Grange Hill star dies age 93!

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by emm1978, Nov 25, 2018.

1. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    George A Cooper 3.jpg.opt248x239o0,0s248x239.jpg RIP George A. Cooper :(

Great actor, best known for his role as grumpy caretaker Eric Griffiths in Grange Hill from 1985 - 1992.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,454
    Medals:
    I bought Grange Hill on DVD and has been great to re watch it this year

RIP George Cooper

Tucker was always trying to cause trouble
    Will need to buy S5 and 6 which i believe are now out.

3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,874
    Medals:
    *googles*

Oh wow - it is!

And eleven years after the the last DVD. It's occasional things like this that give me a glimmer of hope about Knots Landing Seasons 3+ happening one of these days.

4. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,233
    Medals:
    I used to see him in stuff like Doctor Who (his story is missing but the audio and Australian censor clips of his bloodthirsty little Cherub survive), The Avengers, Espionage (title character in one of the plays), Man in a Suitcase, A Family at War, Randall and Hopkirk Deceased. Among others.

On one of the Knots Landing Facebook groups this month, a reply from Warners poured cold water on your glimmer when talking about the music issues surrounding it.

5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,874
    Medals:
    Oh.

What did they say?

• Like Like x 1
  6. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,233
    Medals:
    I’ll dig out the exact quote soon. I’m currently partway though a light snack of a Coronation Chicken Sandwich, a Beef Salad Sandwich, a Turkey Salad Sandwich, a 175g Walkers Ready Salted Crisps and a Huntsman Pie (lean mince venison in a rich gravy and mixed vegetables). I’m just back from an 10.73 mile walk and am going on a 22 mile+ stationary cycle ride afterwards. But in answer to being asked about further Knots Landing DVD releases, the reply concentrated on talking about the potential cost in millions in music rights for it, the problems negotiating music rights and the problems with negotiating in regard to the estates of dead artists and problems that arise with live artists.

George A. Cooper popped up in The Saint, Steptoe and Son, and Public Eye. The later series of Public Eye (1965-75) have been airing on Talking Pictures recently (finished a second airing last week). Stephanie Beacham is a guest in one episode and Ray Smith was a regular on all the seventies series.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,874
    Medals:
    Oh gosh. My 90 minutes gardening seems quite sedentary now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,233
    Medals:
    Well, I like a little stroll. It is the only way I can cope with my appetite.
    0E2C5572-21C6-460D-8CA1-CE80ABB9BF03.png E3314F46-DA32-4DAB-90B9-38C0DA2C6A3F.png

George A. Cooper’s surviving Doctor Who sequences were cut out of the episodes (The Smugglers) by Australian censors and then saved, while all four episodes themselves are missing, although the soundtracks were released. Quite a charming little medley of murders.
    CABE978D-86B0-43C1-BEBC-9FCF0096D023.jpeg

Oh, George A. Cooper popped up in The New Avengers too, having popped up in one of the early Tara King episodes (in production order), which was in production when the producer was fired again and the previously fired producers were reinstated. Kenneth Cope was in that Tara King episode and when he was filming Randall and Hopkirk Deceased from 1968-69, his dressing room was next door to Linda Thorson’s. George A. Cooper appeared in scenes with Kenneth Cope when he guested in one of the most well-remembered episodes of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, The House on Haunted Hill.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  9. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,233
    Medals:
    I recently watched his episode of ITC’s Espionage, a show that recruited Martin Balsam, William Smithers, Joseph Campanella, Louise Sorel, Steven Hill, Ingrid Thulin, Jim Backus, Bradford Dillman, Dennis Hopper, Sian Phillips, Roger Livesey, Donald Pleasance, Barry Foster, Alfred Burke, Patrick Troughton, Billie Whitelaw, Angela Douglas, Stanley Baxter, John Gregson among it’s leads.

It gets mentioned at the bottom of the page. I remember one of the kids being Len Jones, who later voiced Joe 90. David Healy, who voiced Shane Weston in the same series also appears. He played two different people in Dallas.
    http://tvminus50.blogspot.com/2014/04/saturday-25-january-1964.html?m=1

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019