Homophobic bakers lose 'gay cake' appeal.

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Mel O'Drama, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Legend

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +8,184
    Medals:
    I choose to visit Ashers out of support and solidarity, not scoring political points. The real sad thing is that the individual who brought this case - and it is blatantly obvious - deliberately targeted Ashers, either egged on my others or on his own direction - knowing full well their beliefs. Thankfully the overwhelming view here is support for Ashers and the decision made by the Supreme Court.

If - as in the case of this complainant - you go out of your way to simultaneously cause and take offence - it is not exactly going to earn much in the way of respect.

And at the end of the day the Supreme Court has made its judgement.

Swami

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,783
    Medals:
    You would know all about the waste of public money wouldn't you? Being a DUP voter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Legend

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +8,184
    Medals:
    Not as much of a waste of public money as trying to introduce Irish language as a main language which virtually nobody can either speak or understand. Classic do as I say not as I do attitude there.

Swami

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,595
    Medals:
    Why is trying to preserve your heritage considered to be a waste of money? If "virtually nobody" in Northern Ireland speaks the language, all the more reason why it needs to be taught in schools to keep the language alive.

I'm always impressed with how the Welsh have so much pride in their language and heritage that all public signs are in both English and Welsh and how Welsh is widely taught in their schools.

In the 1960s the Welsh language was on the verge of extinction until Welsh people took active steps to reverse the downward trend. I think it be great in the people of Northern Ireland had the same opportunity to safeguard their heritage.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,783
    Medals:
    There haven't been any plans to introduce the Irish language as the main language here. Only to have it used equally, which I think is only fair. After all it is Ireland. Nobody is going to do away with the English language, but you knew that, and are grasping at straws again.
    Also my Step father is fluent in Irish, my mother speaks some, one of my brothers speaks it. The reason that few do though, is that the English outlawed it for centuries. But I wont get into this silliness. I wont indulge your ignorance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,268
    Medals:
  7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,595
    Medals:
    It doesn't have to be a saga. If we had a government that supported LGBT+ rights and wasn't lead by a Prime Minister who calls gay men "bum boys", it would pass a law that unequivocally states that people who provide services to the general public can't discriminate on the grounds sexual preference and if they have religious objections it would be up to them to organise someone else to provide the service on their behalf at no additional cost.

8. Zable

Zable Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +804
    Meanwhile, over in Arizona.... the argument is: “We serve all people. We just can’t express every message through our artwork.” ~ Joanna Duka | Co-owner Brush & Nib Studio

I like and applaud.

9. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    Medals:
    I work with a multitude of fluent Irish speakers who for them, it is their main language. They WILL NOT speak English to other fluent speakers and speak Irish in front of English speakers. As is their right.

We need to get away from this stuck in the past attitude and I am sorry and don't mean to be offensive, but the DUP are to blame for holding NI back. We are stuck in the past and we're going to stay that way until attitudes change and we are allowed to move forward. x

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,783
    Medals:
    Ridiculous. Religion has no place in the business world. It's used here as an excuse to bully and to enforce bigotry. Why are Christians always so unchristian? You can tell when Joanna speaks that's she's a little touched... and not by an Angel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,838
    Medals:
    Being against something or someone is the easiest part, I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Zable

Zable Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +804
    I’m amused. Were you really sitting on all that outrage and, perhaps, grief all that time, Alexis? Lest others digest your post like the blind man asked to describe an elephant and can only describe the part he ‘sees’, let me say for the record methinks milady doth protest too much after reading what I posted elsewhere, in the hidden-from-the-public USA Politics & Religion Forum:

My thoughts? They centre on When Tomorrow Comes!

Do you hear the people sing?
    Singing the song of angry men?

That’s why I’ve awarded you a creative rating for your efforts. :clap:

13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,783
    Medals:
    Oh! Riddle me this! Riddle me that!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,268
    Medals:
    And the "artistic freedom" argument is equally ridiculous. When someone sets up a business to provide a service as commercial as creating wedding invitations then they can expect to be asked to do so by anyone who is legally entitled to be married.

Why have anti-discrimination ordinances and then not uphold them?

I'd like to think there are many Christians who would be outraged at these women's attitudes and the fact that they are publicly hiding behind their faith in order to continue discriminating.

15. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    Medals:
    Not aimed at anyone not from NI as I appreciate you may not have all the facts, but I would just like to add that it is highly inappropriate for anyone to say 'half of Northern Ireland don't speak the language' so it's pointless spending money on learning the Irish Language or having an act of same. That is a shoddy, poor and invalid excuse. And completely bigoted, because we all know why certain people think it's pointless. (ie Oh God, we might become Irish and the Catholics might get their way and take over and oh my God WHAT IF THIS UNITES IRELAND!? OH MY GOD HOW WILL (ARLENE) COPE??!)

I was born here. I grew up in The Troubles. I was born into a Protestant family. I was not raised with any kind of bigotry allowed to go into my veins. I know people who lost their lives in bombs or were maimed beyond recognition and have to live with it. But I choose for my home nation to TRY to move on, for my sake and for generations to follow because at the minute I think everyone of age consenting age should be MADE to leave here. I know I'm painting a bad picture here as this is a beautiful country and there is nowhere near the level of trouble there was a long time ago. Our problems have now become more than the Troubles. They've come disguised as an Evil Witch and her equally evil band of Bigots.

Here is why half the population don't Irish.

