How do you think the show would have gone had Pam stayed?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Aug 22, 2018.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    Medals:
    Not saying VP would stay on but say for instance at the start of season 11 Pam leaves temporarily to get treatment, Bobby would visit her regularly, and half way through the season she returns, with Margaret Michaels in the role, how do you think the rest of the series would have gone? What of Pam and Bobby's relationship?

2. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I'm absolutely against anyone except Victoria playing Pam.

What I think should've happened

Morgan returning as Katherine should've been properly utilized by having Katherine kidnap Pam from the hospital. Bobby and Cliff could then spend several eps searching for them. We would finally learn that a plane believed to be carrying both Katherine and Pam had crashed somewhere and all on board were believed to have died (think Fallon in Dynasty Season 5) but no bodies are recovered allowing Pam to return with amnesia at some point should Victoria wish to return or remain dead.

That's the only storyline that could've worked. Bobby would then spend a chunk of the season trying to move on after some great breakdown scenes.

I'd have preferred Dallas had just ended when Victoria left though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,982
    Medals:
    Primetime recasts just don't work -- not for core characters.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +774
    Medals:
    A plane crash is too cliche. My version is this:

(Bobby finally captures Katherine after finally realizing that she kidnapped Pam)

Where is she?!

I killed her!

You what?!?!

That's right! I killed her! I strangled her! She was so sick she couldn't even fight me off!

Dear God! Where is she now?! What did you do with her body?!

I cut her up! Mutilated her! I've dropped pieces of her body off in places all over the world where you'll NEVER find her!!! And you can't have me arrested because there's NO PROOF!!!!

:)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Cocky Bobby didn't realise that his confession was recorded. Not only was he arrested, he was tried and sentenced to jail for life. Cliff had the last laugh.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,378
    They should have had a new chief buyer at the Store about Pam's age, brunette and good looking, casually befriend Cliff and Bobby and gradually start dropping bits of knowledge only Pam could have known. Things like the riddle she told Bobby when she was first pregnant, that Cliff was sitting on the floor outside her apartment when she went back to get some clothes the day she moved to Southfork, and the fact that Bobby was shirtless when he told her he didn't like that she might still be married to Ed Haynes.

Eventually, one morning as the Ewings ate breakfast, this woman, who we viewers knew as "Wendy Farmalee", would burst up from within the Southfork swimming pool where she'd been hiding underwater with a small scuba tank, casually grab a towel and stride up to the patio table and announce she's really Pam.

She'd subsequently pass a lie detector test and provide irrefutable medical proof (verified by Dr. Danvers) that she'd had miscarriages caused by a fall from a hayloft and a fall from a horse spooked by a rattlesnake.

Just as people were starting to believe she was Pam, Wendy would tell Bobby offscreen that she had befriended Pam at a fashion show in Paris and heard Pam tell her life story in detail at the afterparty after indulging in too much of the cocaine that was so rampant in the fashion world of the late 70s. Their identical miscarriages and their very specific circumstances were mere coincidence.

Wendy would then steal a Southfork helicopter and take off, never to be seen again, although it would later be rumored she'd become the chief buyer at the Store in Houston. The episode would end with a tearful Bobby silently gazing at a semi-lewd photo of himself and Pam frolicking inside her black Corvette from around the time when Ray was dating Garnet McGee. He'd subsequently start taking frequent, inexplicable "business trips" to Houston. Wendy was Pam after all.

• Creative Creative x 3
  7. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    For those who don't get it -- there's some fun to be had in playing with logic.

8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,469
    Medals:
    Replace VP with PSM
    [​IMG]
    Problem fixed, everybody happy.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +183
    When did PD and PSM take that picture?

10. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    Medals:
    For a miniseries called: STRONG MEDICINE in 1986

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Legend

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,854
    Medals:
    I wish Victoria hadn't left when she did, the whole way Pam's departure was dealt with was messy to say the least, not resolved in any proper way.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I think PSM would have made a good new character to be Bobby's love interest. She could play Christopher's teacher who is very comforting after Pam's departure. April was one of my favorites, but I think sticking her with Bobby was a mistake. I think putting her with Ray would have been better. Jenna should have died or left after Bobby got engaged to Pam.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    I think Pam staying on would have slowed down Dallas' decline, but the general trend would still be downwards, and Victoria Principal could see that. The weakest season of all for Pam was her last one. I can't see that trend changing with Philip Capice out of the Executive Producer's office, whether it's Victoria Principal or Margaret Michaels playing Pam.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Medals:
    Pam would no doubt have gotten pregnant - they set that up in VP's final episode - but the writers would probably have found some reason to split them up again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    Medals:
    I agree with you, to a certain extent, the way DYNASTY did it was ridiculous and with very little explanation as to why the characters looked different, and most of the time the new actors barely shared any resemblance to their predecessor, with the exception of Steven's recast, there was no explanation as to why Fallon, Amanda or Adam looked vastly different all of a sudden.

And obviously the top brass completely mishandled the Miss Ellie recast in 1984, when in truth they should have made her a Southworth Cousin (oh the power of hindsight) with regards to recasting Pam it was similar to recasting Steven, a simple explanation of plastic surgery to cover up the burns Pam suffered so in that regard I wouldn't have had any issue with it, especially since in truth the loss of Pam (and Donna) left a huge void in the series much like how JR left a void in the New Dallas due to Hagman's death

At this point in DALLAS's history I would accept anything of it were an improvement upon what we got from 1988-1991.

16. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,277
    Medals:
    Enter Mark Graison once more. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +428
    I’m generally against recasts after an actor has been playing a role for a long time. But in this case, I would make an exception because Pam was such a crucial character. The show’s central conflict (Bobby’s wife is a member of the rival family) went away without her.

I would have been less enthusiastic about a quasi-lookalike. I don’t think Margaret Michaels would have worked because she and Patrick Duffy didn’t have much chemistry. I think they should have gone for someone who had great chemistry with Duffy (and Ken Kercheval). They already had the plastic surgery excuse of why Pam looked different.

That said, even if Pam had been successfully recast, the show would have still gone downhill, albeit more slowly. The creative team they had in place for those last years wasn’t very good.

18. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +774
    Medals:
    Oh, Lord, PSM would never have put up with that show's misogynistic ways on and off the screen!!

19. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,982
    Medals:
    Which is exactly why she left DYNASTY.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Of course Bobby could have Katherine arrested - for attempting to murder him for shooting him, then jumping bail, and then attempting to lethally inject him with something.

• Like Like x 1