How should oldDALLAS have ended?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Snarky's Ghost, May 10, 2019.

?

How should the original DALLAS have ended?

1. Sue Ellen returns having bought out Ewing Oil, gives CEO job to Cliff

36.8%
  2. Twister wipes out Southfork

10.5%
  3. JR learns he may be Digger's son

36.8%
  4. Conundrum

10.5%
  5. All the Ewings cascade down into a well on Section 40 where Miss Ellie forbade them to drill

15.8%
  6. Lady Jessica axe murders all the Ewings

10.5%
  7. We learn Pam's fate, dead or alive

47.4%
  8. Jeremy Wendell buys out Ewing Oil, gives CEO job to Lucy

10.5%
  9. Olsen Twins buy out Ewing Oil, give CEO job to Uncle Jesse

10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    Most here on Soapchat agree that Conundrum was a horrible way for Dallas to end. There were no happy endings there. We were left with the idea JR had shot himself. I didn't like the "It's a wonderful Life" overtones of the final episode but I do envisage a burnt out JR Ewing doing exactly what he had done by pulling back on the trigger, raising the pistol and leaving us the impression he shot himself. As far as we knew that was it for Dallas. No more.....

.....until the reunion movies and we learnt JR was alive and well and still up to mischief. Granted the reunion movies weren't crash hot either and so we bid farewell to Dallas once again with still no happy ending until.....

.....along comes TNT Dallas. It started off well but soon fell flat when true believers discover this is not Dallas or about the Ewing family but a new show called Mexico with guest appearances from the Ewing family. Did we receive a happy ending? No. We get the incredulous idea from Cynthia Cidre she wanted a dead Ewing to tempt TNT in giving her another season.

Despite Dallas being granted multiple opportunities for happy endings we haven't been afforded that luxury. I don't mind Dallas being given such treatment because we never know if it will be resurrected again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    I don't know. Women seem to want their stories to have happy endings. But a lot of us feel a bit cheated because most happy endings tend to feel so forced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    Absolutely. It's why I tuned in each week. There was something magnetic watching rich people suffer. As Miss Ellie so eloquently put one time; "We may be wrong and we may be right but we're Ewing's we stick together, and that's what makes us unbeatable.

The Ewing family, mostly JR, did not hesitate in turning on each other but GOD forbid if any outsider took on the family.

4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    Seriously? I guess the old adage is right: "You like to hear somebody is doing well but you don't want to hear they're doing better than you."

Wow,I just referred to that same scene in my previous post in this thread.. It's a memorable scene!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Sorry Rove but the man from Del Monte he say Yes!! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,140
    I would have ended the series at the end of the Dream Season, after slightly extending the infamous shower scene to have the man in the shower rip off his 'Bobby suit', revealing himself to be Pam's first husband, Edison Faraday Haynes. Instead of shrieking in horror as the audience would expect, Pam giggles and cackles and joins Ed in the shower. "We finally did it! We finally got rid of Bobby Ewing and that irritating blockhead Mark Graison!", she sneers in a villainous voice.

The scene abruptly cuts to JR and Lucy in the Southfork living room solemnly playing a game of backgammon, with Miss Ellie and Ray in the background playing a mournful concerto on piano and violin, Sue Ellen conducting vigorously. Cliff is in the corner of the room with a football helmet on, attempting to juggle three cats. In the other corner we see both Digger Barneses standing, carefully passing back and forth what appears to be a small walrus.

Harv Smithfield sashays down the staircase in a bathrobe, surveys the scene, and declares it to be “magnificent, simply magnificent.”

The camera pans out and a slick transition reveals we've been watching the slide show projected by the three kidnappers from Season 1 in their shabby hideout, and have been since the beginning of that episode all those years ago. The camera freezes on the one they called Al, and the end credits appear, Philip Capice, et. al., along with the dramatic flourish from the stock music they used in the 'Who Shot JR?' year.

