How long will nuAlexis last?

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by Emelee, Apr 22, 2019.

1. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +639
    It could be worst :
    Rumours want Gillies to be cast as Bo for the finale (hopefully, they will keep Bo's original barks as voiceover)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Ferdnand Colby

Ferdnand Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Maybe Cristal's dad has problems with his greencard, hence his illegal alien status, however he manages to assume a different identity for a while (this reminds me a lot of S1 Sam's parents storyline). And the UFO could be easily explained, Mr. Flores is the owner of United Flores Oil Corporation, UFO Corp. This way we also get a nod to Denver's Oil days.
    Thus, we get our alien, abducting Fallon, Alexis, or the Moldavian Royal Family alongside the Shapiros, leaving Atlanta in a giant UFO's helicopter!

Guys we are good at creating plotlines here. We should be hired by Peach Producers. Aaron would be proud of us!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ferdnand Colby

Ferdnand Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +85
    LOL

Talking about Bo, a funny thing about Revenge's dog came to my mind. First, this one was like a zillion years, considering the time gap between he was introduced and his present day scenes, then poor dog was suddenly written out (at least he wasn't recasted). The thing is that Revenge stories were so convoluted at some point, that I thought we were about to discover that this dog came back to the Hamptons, after faking his death, to -obviously- take revenge against -obviously again- the Graysons. You know, sometimes reveals are not so shocking, some other times are surprising...

4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    Time will tell but I don't believe it is. You see, the writers of Dynasty have already used this plot twist in the Season 1 final episode when Claudia hallucinates Matthew. Surely the writers of Peach Dynasty wouldn't regurgitate their own story telling....well stranger things have happened.

5. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,239
    Medals:
    The ratings are going to skyrocket. Everybody wants to know what's going on! This is NuDynasty's "who shot JR" moment!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    As I sit here and contemplate the conversation around the dinner table I'm left wondering. How on Earth did someone think this was going to fly, in prime time? Did those involved with the Moldavian Massacre fiasco not learn anything, which occurred two years earlier?

It would appear the same Executive Producers were involved with both series, Dynasty and The Colbys. Looking back I know Lorimar Dallas shot itself in the foot with viewers over the return of Bobby but when it came to stupidity Dynasty and The Colbys can stand proud with that trophy. Both those shows spelled the death of the prime time supersoaps for a time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +639
    The moldavian massacre was great. It was the aftermath that "killed" it. They should have killed Claudia, Amanda, (I loved Catherine Oxemberg, but the character was a mess after the wedding), Dex, and obviously the King and Michael, and injured badly other characters. No "Alexis will be a Queen" crap... And Luke should have survived. Steven deserved happiness for once.

Anyway, i'm going off topic lol

Pam's Dream, Fallon abducted by UFO, and Alexis plastic surgery to turn her into Fallon are the actual proof that writers never learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I would assume only through the end of this season for two reasons. First of all, it's my assumption that they don't have anything set in stone (story wise) past this season. I figure that the only reason we're having to put up with Fallexis is because they already had the rest of this season planned, and it would've been too much to remove Alexis's character from the story. Second, I really can't imagine that they want Elizabeth Gillies permanently playing two different characters like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Medals:
    Agreed on everything except Amanda and Dex. Amanda needed to survive in order to rival back-from-the-dead-Fallon, and Dex's role in Season 9 was just too good.

Right. They never did, and they never will...

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DynastyCarrington

DynastyCarrington Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ofc they'd use the dubbed Alexis' voice for foreign countries if they still have access to it. Why would they want to confuse the audience by using the voice for Fallon? Or Fallon's dubbed voice trying to sound like Alexis? Nic wouldn't be back just for a voice over and Liz has spoken in the same accent on her instagram stories before, it was her.

11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    Exactly. Primetime Soaps require different treatment to those daytime versions. With daytime soaps viewers are more susceptible to outlandish plots, it's their bread and butter. Primetime soaps require a certain style of storytelling conducive to its audience. But I'm left wondering if all this reality nonsense has infiltrated how we expect stories to unfold on adult contemporary drama. Are we no longer interested or invested watching 25 or 30 episode story arc series?

Peach Dynasty doesn't appear to understand what its core audience is. If this version was going to be a reflection on the struggles a young woman still has in being taken seriously running a company like Carrington Atlantic then I'd buy it. Present a series with a clear goal in mind. I think the problem with Peach Dynasty is we (the viewers) desperately wanted to see the introduction of Alexis. It wasn't a matter of if...but when. The character overshadowed the original and the character was allowed to do the same here - with disastrous results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,275
    Medals:
    Daytime soaps can weather the more outlandish plotlines because of the weekday (Monday-Friday) format. Viewers become much more attached to the characters and the history of these shows simply because they are seen/experienced so much more often. I think devoted viewers will choose to overlook the more ridiculous details because it's not as much about experiencing the plots as it is about taking the journey alongside the characters. If you ask a daytime fan about a certain show, they will more likely mention favorite characters before mentioning favorite plotlines. As long as that favorite character emerges from that wild storyline unscathed, then the viewer is more likely to forget their reservations about the realism of the story itself.

