1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honor Blackman dies aged 94.

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Swami, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,657
    James Bond actress Honor Blackman dies aged 94

[​IMG]Image copyright Getty Images
    Honor Blackman, the British actress who played kitty Galore in the James Bond film Goldfinger, has died at the age of 94.

In a statement, her family said she died peacefully of natural causes at home in Lewes, East Sussex.

Blackman was also known for playing Cathy Gale in the 1960s TV series The Avengers opposite Patrick Macnee.

The pair had a novelty hit with 1964's Kinky Boots, which reached the Top 10 in 1990.

Her other roles included Hera in Jason and the Argonauts and Laura West in 1990s TV series The Upper Hand.

Image caption Blackman played kitty Galore opposite Sean Connery's James Bond in 1964's Goldfinger
    The statement issued by Blackman's family said: "As well as being a much adored mother and grandmother, Honor was an actor of hugely prolific creative talent.

"With an extraordinary combination of beauty, brains and physical prowess, along with her unique voice and a dedicated work ethic, she achieved an unparalleled iconic status in the world of film and entertainment.

"With absolute commitment to her craft and total professionalism in all her endeavours she contributed to some of the great films and theatre productions of our times.

"We ask you to respect the privacy of our family at this difficult time."

Comedian and Bond fan David Walliams said Blackman would "live forever" as kitty Galore.

Director Edgar Wright, meanwhile, remembered her as the "ultimate Bond girl and original Avenger".

Image caption Blackman was pictured with Paul O'Grady in 2011 at the 50th anniversary celebration of The Avengers
    Born in Plaistow in East London in 1925, Blackman trained at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.

Blackman's martial arts training helped her win the role of kitty Galore, an associate of criminal mastermind Auric Goldfinger in the third James Bond film.

Her pilot character - who was openly lesbian in Ian Fleming's original novel - becomes Bond's ally after a literal roll in the hay.

"I was already a James Bond fan but I asked to read Goldfinger before taking the part," she once revealed.

"By the time I had read it, I was convinced it was absolutely me."

Yet the role was not a particularly glamorous one for the actress.

"Everyone thinks I went to exotic locations on Goldfinger," she recalled at a celebration event at Pinewood Studios in 2008.

"But the furthest I got was RAF Northolt, just up the road."

In recent years, Blackman toured the UK with her show Honor Blackman As Herself, which saw her reflect on her long career.

[​IMG]
    'Never a bimbo'
    [​IMG]
    Image caption She served as a dispatch rider during World War Two
    Honor Blackman was the original feisty, black-clad female agent in The Avengers.

It made her a role model for an emerging generation of women and an object of desire for their men.

Her characters were both sexy and intelligent and more than a match for their male co-stars.

Her first acting job was as an understudy in a West End play called The Guinea Pig, and, when the lead actress became ill, she was asked to step in.

Aged 39 when Goldfinger was filmed, Blackman was actually five years older than Sean Connery and, at the time, the oldest actress ever to play a Bond girl.

"Most of the Bond girls have been bimbos," she once said. "I have never been a bimbo."

Swami

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    I missed this one and didnt see it until i read the papers today

She always came across as a nice person in her inerviews and she had a lovely voice

RIP Honor Blackman

I think she once appeared in Corrie, but cant rememebr how, why or when!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,657
    I think I read something that said she was in Corrie around 15 years ago or so, featured alongside Norris?

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +771
    She played an old friend of Rita's from her days singing in the clubs in episodes screened in 2004.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    2004! Eek, that was 16 years ago! I seem to remember a scene in a hotel or bedroom, will need to google you tube!
    Thanks for info @Englishboy x

• Like Like x 1
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,066
    Some people are so coy, the character was called kitty Galore!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    She was a regular on ITC’s The Four Just Men. Appearing as Nicole with Dan Dailey but also making a brief appearance in a Vittorio De Sica episode. She did some location shooting in Paris with Dan Dailey and Frank Thornton for it. The other leads were Jack Hawkins, Richard Conte and Vittorio De Sica. She also guested in ITC’s The New Adventures of Charlie Chan, ITC’s H. G. Wells Invisible Man, ITC’s Danger Man, ITC’s Ghost Squad and ITC’s The Saint.

She was delightful the times I met her. Always chatty and asking questions. Once she noticed that I looked ill before even I did and she was right.

Yeah. I have signed photos of her P*ssy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,558
  9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,738
    Weirdly I watched Gold Finger again two nights before she died. I always really liked her. I don't remember her much from The Avengers but more from the '90s sitcom The Upper Hand and I loved her in that.

10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,066
    I just noticed the error in my post, I meant to say "the character was called kitty Galore!"

Edit: I just realised that the site automatically replaces "p*ssy" with "Kitty". :bag:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1