1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible UnTold Secrets of the Carringtons...

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Medals:
    What are they? What would they be?

FALCON CREST most hinted at the gothic and probably had darker secrets, at least in the beginning.

DYNASTY seemed to invite darker possibilities, perhaps of any of the '80s shows, yet those darker possibilities were not really investigated or pursued. There was the massacre in Moldavia (which didn't really go anywhere) and the fire which killed Blake's mother and then there was the Roger Grimes murder. But we were given few other shocking moments or macabre revelations regarding the Carringtons' back story.

It seems a morgue full of missed opportunities, this Colorado Camelot world with depraved and unspeakable scandal lurking just beneath the glittering and stately public veneer.

So how would you fill in some of those salacious blanks? What horrid secrets, chancrid and vile, would you find buried deep in the Carrington and Colby backgrounds of which we dared not speak until now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +366
    Some nazi sh*t. Blake knew Hitler.

Something very nasty happened on that famous Boston tea party Lady Ashley hints about.

Cecil really being Fallon's father would have made a brilliant Alexis-secret, though not illegal, if that's what your into.

Something made Krystle leave Dayton, the question is what...An infant suddenly dead? Mark's mother uncovered her secret life as a high paid Lolita? She was born a man?

The plot thickens!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    I think the worst was when Alexis, whom Blake's mother did not like, fed the poor bedridden woman her canary...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Medals:
    Obviously, Alexis' time in Europe should've been referred to more often - she was there for 17 years and apparently made the tabloids (as hinted by Joseph), so what was she up to? Krystle, having been a bored secretary, would've been likely to read quite a few gossip rags that probably was in the waiting room in the office; I think she'd know quite a bit about Alexis from those.

"A soccer team Alexis? Really?"

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    That actually is true, because after they had their first catfight and were having the scene where Alexis blackmailed Tony into lying for her, Krystle referred to another catfight Alexis had "in Hollywood with that actress." I always wondered how Krystle knew about that incident, but now I have an explanation!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Zara

Threads:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +366
    Did Krystle know instantly who Alexis was when Alexis walked into the courtroom? She must have according to your observations.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    Even if we follow Ked's theory, dressed as she was, I don't imagine Krystle instantly recognized her if she only knew her from tabloid pictures. It was different for her children, and of course Blake and Joseph.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    Plus, Krystle's observation happened towards the end of Season 2, so she had several months of getting to know Alexis - and to know *about* her too. Either Krystle read up on Alexis, or maybe Joseph showed her his tabloid collection - or just mentioned a few of them in passing. Or maybe some other High Society ladies told Krystle the story?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    She must have seen photos tucked away at the mansion, heard about her, and saw a tabloid story or two.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Oh yeah. I forgot her face was covered. It probably took a while to piece it together.

I'm sure her reaction was "Who's that woman?"

• Like Like x 2
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Medals:
    How could someone not recognize Alexis just because she was in that veil? I assume Krystle had seen her picture.

Or maybe Krystle looked so startled because Alexis had sent her from Acapulco to Denver in order to seduce and marry Blake and then kill him so she'd inherit half of his stuff, so Krystle and Alexis -- lesbian lovers -- would be set for the length of their luxurious lesbian lives.

But once "non-materialistic" Krystle moves into the mansion, she gets stuck on her cushy and highly privileged lifestyle with Blake and so she forgets about hers and Alexis' scheme and never contacts her again.

So once Alexis saunters into that court room, Krystle gulps an 'Uh oh -- I knew there was something I forgot to do!'

That's the reason Alexis hates Krystle so much: it's not that Krystle took Blake, it's that Blake took Krystle!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Y'know, what if Ted Dinard hadn't been killed? What if the trial wasn't the thing that spurred Alexis' return. What else could've brought her back? She talked of fearing Blake's retribution, but we also know she enjoyed the high-life and freedom from responsibility.

Once she had arrived, she began to stake her claim on everything as though she'd never left. When Krystle became pregnant, Alexis terminated it. But Blake and Krystle had been married for several months (?) when Alexis came back. And she definitely heard about the wedding. Krystle could've become pregnant at any time prior to her return. (Or did she think she was too old?)

Would pre-Ted Dinard-death Alexis have come back to Denver just to drive a wedge within their marriage?

