How long will nuAlexis last?

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by Emelee, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,288
    Medals:
    I am not into soap storylines where one actor plays more than one role at the same period of time. "The long lost twin" plot has been done way too many times, IMO.

I hope this storyline with Liz Gillies as Alexis will end soon. Alexis & Fallon can't have a good scene together for as long as this goes on. I don't even want them in scenes together where they stand opposite each other and requires multiple cameras and stand-ins in wigs.

Can Alexis realize it's ridiculous that she looks like Fallon and go through another surgery? In like next episode?

2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,655
    Mercifully, Dynasty only had Rita and Krystle appear together as "twins" twice: once when Krystle encountered Rita at Delta Rho, and then during the attic catfight (there were two more encounters in NYC and at Sammy Jo's apartment, when Rita still had the dark hair and the old nose).

Just as discussed with Pam's dream here , where the real problem is not the dream but its consequences for the show and its reality, people focus on Moldavia and its low body count--and of course the Galen ridiculousness-- but the Rita/Krystle storyline was actually compounding the problem of Dynasty presenting itself as utterly unreal right after Moldavia. Now frankly, I can't say that the Gilleathon has been so acceptable before that the Fallexis plot took it over the line. I think it just finally forced many viewers holding back their condemnation to accept the show for the ridiculousness that it always has been, with individual good episodes standing out as outliers to an overall shoddy venture.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +823
    Medals:
    Damn, this is even stupid for Dynasty!!!!!!!

4. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,241
    Medals:
    I hope they will alter her voice when she plays Alexis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ferdnand Colby

Ferdnand Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +85
    LOL

Bear in mind Dynasty had a spinoff in which Fallon #2 was abducted by aliens... oh, those old days, just when we thought that was the most stupid thing ever...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,275
    Medals:
    I keep returning to the idea that this is a temporary development mainly due to the voice thing. If they plan to make Liz G permanently play Alexis, they would not have gone to the trouble of dubbing NS's voice in the uncovering scene. The 'transformation' would have been complete: looks, voice, everything. It would be somewhat difficult but not impossible to have Sheridan voice Gillies's Alexis for a short stint (like, one more episode), but it would be too much of an imposition on the editors, the actors, and the cameramen to line up dubbing for her over the long term, and a lot of unnecessary expense (NS would have to get paid just to do VOs) . It would also reflect an unwillingness of the producers to fully "invest" in the transition, since the shadow of Sheridan would hang over every scene with Gillies acting like Alexis, but not saying the lines. It would be like quitting your job, but then going in to type reports for your replacement every week. The replacement would feel put out, and you would feel like you had one foot in the door and one foot out.

The doctors claimed Alexis experienced damage to her voice box/throat area when Adam shoved her into the fireplace, so it would have been more logical for her throat (voice) to take longer to recover than her face and she would continue to stay silent (employing that charming white-board). At most, her voice (whomever provided it) would have been raspy or irregular. Having Sheridan's voice sounding perfectly normal and recovered (rather than Gillies doing some kind of raspy version) adds another layer of suspicion in my mind. If they abruptly switch to Liz Gillies doing the voice in the next episode, then I'd feel less confident that this is a temporary stunt, but even then....I just think having Gillies play both characters is not sustainable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. DynastyCarrington

DynastyCarrington Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I don't know why people are under the misconception that it was Nicollette's voice at the end of 2x17. It wasn't. That was all Liz. She's good at impersonations and she clearly did great at trying to sound like Alexis. But alas, that was not Ms. Sheridan.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,241
    Medals:
    I meant changing LG's voice. Anyone can do it with a simple software programme.
    But if she can do a different voice (as stated by DynastyCarrington) then it won't be necessary.