Viewers and critics are so baffled that it's still talked about 30 years later and remains one of the most watched videos on YouTube. Despite persistent rumors over the years of a new Dallas continuation, there has yet to be a follow-up to the original.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,099
    Medals:
    I'm one of the few that are fine with Conundrum, but either way it should've ended with JR getting his well-deserved comeuppance.

If you want you can add a wishy-washy epilogue how JR led out his life on simpler terms, but that wouldn't have been true to his character really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    So basically, you would have liked for David Lynch to have been the producer for Dallas? I don't know if he would have been available. He was probably saving those types of ideas for his then upcoming series Twin Peaks:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,140
    precisely!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,108
    Medals:
    Oh! Did Pam kill Katherine and replace her with robot-Katherine, programmed to kill Bobby? Maybe they could show her head sitting on a shelf (bleep bleep...must...kill..bleep)

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    Medals:
    No, that's also good TV. But it's about balance. Just cause I like the Ewings doesn't mean I want to see them win all the time. I like my neighbours and don't want anything bad to happen in their lives, but they're real people. But the Ewings are fictional and watching them go through hard times makes for good drama. Just cause I may like each member of the Ewing family individually and the family as a whole doesn't mean I always want them to come on top. You seem to view them more like a sports team you support, so it's go team Ewing, but I think the whole premise of the show is the trials and tribulations of the Ewing family, not hurrah! the Ewings are happy and have come out on top.

I didn't say they were constantly at war with each other. I said constantly at war with someone, either each other, or their enemies.

I'm glad you brought that season up because it's a perfect example of how tragedy does make great TV. The season with the battle for Ewing Oil after Jock's death was one of the best seasons ever of Dallas. Yet it saw the Ewing family turn on itself and almost decimate itself. And it was gripping. Those last 4 episodes from when Sue Ellen catches JR in bed with Holly were some of the best episodes ever of Dallas, and why? Because the Ewing family were impolding and leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. The finale which resulted in the fire was great TV and great drama, not because the Ewings were rising above anything or succeeding, it was because everything was falling apart. It didn't matter what happened next season, or if they overcame their obstacles, the family spiraling out of control was riveting drama.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    Medals:
    For me I would have ended DALLAS in 1987 with Pam and Christopher leaving Texas to start a new life elsewhere.

JR married Mandy Winger, Sue Ellen marries Dusty, Donna and Ray stay together while Jenna, Charlie and Lucas relocate to Europe, Lucy returns pregnant with her first child.

However the OP stated that the show still had to end in 1991 so here would be my 1991 ending:

JR runs Ewing Oil and Bobby becomes the sole owner of Southfork.

Cliff and Bobby receive news that Pam did indeed die two years earlier in 1989, as a result the family decide to hold a memorial service for her.

Ellie, Clayton, Lucy, Sue Ellen and Ray all return for this event.

Bobby struggles to deal with her death, knowing he never got to say goodbye properly to her, JR is the one to comfort him, and reminds him that Pam wouldn’t want Bobby to stand still and give up,

The final scene would be of Bobby and Christopher standing by her grave as he tells Christopher about how they met, we then see a montage of old scenes from over the years, as the camera pans away from Southfork for the final time as the Ewing’s embrace the 1990s

• Like Like x 4
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,846
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I know that almost everybody still working on "Dallas" at the time just felt the 1990-1991 was gonna be the last year, but I think that, if they had just known it for sure and had been given the opportunity to give it the best closure possible like some shows do nowadays, things might have turned out much better though not perfect.

This doesn´t change the fact that Victoria wouldn´t come back but her storyline might have been dealt with differently, maybe not killing her off the way they did off-screen and giving her the chance to share Christopher´s custody with Bobby (a bit like what TNT "Dallas" tried to do). BBG should have returned at least for a couple of episodes at the end, and the family should have been reunited one more time, including Steve Kanaly, Charlene Tilton and Linda Gray, and even Ted Shackelford. Most of them came back eventually for the "Conundrum" fiasco.

