so many characters that had little connection to the Channings, Giobertis and Agrettis when there were so many other credible alternative options that would have worked so much better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,937
    Hopefully!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,634
    Ken Olin was right. S5 was drab and cluttered and his character was wasted. He did indeed take FC off of his own resume and publicly stated that he just wasn't proud of the work.

Regarding S9, I still don't think I've ever seen all of it. Should Maggie have run Falcon Crest for a few episodes before drowning?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Maggie complete with her image could have been interesting as the season 9 main boss, of the wine company. Angela made her the editor of the 'New Globe' in season 4 so she did admire Maggie's business sense. Of all the characters in FALCON CREST Maggie certainly got more than her fair share of varied storyline/plots, so making her the boss of the show's pith IMHO would've been fitting. It is too bad we never got to see this, in the time scale as season 9 panned out.

Garth and Richard's other employee Lawrence Mishima are meeting with Maggie, at the 'New Globe' office. She is now in control of her husband's holdings, since he is incognito. However as far as Maggie and Angela are concerned Richard died and was buried, (a scene from season 8, 1988 - '89):

Maggie: "I want both of you to know that I am the one who is running Channing Enterprises, in fact as well as name. Anything I don't know I intend to learn it. I will come to you for advice first. However there will be no decisions made regarding Channing Enterprises, unless through me. Do you understand that gentlemen?"

Lawrence: "But Mrs. Channing how can it be otherwise? Garth has assured me you have known and approved everything we've done."

Maggie: "Well in the future unless you hear it from me you haven't heard it."

• Agree Agree x 1