1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holidays this year?

Discussion in 'The Lockdown Lounge' started by Sarah, Jun 11, 2020.

?

Holidays

1. Yes I'm going to travel

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No way I'm not taking any chances

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    What's everyone's thoughts on the possibility of travel this year? I have some annual leave left but don't want to waste it if I'm unable to go anywhere. However the main feeling seems to be that going on holiday even towards the end of the year isn't an option...

Has anyone got somewhere booked for this year, or is everyone just writing it off as a no-go?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,090
    Medals:
    Already I've cancelled two UK-based holidays I had booked: one for late March and another that would have been at the end of this month. Fortunately I was offered refunds for deposits and whatnot.

I don't plan to book any more as things are just so uncertain. I'm starting to wonder if travelling to visit family and friends in December will even happen.

All the same, I'm an advocate of taking regular leave from work to recharge the batteries, even if it's for a stay at home holiday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Medals:
    I've never been one of these people who make reservations/plans six months ahead, because that gives me lots of time to talk myself out of going. I'll decide to go someplace on the spur of the moment and hope for the best. I'd probably save a lot of money if I planned ahead, though. Getting me to take the plunge seems to be the hard part.

It's kind of a running gag at work that I never take real vacations. Since moving to Florida, the 'vacation capital of the world' I have not taken advantage of having all these options surrounding me. Since I have so much "paid time off" (the 2020 name for 'vacation time') piled up, I typically just cash it out at the end of the year. I travel twice per year to visit my parents back in Georgia, but that's not vacation--it's "obli-cation". :rolleyes:

But more now than ever, I feel like I really, really need a "real" vacation. It's not so much the whole Covid-19 thing, since I never really had to do the lockdown and had a normal work schedule. I just need to get out of the rut and do something out of the ordinary. The general horror of working for the company I do makes me daydream about possibly pulling up stakes and moving again. I'm hoping that it's just the burn-out talking, that if I just take some time out to enjoy myself in a different place that I won't continue dreaming up creative ways to murder the manager and frame one of the assistants for the crime. Because frankly I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.:ms:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,090
    Medals:
    Love it! And I've certainly taken my share of these.

5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,517
    Medals:
    Ive already had 3 holidays cancelled since March
    1 in UK
    2 to Europe
    Got full refunds for them all

Next one is Oct on a 10 hour flight to Asia - my fav continent- not sure now if i actually want to go or not, but will watch and see

Michael Palin made me want to see the world and my hols keep me sane. But maybe not this year

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,062
    Medals:
    Ordinarily I would have been for Silverstone in July but didn’t have anything booked when the lockdown kicked in.

looks like no breaks this year although if things did open up a bit I might try a trip to Edinburgh.

Swami

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Medals:
    I can't afford to travel this year so I wasn't planning a trip - covid or novid.
    Plus, summer in this town is amazing enough as it is. If I wanted to travel, I wouldn't do it in summer.

I am studying instead. I've had lots and lots to read this week for the seminars and just as much to read next week. And while it's distance studies with online seminars, I still have to follow the schedule.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53049338

The boss of EasyJet has said he would feel "100% safe" flying on full planes as the airline resumed a limited number of flights after a 10-week hiatus.

Johan Lundgren told the PA news agency the airline had followed international guidelines to step up hygiene ahead of a resumption of services on Monday.

Passengers and crew will wear masks and planes will be deep-cleaned often.

But passengers will not have to sit 2m apart, despite calls for middle seats to remain empty for social distancing.

"That was a proposal early on from one of the regulators," Mr Lundgren told the BBC's Today programme.

"But the recommendations that have come out from international authorities… which are also supported by the different local regulators do not include social distancing measures on board the aircraft."

The idea of keeping middle seats empty has been strongly criticised by some airlines, with Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary calling it "idiotic" and warning it would make commercial flights unviable.

But Easyjet said previously it would follow the practice to encourage more people to fly, and some Asian countries have made it a rule.

9. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    Medals:
    Maybe the best thing is to only travel places you can drive for this year's holidays. If planes won't be observing social distancing, it doesn't sound like they'll even be trying. Then I won't be flying.

I have no desire to ever go to any Asian country again.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Medals:
    By my calculations, one full tank of gas will get me to beautiful Dumpwater, Florida--home of the serial killer who chops obnoxious tourists up into tiny pieces.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,367
    Medals:
    I haven't had a holiday in about 10 years and I don't expect that to change this year.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  12. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    While I wouldn't have gone to China even before the pandemic (their treatment of animals is barbaric), what about the other Asian countries that are respectful?

13. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Star EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    Medals:
    Yeah, you have a point. I wouldn’t go to China or North Korea, but I would go the a country like Japan. I think Japan would be an interesting country to visit because their culture is so unique.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  14. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,558
    I may yet go. But while I am always the guy who books tickets and hotels 9-12 months ahead, I can't do it this time. For all I know, the US may go into another lockdown soon. And if Sars-Cov-2 proved anything, it is that nationalism is alive and well. Nobody wanted nationals of other countries when invisible borders were erected (or in the case of EU, re-erected) and that myth of the global citizen who can live and work wherever and be mobile proved to be as imaginary as any myth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    If they would just stop the whaling industry :(

16. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Medals:
    How about Hanoi or Seoul or Singapore? A country like Sri Lanka might be interesting. Or the classics like Bali, Maldives, Philippines, Malaysia etc?

But I'd save it for a coronafree year because airplanes pack people in like sardines.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,558
    I never cared much for visiting exotic places. They are far, and "adventure" is not a word I want associated with my vacation--or my meals. I think as long as there are places in Europe I have not explored (Ireland was going to be my plan this year and the pandemic killed it), I am not into trips to other continents. I mean, I still have not even come close to Scandinavia (at least Norway and Sweden) or Iceland or ...the list goes on and on. And maybe soon it will be ideal to visit them, before the hordes of tourists and the AirBnb craze hits again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,428
    Medals:
    I don't think travel is going to happen for me at all this year and I am fine with that. I normally go on at least two holidays a year. Usually a summer trip to Spain and for the last few years I have done a city break in the spring to other European countries. Before the pandemic it was between Amsterdam and possibly returning to Poland in the spring which I loved a few years back. And then the usual trip to Spain in the summer. I think I was burned out from a few years of holidays though, so I don't mind this. It's a break from some very social things which sometimes exhaust me. My trips to Spain are usually with between 5 and 30 people! A lot gets packed into those trips, dinners, parties, clubs, there's a lot of drinking involved too. So this is actually chill out time I guess before I get away again maybe next year.

I am not one for "adventurous" travel either. No backpacking or roughing it. I just want a nice-ish hotel and places to have nice food and drinks and feel relaxed. Being in a caged hotel in north Africa was one of the worst 10 days of my life and I will never do Thailand despite it being a stunning looking place because it just seems like the kind of place that things would go wrong quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Medals:
    As a Nordic person, I can recommend these places:
    - Reykjavik, Iceland (a stunning country with dramatic landscape)
    - Stockholm, Sweden (I prefer the city in summertime, especially with all the water, the archipelago and Old Town)
    - Copenhagen (a cozy capital)
    - Northern Norway (Oslo does not interest me at all, it's probably the least exciting capital in Europe. Northern Norway is much more beautiful)
    - Öland or Gotland, Sweden (our 2 biggest islands are terrific in summer)

If you want a snowy or icey adventure, everything north of Östersund works in wintertime. There's the Ice Hotel in Jukkasjärvi.

If you want serene nature and be alone or with a partner, I suggest either a spa-ish retreat on Iceland or booking a Tree Hotel in Harads.

Whatever one chooses, I recommend something by a coast at least. ;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    Medals:
    My parents loved Sri Lanka so it's a must.

One of my best friends is Indian so want to go there with her too.

Singapore also looks good. And I've always wanted to see Everest, but not climb it!!!! @Emelee

• Like Like x 1