1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HG TV & Southfork

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by stevew, Jan 1, 2020.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    So HGTV did the Brady House, really an impossibility, they should redo Southfork. Southfork would be very doable: living room (with a gas fire place) / entry / dinning room, kitchen, study could all be exact (or very close to) matches from what we saw on the outside. Admittedly the up stairs hall and bedrooms would be more a challenge but we could have the feel of Southfork, if not the endless bedrooms. And the gym could have been an outbuilding - so I think they should do it. What a fun program. Of course the issue would be what season because wow did they change it up year after year. What does everyone think?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,138
    I'm not familiar with HGTV. What is it?

As for getting Southfork ready to make another show, yeah, I'm always in favor of that. Which season should they make the house looks like? It would probably make the most sense to have it done the way it was in season 4. More people watched that season than any other.

3. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    Home and Garden TV. They do shows on house remodeling. Recently did “ A Very Brady Renovation” where they renovated the interior of the house used for the exterior shots to match the show’s set. I thought a similar show with Southfork will be a hit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    We did this topic recently, and @garry said a friend of his was an engineer or a developer or somethin' and had approached the owner of Southfork to redo the insides of the structure to more closely align with the sets of the show, and received a resounding "no" because of the expense.

Of course, if they went the HGTV route, maybe it would work.

They could indeed do the downstairs living-room/dining-room/foyer thing, but there wouldn't be much room behind the living-room to place the den unless the den was reeeally thin. And the upstairs would be much tougher: you could do the hall, but John Ross's room and the guest room across the hall would have to be eliminated, and the remaining rooms much tinier than those on the series.

5. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    It seems to me as a tourist attraction it would be well worth it, but it’s not my business so I don’t know the particulars. I just know from what I’ve seen of the interior, I’m not interested in seeing it. I would think as part of a tv show (the HGTV route or other), the money would be there from sponsors. The Brady Bunch Show was only 4 episodes and what they did was amazing. Also they don’t do it exactly as you would want, it’s not possible, like Greg’s bedroom was in the basement. Maybe the den could be in the garage. I was pretty impressed how well they did without radically changing the outside. And the tv show could not only raise the mo yes to do the work, it could serve as great advertising to visit.

6. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    Yes, the HGTV approach is a good idea -- Southfork is the most famous ranch since The Ponderosa (razed sometime after 2004, despite still being a popular tourist attraction decades after BONANZA ended) after all. And, yes, the HGTV show would pay the bill.

Can't you see Linda, Patrick and Charlene with hammers and safety saws, sweat draining from around their necks? Steve too caught up in the task to really fool around.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I'd love to see this happen. I've never visited Southfork but from what I've seen of the interior it could do with some love. It might be unpopular to say but I've never liked the idea of "character themed rooms" when we know exactly what the bedrooms for each character looked like anyway. I'd bet money that most people visiting the ranch for nostalgic purposes want to see something that fits into their perception of the house from watching the show, not what you actually get. I understand the show wasn't filmed in the house so it's difficult to have the layout fit with the show, but it can't be that difficult to at least try. Clearly someone paid a "designer" to design character rooms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    Yes, and while it might seem goofy to redo interiors to match old studio sets (as they did for the BRADY house), the actual floorplan/layout at Duncan Acres/Southfork is even more bizarre and illogical --- a dining room with no windows in the middle of a wing??

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I find the interior to be rather garish. Do you (or anyone) happen to know what it looked like before the redecoration for tourism purposes?

10. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    I would think it’s also a big let down, which is why I’ve never bothered to see it. I would also think the remodel would increase those visiting, at least by 1, me.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    Oh, it's way garish. Everybody is always disappointed by it -- this is apparently the original floorplan, but I've no idea what the décor was like originally. The Duncans sold it in 1984 because people kept stealing the mail and looking in the windows, and the person who bought it turned it into a tiny hotel (which they're planning to do again) before being foreclosed on circa 1990. Foolishly, Lorimar didn't snatch it up as a potential investment, and it sat empty for a couple of years before the current developer obtained it and cleverly turned it into an event center.

For some reason, I'm always slightly captivated by the French doors and window at the top of the stairs -- the westward view outward looks exactly as I'd always envisioned it, and this would be the doors and window of Miss Ellie's room, where she'd ruminate pensively, gazing out onto the front lawn, in '82 wondering if and when her absentee husband would return... That image is weirdly real inside my head.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  12. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    I also think it would be a way better fit than what the Brady Bunch house turned out to be in the resign. Just from your sketch 1) the real den could be jock’s den, 2) the game room / sun room a cross hall all the way to the kitchen and garage, and narrower to make the living room wider, and 3) the real life kitchen could be a garden room for Miss Ellie with a 1/2 bath somewhere in between. Could be a much grander house that way with the assumption that outbuildings serve as Teresa’s apartment, the gym, guest suites, even a game room, etc. to fit the life style of very rich people.