Because if you were raised a Protestant in the 80's and before - YOU WEREN'T ALLOWED TO OR GIVEN THE OPTION TO LEARN IT. BECAUSE IT WAS SEEN A CATHOLIC LANGUAGE.THAT RIGHT WAS TAKEN FROM YOU, AS A CHILD.

It is typical of this backward, ignorant society in parts of NI that is being controlled by the equally bigoted ignorant DUP who are holding NI to ransom and will continue to do so. And now attempting to drag the rest of the UK down with it.

This is my home but Jesus Christ are we stuck in the dark ages. I wish I had left when I was younger and if I had my own children I'd literally throw them out of here before their minds are darkened by the sheer nonsense of it all.

I would love to be fluent in Irish. It would benefit me in my work and my life. But thanks to those who are bigoted, ignorant and want us to remain DIVIDED, I wasn't given a choice.

But now I can teach myself and am trying to learn it because I refuse to be part of this utter crap. Stay stuck in 1690 those that choose to - I'd rather be part of a developed nation where people don't fight because Ian (hypocrite) Paisley said it was wrong to open a shop on a Sunday before 1pm because Jesus wouldn't agree. And don't say he was a great man - it just doesn't wash. If he could sit down with Martin McGuiness and the Queen could shake Martin's hand - why are we not moving forward? Because you choose not to. The majority of us from here HAVE ALL BEEN affected by the Troubles. My mother had to walk 10 miles through bombs and fires in the early 70's because she couldn't get home. I'm lucky to be here. We move on. I'm not saying for a minute that you should forgive if you lost someone, but it's unfair to take it out and keep your views blinkered thus affecting the REST OF THE PROVINCE and future generations (yes you Arlene Foster, you massive evil twat). The one and ONLY reason that money isn't being spent on Irish Language is that Queen of the Witches is afraid it will make Northern Ireland more Irish. Well guess what? We already are Irish like it or not. We have dual citizenship. The DUP are afraid it will make us a LITTLE bit more modern and like a normal society and it scares the crap out of them. Because they choose to hold us all to ransom by their bigoted, nasty backward ways. I worry about anyone who is proud to vote for them and to hold back the lives of gay people, people trying to make a living and those trying to develop themselves. Nice work! Good on you! Something to be soooooooooo proud of! :fp::fp::fp:

Should you choose to keep voting for the DUP or keep these views of division - Good luck to you. And thanks very much for destroying Northern Ireland. When you're really old and grey you might just think, Jesus I've affected my child's/grandchild's life and it could have been so much better had they been allowed to Be Gay! Be an Irish speaker! Be whatever they choose! Say they're Irish and not British! But noooooo. Just sit there in your bitterness. ANYONE who thinks that the DUP are doing anyone any good seriously needs to take a look at themselves.

We are falling apart here and the very best thing that could happen to us is that Arlene Foster and her cronies would spontaneously combust and turn into GREEN Leprechauns and never be heard of again until the end of time. Me me me!! shouts Arlene from her Fermanagh mansion, 'The IRA tried to kill my da but guess what he didn't die!' So I'm going to hate all the Irish and Catholics and inflict my reign of misery and terror on Northern Ireland for the REST OF MY LIFE!!!! Even though the equally bad UVF have maimed and killed hundreds! Even though my precious British soldiers acted unlawfully during Bloody Sunday! (SSSH we won't talk about that because they're not Catholics so it's ok for them to kill!!!) I'm Arlene and I LOVE MYSELF!!!!!!!!!! And guess what? I haven't been to work for 3 years and Northern Ireland (the place I apparently love so much) has been left without a government and the people are drowning but 'IT'S OK BECAUSE I AM ARLENE AND THE DUP ROCK! WE DESERVE TO SIT AT HOME ON THE TOP DOLLAR FOR DOING F ALL WHILE THE COUNTRY GOES TO ROT BECAUSE WE ARE THE DUP AND WE LOVE OURSELVES!!!!'

I'm really not saying this to hurt anyone (except Arlene because she IS SATAN!) but please catch yerself on if you vote for these idiots. Just maybe stop and have a think about the impact it's continuing to have, especially if you're old enough to know better. People have different views but it's got to the point now that it IS NOT OK to keep these people in power. 1690 is gone and King Billy is dead!!! He's dead!!!! (Sorry if you didn't realise). Even the ROI, one of the most Catholic nations in the world APPROVES OF AND ALLOWS GAY MARRIAGE!!!

I don't know if I'm even posting on the right thread. I just saw something that pushed my little Orange (want to be Green) button.

[​IMG]

*This is even an insult to Darth Vader, who, unlike Arlene, had a soul*
    *No doubt my post will be reported - because I hate bigots (which I thought was ok)*
    *I predict that in the not too distant future, one of, if not all of the DUP will come out as gay or lesbian. Would explain why they are fighting so hard to keep their little secrets*

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    Medals:
    Such a sad statement. :( Deary deary me. So that applies then to everyone being born now, and in the future? They don't deserve this chance?

I think we all know why you think no one can speak it or understand it. Have you travelled a lot? I don't mean that in a derogatory way. I have friends who live in the Gaeltacht - ok small areas but to say 'no one understands it'? A lot of people don't speak Romanian or understand Albanian, but I'm sure there is no problem with either of those because they're not a supposed threat to being British? Because that's what this is really about, be honest.

We're from the same place Swami and it isn't my intention to be cruel. But really, it makes me despair that you think this is ok. We need to try to move forward at as country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,783
    Medals:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] upload_2019-9-25_17-11-6.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Sarah