Primetime soaps are not viewed as often (once per week for about twenty-two weeks a year) and the writers have little time to include character-building "filler" scenes. The episodes have a larger amount of plot needing to be advanced, so the writing has to be more about the actions of the characters rather than about the characters themselves. An argument could be made that the actors (more so than the characters) are often the main reason viewers tune into primetime soaps, since primetime soaps often employ big-name actors. Viewers make more of a delineation between the actors onscreen and the characters they play. While this is healthy (keeping reality and fiction separate), daytime soaps inspire much greater devotion and loyalty, and thus can hang onto fans even in the face of outlandish plotting choices. Primetime has to write a bit more within the realm of reality, a bit more in the spirit of not insulting the viewers' intelligence, since a primetime viewer overall doesn't have the loyalty of someone who watches a show more frequently and feels they 'know' the characters better. Primetime shows are much easier to get cancelled than a daytime soap, so they have to walk a much finer line with their plotting choices. A daytime soap can outlast a writing slump of a year or two due to the 'tough habit to break', but a primetime soap has to be good every week or people start tuning out and predicting its demise.

I have noticed in recent years that shows like Dynasty don't make as much (or any) effort to play the material 'straight'. This might add to the lack of loyalty/devotion from fans since they see even the writers/actors/producers of the show acknowledge it's all "play-acting" and not meant to be taken seriously. Daytime in most cases plays everything seriously and never 'breaks character' even when it's ludicrous.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,655
    As @thomaswak, @Ked, and others have said, the Moldavian massacre was not the problem, and in fact was well produced. Of course I differ with most Dynasty fans in thinking that Moldavia overall was a huge mistake: the show was to be about a Dynasty, this country's own "royalty," not that of some made up Transylvanian country. It was also setting a new major core character (Amanda) to live permanently in another country. So it had dead end written all over it.

I think Dallas hurt the genre a lot more because it had created the genre, and so undercutting its own credibility (and making fun of its audience: ha ha--you were watching a dream for a whole year) was an unrecoverable error. Even today, the dream resolution is mentioned as what not to do no matter what the plot quandary. Dynasty was already over the top as a show, and it was over the top when it became the #1 show.The problem with the UFO (other than the obvious one that it is a UFO :D) is that Dynasty was already known as the outrageous kid around the block, but its spinoff was not. If it weren't for Moldavia, it would have been Rita, or Neil Mcvane with the wig, or Claudia kidnapping a doll and making us think it is a baby, or Nazi arts collections, and what have you.

The Colbys were actually more grounded as a show and while its first season was atrociously dull and uninspiring, it managed to give birth to this rarest of soap characters: one with shades of grey, in Sable Colby. The second season was very even-tempered and measured, so to leave that awful scene as the show's coda and have it define all conversations about it was unforgivable. But the Shapiros didn't and don't care about the legacy of their shows. If they did, they would not have green lit the peach monstrosity.

But do you have in mind any other shows like peach Dynasty?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +823
    Medals:
    This would simply be too hard to do with split screens, et al, constantly. This would also give LG way too much power by playing to core characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    But we do have to remember. The face may have changed but the personality hasn't. Underneath is Alexis. Liz and the writers - but more so Liz - will need to very careful how they play this out. They have to remember Nicolette's character traits, her mannerisms. Otherwise this plot is going to wear thin real quick.

I understand many have major issues with Liz playing the dual role. Me? I gave up on Peach Dynasty being anything like I had hoped for so I'm in it for the laughs. Bring it on!

• Like Like x 2
  16. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +823
    Medals:
    Exactly. There is not one iota of seriousness in this show. IF it is LG playing two characters on a regular basis, good luck. Way too many technical nightmares.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,362
    Medals:
    If Fallon and Alexis had a conversation in a room, they don't necessarily have to be both in the same frame, they could easily cut from one to the other. So they wouldn't have to use splitscreen or some other technichal stuff all the time. Besides ... how many Fallon/Alexis scenes have there been anyway lately? Not that many. I don't see that problem at all.
    Plus, i myself can create a HD video of myself where i appear multiple times in one frame in 10 minutes time with adobe studio. That's been a technical challenge maybe 35 years ago... but surely not today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Yes, this shouldn't be a real problem. Just more work for Gillies and make Up/Hair artists. The split screen won't happen many times I guess. As you say, Alexis and Fallon weren't much in the same room lately. And when they are, they really don't share the screen oftenly. And it's not like they kiss and hug much :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    A dubbing is supposed to be faithful to the original. So if Liz had used her own voice, the foreign dubbings would have kept Fallon's voice too.

Anyway, we'll have the last word about that friday as NuNuAlexis is going to have more lines I guess.

20. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,362
    Medals:
    And even IF.... that would not be such a technical problem as well. Remember the "wizard of oz" episode? Fallon/Liz kissed "herself" there already. So it would not even be something "new" to do for them. ;)
    Those "technical issues" are just an alleged argument for people who just dont want Gilles to play Alexis. But the more I DO want her to... at least for the next 2 or 3 seasons! Go for it, Liz! :p

• Funny Funny x 1