Now what about the up stairs? How many bedrooms would they need? Master bedroom of course, JR’s suite, Bobby’s suite, Gary/Lucy’s suite, John Ross’s bedroom. Would 5 be enough? Could they fit 5 within reason? I anyways thought the house looked like it could have a substantial attic with a couple of boys rooms, but no windows, would adding windows at the attic level on the sides change it that much? Any thoughts?

13. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    If they plan on using it as a hotel again a public remodel with suites up stairs seems like a good idea. They might have to include a elevator (ADA rules I think). 5 bedrooms in the house, maybe another 5 - 10 above one of the barns. Add an annual rodeo and you’ve got an interesting events center. Pay Linda Gray to walk around as mistress of the house, telling stories of old times, and I’d be excited to attend.

14. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    Looking at some old screen shots the living room would need to be 18’ wide (maybe they could get away with 16’), which is 4’ wider than what’s shown in this drawing, where it’s the same width as the dinning room. Also the living room and dinning rooms archways aren’t right across from each other. The dinning room archway is closer to front wall and the living room is centered. Other than that I think the drawing is spot on.

15. johnmmil10

johnmmil10 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +463
    The Southfork Ranch Instagram page has posted some historical photos. These all came from their account.
    4C2232DE-2C4E-4463-B3A3-7CE330536F95.jpeg BCAA6542-EA31-41DA-AC3F-A67E87AFEECB.jpeg 0A6F2D96-AE8A-4C43-AAE2-92424177E2FC.jpeg 23A974DE-F26D-4245-98A8-C00F8F5926C2.jpeg A3E24298-59E1-4B18-BFBA-4D9F75CDA372.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    The living room expanded circa 1983 by about five feet after the fire (heat makes things expand). Originally, the room looked to be about 16' but then went to about 21'.

However, that wing is actually only about 21' in depth. So if you put the living room in there, it couldn't be as deep as it was on the show. If you made it 16' deep, then the room that runs behind it could only be about 5' (some have suggested it could be a mud room). It's the site of the study/den on the show, but obviously too shallow for that in real life... although if you look at the depth of the bathroom by the front door (6 or 7' ?), and then look at the real dining room and add the depth of the hall behind it (15' ?), you could have a decent-sized living room and really skinny study, but the really skinny study wouldn't seem so claustrophobic because of all the windows/glass doors on the outside wall.

Oh, we're just so ambitious.

This may not make sense, but if you double the width of the hall directly in view (which is on the back of that wing) you'd have a nice little, long room, and everything else from there to the front of the house could fit the living room (but no more than 14 or 15'):

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    I’d go with the hall, 5’ wide would work, crossing the house from garage to kitchen. Then I’d make the real life den and kitchen into the den from the show (still in its same place as the show, off the live room, just the other side of a cross hall) and also use this large space for the first floor half bath, maybe a garden room for Miss Ellie (where the real life kitchen is located). That back space is pretty large at 34 x 21 for just a den. Could the living room then be 16’ x 36” (it would appear to be this long), as wide as the original you mention, and this hall way 5’? In the Brady Bunch movie they also worked with sizes that were smaller and still made it work. Like I’d imagine the very wide up stairs all would get scaled back to 5’ itself.

Also, what’s this “bathroom by the front door?” I don’t see that in your drawing nor was it in the show as I recall. Plus I don’t think the Ewing’s would have it off the front door.

A great many bedrooms and bathrooms to go up stairs, I think that would be the most challenging. What do you think of using the attic space for the kids? Not sure if it’s tall enough and you would need to put windows in the two gables on the sides. I think changing the sides a bit, like the dinning room now window, wouldn’t be a problem. It’s the front and back you really can’t change (although I could see windows in that long wall above the breakfast patio). I also wonder if they could go above the garage with any space, if it’s tall enough, at least for closet space. To me the second floor is the most challenging issue.

I think turning an out building into guest rooms (the hotel idea mentioned) that includes the gym (and possible guest room) is a good idea. I’ve know people with property like this and their house is large but when taking into account the out buildings, it’s pretty huge, giving the Ewing’s all the space they needed. Also there’s the cottage Elena used in the TNT series, that would make a great guest room. It could be a nice boutique hotel, conference and event center. An tours would be pretty much better than the current set up.

18. johnmmil10

johnmmil10 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +463
    2A923BC5-E1E9-4C3F-B8AB-D389A6EE86F6.jpeg Another picture was posted this morning! Cracks me up how the Ewings hang above the fireplace. Think they kept it up all the time?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +970
    I like this much better. That gathering room off back would be great for Jock’s study. Any pictures of the sets (living room, foyer, dinning room, kitchen, study) as you’d want to see used? The HGTV people were really able to work with the sizes to make a smaller space workout and customize furniture and hunt for original pieces. It was impressive how they could make it happen and I think with Southfork it would feel like an even better match as the outside fit the set more closely than on the Brady Bunch.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,306

?!?!?!?!?!?!

No seriously.

What? Why would that stop you from visiting when you know most of the show was filmed on a sound stage anyway? GO SEE IT!!!! :spinning:The exterior alone is enough to give you a big thrill!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1