There is a difference between creating a proper, bittersweet ending for such a TV show as "Dallas", and a fanficcy one (like what I made up myself after the end of "Dallas" out of frustration): the first one must give an overall tone of balance and fitting the original show´s. As many of you have said here, "Dallas" wasn´t a story about happy endings, so it actually didn´t ask for one. Funnily enough, other Lorimar soaps did have it (like "Knots Landing" and "Falcon Crest")...

If a soap ends with a happy ending, it´s quite probable it will become a temptation for the producers and / or actors to continue. In the abovementioned series, both cases happened: Knots was perfectly wrapped up but was unnecessarily expanded by the "Back to the Cul-de-Sac" mini-series. Falcon had a last-minute re-tooling to give it a proper ending, maybe because of Jane Wyman´s delicate health. Without her the show had no reason to be so it made sense to put the end at that time.

I agree that the audiences must have what they want, but also that nobody wants a show to end when their characters have achieved what they went for at the end. We always ask for more, therefore it depends (or should) on the producers to decide how and when to finish the story. In the case of "Dallas", everything depended on Leonard Katzman (and then co-producer Larry Hagman). As far as we know, both of them would have went on and on with the show. Lenny did that with his next successful series, "Walker Texas Ranger", and Larry played J.R. three more times after the end: both TVM´s and TNT´s "Dallas".

So it was a complicated situation. Probably CBS did them and us a big favor. In recent re-watchings I found the last season one of the most compelling seasons in the latter years. Why? Because in hindsight, and considering what we might have got, there was a balance between drama and comedy, and at least we could say goodbye to Linda, Steve, and others in the very last episode. You know, when the cancelation was official...

upload_2019-5-12_15-12-55.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,388
    Medals:
    Miss Ellie confesses on her death bed that Digger not Jock is JRs father - always said at the time it would be far better than JR and a devil with red eyes who was in cabaret!

Cue Freeze frame to JR - a shocked JR - and her dying wish is that Barnes and Ewings live in harmony and no more fighting, back stabbing et al!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    I posted on a Dynasty thread that I believe a soap opera should not have an ending, happy (awfully contrived) or unhappy (more realistic). We join these characters in medias res, and we leave them the same way. A soap opera is a whole fictional world the show creates, and it should be there before and after, be it in the fans' fantasies (and fan fictions) or in future prequels and reunions and continuations. In that sense, I would have preferred an ending that opens up new story possibilities (such as J.R. finding out he was Digger's) which others can follow, be it on screen or off. Whatever implausible plots and devices a show may use, and Dallas' dream resolution took the cake, I find that is the one principle it should not violate, even if the audience demands it like a spoiled child wants ice-cream before dinner: life is an ongoing river, and so if fictional life. In that sense, Conundrum, while not ideal, left things open ended for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,108
    Medals:
    Peyton Place did it best
    upload_2019-5-12_20-45-49.png

But I also liked Abby's return in Knots Landing's finale scene (the "it's like old times" line was a tad cheesy because the scene itself already suggested it).

17. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    I always liked the idea that Dallas ended with the possibility that JR has killed himself, everything else in the episode leading up that may be not so much.

But David Lynch doing Dallas? Yes please!

Dallas18.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,108
    Medals:
    A scene from NuDallas that also could have worked to end the last episode.

[​IMG]
    But I'd have the camera pan out to a wider shot, rather than a freeze frame.

19. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +182
    J.R. is kidnapped and taken aboard his plane. His kidnapper is revealed to be the real Nicholas Pearce, who has his men throw J.R. out of the plane without a parachute. It all ends with J.R.'s screaming and terrified face as he awaits his comeuppance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,321
    Medals:
    In some magical way if all the original family could rock back up to Southfork, with JR answering the door and them saying something along the lines of,

"OK F that, we tried it out there. Didn't like it. We're home".

;)

• Like Like x 1