9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,655
    I am glad that you do not mention the spinoff that shall not be named. :D
    While there are comparisons with Dallas' dream, the reason for the UFO was actually worse. Pam's dream was a ludicrous resolution to an almost impossible puzzle: how to bring back to life a character who flatlined on screen.
    But the UFO happened for no good reason other than a producer going senile and nobody having the guts to stand up to him. In I Am A VCR Marvin Kitman reports (supposedly) Robert Pollock's account:

"'Apparently Richard Shapiro had had a dream. He was tremendously excited. At the time the novel Communion was a smash hit. The supernatural was being discussed over dinner-parties everywhere. I couldn't discourage him. I was very worried about our writing ourselves into a corner. How would we get Fallon back? Richard said: 'We'll worry about that next season.' The scene was not received with enormous enthusiasm, as I expected."

Gordon Thomson has given an account (available on youtube as a voice recording I think) of Esther Shapiro calling up late and warning every part of the producing/writing team the night before that when the following morning at the writers' table her husband would present the idea, whoever laughed would be fired. Thomson has never shared which person told him that story, and sometimes he tells it as if he were present, but of course he had nothing to do with the spinoff by that point (or ever other than occasionally guest on it).

In a commentary where the Shapiros discuss the scene (on DVD?) Esther Shapiro states that the UFO broke the limits of the genre and its reality and it was a huge mistake. Richard tried to backpedal during that convo, and stated that it would have been a hallucination of Fallon's--indeed that is how Dynasty treated it in season 8, using it in a nice pivotal conversation between Steven and Fallon to illustrate why Jeff and Fallon were a mismatch and utilizing it to drive a wedge between the married couple. But the original scene left no doubt of an objective POV--the camera showed that UFO flying off against the credits and then being ready for its Cecil Demille close-up. And Esther even shut that idea down, saying "Dynasty doesn't do stories about someone's grip on reality." Which of course is not true because Fallon had this false memory of her brother raping her, but neither here nor there.

Interestingly, the Shapiros have given multiple accounts of why it happened. In an interview during the 87-88 season, they stated a very mercenary reason: they thought the network would be forced to bring them back even for a limited run with the excitement the scene would generate (as if). Then when talking to Kitman (I kinda assumed Pollock was fed the story by the Shapiros) they claimed it was the zeitgeist of Communion and Richard's dream--not unlike Esther Shapiro claiming that her watching "I Claudius" inspired Dynasty, not the Ewing shenanigans. And then came the "psychological reality" BS. But the reality is that the Shapiros thought of both shows as their own personal choo-choos by that point. Unlike peach Dynasty producers, who saw the show that way from the very first day.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +823
    Medals:
    If EG is gonna be Alexis permanently, it is gonna be a huge prob having Fallon and Alexis scenes.

Btw, I think Esther Shapiro's brain was abducted by aliens.....

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    Here, here! Peach Dynasty is so out there I'm just in it for the ride. Actually I'm sitting on a bench at the station and witnessing a train wreck.

12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    What were they smoking at these dinner parties?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I'm glad you posted this. Liz Gillies does a lot of voice-over work, she is very talented at anything vocal: singing, mimicry, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Medals:
    I'm still hoping it'll be revealed that it was all in Adam's head, that he was only seeing what he wanted to see when he was looking at his mother's new face.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Of course, it's Nicolette's voice. In all foreign countries, they used the dubbed voice of Alexis rather than the dubbed voice of Fallon. For instance :

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Same in France : they used the dubbed Voice of Alexis for Fallexis.

17. Mason Carrington

Mason Carrington Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I keep hoping it’s a dream or all in Adam’s head. Surely, surely they can’t be so friggin stupid to make LG play both roles. Reading posts on Facebook and Twitter, there are some idiots that are into this twist. But all of those people seem to be younger and have no concept of what the Alexis character should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +823
    Medals:
    I think this is a red herring. No show could be this stupid.......or can they....?????????

19. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,241
    Medals:
    I think the point of this stunt is to create an exciting mix up. What if Cristal's father decides to kidnap Fallon, and takes Alexis instead.
    Maybe he could arrive in a giant helicopter (their version of the UFO) .

• Creative Creative x 2
  20. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,655
    There is also a universe of a difference between "the supernatural" and UFOs.