• Like Like x 4
  13. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    Good questions. They never really explained why Alexis stayed away unless it was for the trust fund (her claims that Blake had bribed Roger to accuse her of his beating seemed a typical Alexis lie) , and if that were the case and it was her choice to stay away for the money then why was she so full of rage she was denied her children? Both can't be true. And once they were adults and custody was no longer an issue, what kept her from contacting them? I wish the show had come back more to these, and had the children come back more to these as well. Within a few episodes it seemed like the abandonment issues had been discarded

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    To confuse her and avoid contact, Blake had shown her a picture of Sophia Lauren as his ex-wife.

After all these years, the shoulder pads finally make sense!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Zara

Threads:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +366
    What stopped Alexis from calling her adult children and invite them to Europe? Or another state in the US? Alexis always used the word "exile" when fighting with Blake about the past and their children. But Alexis was just as guilty as Blake on that issue.

What if the writers had planned in Alexis from the start, and when B&K are married we see a strange dark haired woman, but we don't see her face clearly, in another part of the world pick up a newspaper which features an article and pictures of the up coming wedding and the happy two, and a voice states: "Oh no, I don't think so".
    And that triggered Alexis to finally come back, because no blond tramp is going to be a mother to HER CHILDREN.:mad::mad:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471

I dunno. If you'd nearly killed someone and meticulously covered it up to escape the rule of law, I might believe your threats about rearranging my face or framing me for the crime instead. By this point, you've likely thoroughly convinced me that i'm a ch*t mother, and since I started the grand task of birfin' babies at the ripe ol' age of 17 and probably never really warmed up to it... I might just take my walking papers, regret leaving, but not know how to go about righting things later on. I might even misguidedly go about trying to reclaim my youth and drown my troubles in sin until I was even further convinced that I was not even worthy to be around my own kids. That and the fact that Blake only got more powerful with time, would probably keep me away, too. That's what Alexis did. It's a deadbeat mom excuse, for sure, but a very plausible one which warrants a level of sympathy.

Blake never denied that she was forced to leave her kids. He goes as far as admitting that he bribed her to do it, proving what a tyrant he was.

The interesting and good thing about the Blake / Alexis backstory is just how adaptable it is. For instance, the show never actually confirms that she didn't reach out to them over the 16 years. Fallon implies that they never heard from her, which is different and could depend on multiple factors outside of Alexis' control at the time. Fallon says "she could've called or wrote" or something to that effect. That doesn't preclude attempts. And any attempts that Fallon might've viewed as lacking substance and therefore dismissed wouldn't have precluded her from making her statement, either. None of that was discussed in detail, leaving room to interpret it in different ways as the plot unfolded. The opposing views only serve to make it more intriguing (and more like reality). Of course, they didn't revisit parts of it substantively until Paulsen's slight ret-con in season 9, but yeah.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    That's the thing--like many things with Dynasty, your perspective of it seems more sophisticated and showing more effort than the show was willing to put into it. The way Blake kept Alexis away was never again addressed, she never brought it up with him or anybody else in any substantial way that added to the story since the original couple of episodes when she was introduced.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,435
    Medals:
    I think it was well established that Blake had threatened Alexis. To physically harm her if she were to return. Just as he had Roger Grimes with that candle stick. Now the Blake who did this would have been a totally different man from the Blake we come to know. The cuddly Blake. Yes, Alexis is a born liar but I fully "got" her exile. I bought it, you can say yes she could have called her adult children and tried to make up with them. Although you could also argue that she was ashamed. Painted as a whore and a scarlet woman, an adulteress who brought shame on herself and her children. Someone who was ruined socially in her children's world. Someone who just couldn't go back. And so she sits at beach bars and waits, she goes threw her allowance and from man to man in a shallow self pitying existence dreaming of revenge. Endless hours thinking about ruining Blake, about once again having her children back and being a respectable admired powerful woman. And about roaming the halls of her mansion and all of that for years and years... And then one balmy night in Acapulco while she's finishing the last of her cheap white wine she gets an unexpected phone call from a certain Jake Dunham.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Medals:
    Yes, that pretty much sizes it up.

And it's also why Joan, casually dismissed for years as "the British Open" and "the poor man's Elizabeth Taylor," was perfect casting. If the actress had been too respected and respectable, then the Looming Glamour Monster could never have emerged from the shadows with quite the same impact.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Medals:
    ***duplicate post