1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

How do YOU best learn a new language?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emelee, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,002
    Forget what science says for a moment... how do you feel/know/believe that you (not people in general, only you) best learn a new language?

Is it the traditional textbook/vocabulary memorizing/grammar exercises way?

Is it by watching and reading movies/series/books/music/podcasts in target language?

Is it by heavy interacting with people speaking target language?

Is a mix of all necessary for you?

Or do you prefer some other way?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,479
    When there is no alternative.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,690
    For me a combination of the talking to native speakers, listening to media/music, and if possible being in the place where said language is native. I try to get the very basics down, such as greetings, food ordering, tourist-level skills before I get in deeper. I'm a slow learner and tend to hide behind my English. I can only speak very basic Spanish, French, and German.
    :fp:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,479
    Song titles can be very handy too.

Dame, dame, dame amor esta noche - and two beers, please.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    I've long considered myself to be hopeless at languages other than English. The way French and Welsh were taught at school seemed very dry and tedious and I quickly lost interest.

Over the last couple of years I've been learning a new foreign-language song every so often. Some French, Italian and Spanish. My process is to listen to how it sounds, then write down the lyrics a phrase at a time. I translate each phrase into English to find out the meaning and then keep going over the phrase until it's learnt. Then I move on to the next. And then the next until that satisfying day I can sing along with the whole song.

It's a rather plebeian way of learning a language, but the combination of auditory, textual and interaction works for me.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,527
    I start by reading language books, then I progress to watching films in a foreign language with English subtitles before moving to watching foreign language films with subtitles in the same language. The next stage is to read newspapers and magazines in that language (Hello! magazine is really good for this as the language isn't technical and the photographs help with understanding). Then I speak with someone who is fluent in the language; I usually try to find a someone for who the language is not their mother tongue as it's easier to identify words when they are not spoken by a native speaker. Finally, I speak with as many native speakers of the language as possible.

Learning a foreign language is a marathon, not a sprint. I've been learning French for about 20 years and although I can have conversations with French speakers, I still find it difficult to understand about 5% of what they say.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,479
    Because most foreigners don't speak their language the way you've learnt it. The dialect is also a major obstacle.
    American English is more to the point than British English - and when that British English is spoken with an accent it sounds like Chinese to me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    I do much better learning a language in a class with people of similar ability.

I did French and Latin at school and Italian at night school - i love the sound of the Italian language and doing Latin helped, sadly Ive forgotten an awful lot as it was in the early 2000s

it came as a bit of a shock when I went to France for the 1st time that they didnt talk like Longmans Audio Visual french book 5 did!!

German magazines were great for Dallas in the 1980s and I bought so many on a weekly basis that my dictionary was well used and recognised many of the words thats to dallas!! lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,482
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Forget everything you thought you knew. Get a lover whose first language is the one you want to learn, and spend as much time with him/her as you can.

:love5:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,002
    There's always alternatives. One can simply refuse to communicate. Stubborn and dumb, but it's still an alternative.