1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible UnTold Secrets of the Carringtons...

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Dude, this sums up Alexis *perfectly*. Seriously, this is something Alexis herself should have talked about at some point; maybe when Fallon throws it in her mother's face about not bothering to contact her adult children, but then Alexis surprising her daughter with "I was ashamed..." and going on a monologue similar to what you have here. Or maybe Alexis talks about this to Adam in season 3, as her own way of trying to get to know her long-lost son by explaining a very important side to her, so that he'll understand her.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,383
    The writing just lacked any sort of sense or creativity. They could have made Alexis a bit more human, vulnerable, but still angry if she'd given a speech like that. But they thought because she was a fabulous diva that she couldn't be vulnerable. She had to be this hard bitch all the time but then after a while even that becomes silly.

It's so weird and frustrating for me that the best parts of DYNASTY are often bits that were never mentioned on the show. Things that didn't even occur on screen or were only alluded to. And usually these things that didn't appear on DYNASTY, that didn't happen are even more vivid and lucid in my mind than all of the hazy pastel babble that we actually had to watch.

It's almost some kind of twisted reverse storytelling technique. Everything they go into detail about is mind numbingly dull and usually tedious beyond belief. Everything they merely hint at or half heartedly suggest is plump and juicy and ripe with possibility and history and so real you can smell and taste it.

I. Just. Don't. Know....

• Like Like x 4
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,695
    You've just articulated what goes on on this web page exactly, and why DYNASTY is so effing frustrating -- at least for those of us not inclined to gush "it was perfect!" and "but it was supposed to be that way!"

I've told the story before about conversing with a friend in the mid-'80s about what the show should be doing plotwise instead of the boring, non-sensical stories they were doing. I went into elaborate descriptions of alternative plots which made sense and could be compelling, as well as adding detail and structure to some of the ones they actually were doing.

Well, sometimes later, after a few months or a couple of years, we were talking about DYNASTY again, and she began to relay some of the more interesting things the show had "done" that she could remember, and she proceeded to relay, with a fair amount of detail, exactly the alternative plots I had previously described quite some time earlier -- and almost nothing the show itself had actually done.

I sat there in amazement as she went on. Once she had finished, I gently informed her of her error: the plots she has recalled and had just gone on about at length were the things I had made up out of whole cloth and relayed only once. The show never did any of them.

She looked at me blankly for a moment. Then blushed slightly, looked down absorbing the irony, and I don't think we revisited the topic of the confusion again.

What could be more damning than that?

And that's what's so confounding about DYNASTY, and why I still get so frustrated with it: in terms of casting and concept, it seemed to have more potential than almost any TV series imaginable, but as alive as all that potential seemed to be, the actual production had a neurotic deadness to it ("suffocated" as @Alexis once aptly described it) that neutralized the entire thing.

I've never been able to forgive it, and probably shouldn't. It's like a wonderful land of vibrant fabulosity taken over quickly by dictators, narcissistic dictators who only feel sufficiently in "control" when everything is rigid and tense and all individuality is eliminated and, if all else fails, killed. (The Static Acting Directive is a perfect metaphor for this).

DYNASTY was Dorothy Statten and the Pollocks and the producers were Paul Snider. It's what we call 'STAR80-89'.

Maybe that's why this initially made me so angry:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Maybe Alexis was the triple input queen during her Europe days.......

5. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    You just painted a vivid picture. Bravo!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Related: I just started Dark Shadows.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,383
    Original '60s show?

8. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Yeah.

9. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,383
    Great... I have done about 45 episodes, and I should be getting back into it around September/October. These nights need to get darker first.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,695
    I, too, am an atmosphere person.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Amen at humanizing Alexis more. But they didn't want the audience to have genuine sympathy for her. That wasn't her function. After a while, it became impossible to to present her with nuance, even though that other side of her still existed in the show's distant subconscious. So instead of humanize Alexis, they decided to redux her through the spinoff. Enter Sable: Alexis with soul.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    I would agree, but the quality of the version I'm viewing is really terrible. It almost doesn't make much of a difference for me at this stage. I am at the very beginning, though. Hopefully it improves with time. I saw some clips of subsequent seasons on YouTube and I'm doubtful about whether I'll stick with it long term. It's so campy. lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,695
    Well, when they've got hundreds and hundreds of DARK SHADOWS episodes, many of which are badly flickering and blurry copies, I can imagine it's hard to get through it. I've never really tried to sit down and do it myself.

It's why I kind of wish the original DARK SHADOWS had been a weekly nighttime series, one shot on halloweenish mid-to-late-'60s, over-saturated color 35mm film. That way, there would be fewer episodes and they'd look better.

But had it been a primetime show, it couldn't have been as lurid and suggestive as it was (by the standards of the time), it likely wouldn't have made it five years (as daytime used to by much less competitive), and somehow the drab cheapy-ness of it not only made it creepier but it also helped the show feel like it was happening in another dimension somehow, where things rambled forever, the characters stuck in a kind of pointless hell. (Which seemed to be the idea).

So you have to be able to just submit and sink in to whatever DARK SHADOWS is. And, today, that's not to easy to do -- not if you're attempting to watch it episodes by episode.

It helps if you're living in 1968.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,383
    The episodes are only maybe 20 minutes long if that, so when I return to watching I am going to try and only do one episode a day/night.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    ^ Abandoned it for Upstairs, Downstairs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,383
    Oh Upstairs Downstairs is fabulous, I think you'll enjoy that more. I loved it, although I borrowed the DVDs from my uncle and I keep meaning to buy my own copies. I get what you mean about Dark Shadows, it's a lot to commit too and the pacing is so very slow, at least at the beginning, and even 45 episodes in is still the beginning. The very beginning. I have made a decision to take it up again as soon as the weather turns, and I want o do just an episode a day. So if I do that, it should only take me 14 years to finish it.

17. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Umm... good luck! LOL

• Funny Funny x 2