1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long have you been a fan of Dallas?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Karin Schill, Sep 12, 2016.

?

How long have you been a fan of Dallas?

1. Since Original Run (1978-1991)

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. Since 1990s reruns

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Since Soapnet reruns (2000s)

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. SInce DVD releases (2004-2011)

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Since Dallas TNT (2012-2014)

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,595
    Hi Everyone,

Since we're sort of starting over right now I figured this might be an appropriate question to get some conversation going. :)

For me I became a fan in the early 1990s, at the very tail end of the original run. My parents had watched the show since it first came on Swedish TV in 1981 so Dallas became the first TV theme song I ever learnt to recognize from when I was about maybe 1 or 2 years old. Anyway I didn't understand English and I wasn't allowed to watch it. So I didn't start watching until I was 11. One morning my mom was watching an episode at the breakfast table and I saw a woman who drove into a truck. I wanted her to live. So I had to watch the next episode to see if she did. But I didn't get any answers and by the time she was out of the show I was already hooked and kept watching.

About a year later when I was 12 I was already a fan. I was up north on vacation with my grandparents, uncle, mom and sister and we were visiting some river that I didn't find very interesting and I was so annoyed and kept whining that we had to go back to the summer house we'd rented soon or we'd miss Dallas. So well we had to call my dad who taped the episode on VHS for me and next week when we got back from our vacation I just ran right in and watched the episode of Dallas I had missed and then the new episode. I didn't even help unpacking or anything. lol It was the first time I ever displayed any fan behavoir, whereas Dallas was concerned, and I have been a fan ever since.

When I was about 14-16 Dallas was being rerun on Swedish TV4 every afternoon. (1994-1996) I watched the best years of the show then and became even more of a fan. I was in Junior High then and had a tough time at school (the other kids bullied me) so to go home and watch Dallas was the highlight of my everyday life back then. It meant so much and helped me get through those three difficult years at school.

There's a lot more to say about Dallas and what that TV show has meant in my life. But I'll stop here for now.

So that's how I became a fan. Now it's your time to share! :)

Take care,
    Best wishes:
    Karin.

• Like Like x 6
  2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +350
    i had a feeling that it'd be you that posted this lol. anyways i've been a fan since July of (2005) on a whim i borrwed the 1st set from a buddy of mine and like a week or two later i joined here.

• Like Like x 3
  3. That Bowie Girl

That Bowie Girl Soap Chat Rebel EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,358
    I didn't watch Dallas until the new Dallas came out and I became curious about the original Dallas. Not very interesting but that is how it worked out for me :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +350
    well that's how it works out sometimes. for example Dark shadows for me is my 2nd favorite Tv show of all time. with Lost In Space being #1 dunno what Dallas is for me to be fair. anyways, when the remake for Dark Shadows came out in (1991) and i loved it! it got me curious for the Original show but it wasn't until (1996) that i got to see any of it. than year and a half before i saw anymore of it. so stuff like that does indeed happen

• Like Like x 1
  5. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Since the 1990 re-runs, in my case. I did follow the original run but my first season was season 11 and Dallas was just not that good anymore in the later years so I wasn't really a fan, it was just a show I watched.
    But when I finally started watching the show from the beginning, I fell in love with it immediately. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +350
    some shows aren't that great by than. hell Law & order was still good in that season and i loved Supernatural 11th season which was last season. i do find it amazing that it was on for so long. any of these shows really.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I got into Dallas in November 1998 when I was still 10. I had been a James Bond fan since GoldenEye for the Nintendo 64 came out a little over a year before. I was going through TNN one night and was shocked to see Barbara Carrera. I remembered her from Never Say Never Again. I started watching and kept up even when she left. I came here in the summer of 2001 when I was 13 and got my first PC.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,494
    I've been a fan of Dallas since the TNT version first started airing. Not long into the show, my mom introduced me to the original series; which I ended up liking a lot more. Well, except for a lot of the stuff in the later seasons. I then purchased seasons 1-7 of the original series dvds. I also write fanfiction for Dallas right now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,046
    Certainly since 1980 right through the rest of the original run. Then thank goodness for DVDs!

Swami

• Like Like x 3
  10. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Three or four years probably. I first started watching I Dream of Jeannie and then became interested in Larry Hagman's other work which led me to Dallas. Six or seven months later, I had binge watched the entire original series, started it again and was working my way through the 2012 show. Even without reading any of the criticism here or anywhere else online, I definitely had a lot of similar issues with the 2012 show as well as aspects of the final few seasons of the original. Unpopularly though, I wasn't that upset when Pam left, because her final season was a huge character letdown; equally unpopularly, I really enjoyed Sue Ellen's final season :oops::p:)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Natalia Patterson

Natalia Patterson Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hello, I started watching Dallas when I was 10. I was to young to really understand the story lines and what was really going on. In my early teenage and going into my latter years I totally forgot about it. I have never seen the entire series through. I am now 48 and have begun watching from season 1. I am only at season 4. I am a member of NETFLEX. Unfortunately, they are missing 7,9 and 11. I did find a website that has the entire series for 89.99. So, I will have to purchase it to complete watching the remaining series. I LOVE J.R. So, I know that I won't be disappointed.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,693
    Since 1978. Even though I was very young I do remember the mini-series and watching Dallas every Friday night on CBS.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Natalia Patterson

Natalia Patterson Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Looking forward to seeing the remaining episodes.

14. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +840
    I didn't get into Dallas until the reboot started on TNT back in 2012. I had already started watching Dynasty and Knots Landing by this point, and I had heard so much about how Dallas was the best. For that reason alone, I didn't want to watch the show. Why? Well, I felt the hype the show was getting may not have been deserved, and if I watched it, I would be let down. However, the summer the reboot came back on, I recall seeing the previews of it all over my TV, and I just knew I had to give this show a shot. Anyhow, I thoroughly enjoyed the TNT series, and when I saw the Season 1 and 2 DVD set of the original show at a yard sale, I couldn't resist... I had to buy it! Now, I've got the first 10 seasons of the show on DVD, and I cannot wait to finally finish it all.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +840
    Hopefully you will finally get a chance to watch it all, from start to finish. Seasons 1 thru 8 were great, can't tell you a whole lot about the show past that. I could go into detail, but assuming you don't want to know any spoilers, I won't do that. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tatianna

Tatianna Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Political Organizer/.Campaigner
    Ratings:
    +812
    Been a fan since the original run. DALLAS was and still is the be all end all.

• Like Like x 3
  17. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    Since Tuesday, December 28, 2004, after watching the first episode on the DVD. What a life-changing moment.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,494
    I used to watch I dream of Jeannie when I was like, 7 or 8. I hardly remember it. I was really surprised to find out that JR was played by the same actor when I first started watching Dallas as an adult!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,296
    I got into Dallas quite quickly at the beginning of the 80's as my parents watched it.

I just got hooked on it & have been a fan of the show ever since. I would've been a teen when I first saw the show, now I'm in my late 40's.

Dallas will always remain for me the greatest American soap opera of all time. :)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,790
    I have been a fan since the original run. My Mom watched with me. I was obsessed with the show. I loved the cast especially Larry Hagman, Linda Gray and Barbara Bel Geddes. I have not seen it the last few years, I want to watch the original series again. I have the full series on DVD.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016