1. You Know Nothing Jon Snow

The Final Season GoT: s08 e03 The Long Night

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones on HBO' started by Emelee, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,727
    Medals:
    Time for the big war between the living and the dead. Who will live and who will die? Will the white walkers be completely destroyed this time, or once again be forced up north and become "just a legend" for thousands of years? Or will they destroy Winterfell and march further south?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,127
    Medals:
    I'm so nervous and afraid... :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,673
    Medals:
    :hb:

Don't worry Matthew. We're all in this together. We'll get through this.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,727
    Medals:
    Oh holy crap, what an episode!!!!!! I don't know how many times I wanted to cover my eyes.

Everything really went straight to hell with all their plans, didn't it? After all the killings of white walkers, the Night King just makes one gesture for them to arise, and all walkers that had been destroyed woke up again.

And what about when a victorious Daenerys said the magic word Dracarys and her dragon blew fire on the Night King, and he wasn't even injured?

I kept waiting for Bran to DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!! Of course that staring zombie in a wheelchair did nothing.

I'm now curious. Is Arya the Azor Ahai - the prince or princess that was promised? :think:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    After so much hype (and because I do find battles boring), I was expecting to fast forward through a lot of it, but it truly was exceptional. Despite some glaring stupidity (you are in control of a freaking castle: why do you send any soldiers to die outside it?) it was great that there were moments of hope (both having to do with Melisandre) and moments of desperation. I think the moment when Daenerys and the audience realize the Night King is impervious to fire was pure gold. Overall, I loved how even though I knew they can't possibly lose the battle, they psyched me enough to wonder often how they would manage not to.

I don't know about Azor Ahai. I think it is the kind of thing that is huge in the books but toned down in the series (same as the First Men and the Andals, the North and the South, which are not treated as humans of two different origins in the series). Melisandre was often wrong. After all, poor Shireen was burned to the stake because Melisandre insisted Stannis was Azor Ahai. And then she was sure Jon Snow was; all the while a red priestess in Essos had claimed Dany was the princess that was promised. Melisandre herself had said that while (for her) the God of Light is never wrong, people can misinterpret his intentions. Maybe there never was to be an Azor Ahai reborn. Maybe all it needed was a fearless and determined hit-man like Arya to use her steel-like focus and her Valyrian steel. In which case, Melisandre's words to Arya helped more than any Azor Ahai prophecy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,727
    Medals:
    The dorthraki are famous for their skills on the field, as are the army. Plus the white walkers can obviously climb castle walls. That's why they built The Wall so enormously high. They'd have time to shoot walkers down.

With them being cornered inside Winterfell, I understand why they didn't want walkers inside there. Being trapped in a room with zombies... what a nightmare. No way to run.

Bran gave Arya the valyrian steel dagger that she used to kill the Night King. He must have known more than he was letting on.

That same dagger was given to an unknown assassin to kill Bran in season 1. His direwolf saved him. Then Littlefinger had the dagger and gave it to Bran, who gave it to Arya. Who's dagger is it really? And who sent the assassin to kill Bran? Will we ever find out?

7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,740
    I've just finished the episode and two words are about all I can muster!

I'm exhausted!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    But they had the fire-lit ditches. Which, it turns out, they should have dug wider.

Joffrey sent the assassin giving him his own dagger, after hearing his drunk father saying that Bran living crippled was no way to live and it would be a favor to the Starks if someone killed him. Littlefield lied and identified it as Tyrion's, and Catelyn bought it, setting in action the war between the Wolf and the Lion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,727
    Medals:
    I haven't read all the books yet. I wonder why they never did this story in the TV series? That dagger is quite important. Viewers should be told the necessary parts.

10. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    They did. I forget where but I think maybe Littlefinger narrated it to someone? I need someone with better memory to help. :)

Also in the trial, Bran told Littlefinger he lied about whom the dagger belonged to.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  11. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,727
    Medals:
    They didn't have very long to prepare for the war. I'm sure they would have done better if they had had more time, money and resources.

I am quite happy things went so wrong. They're not invincible. They have lots to learn. And now they're preparing to fight Cercei's army. She's had plenty of time to prepare and has much resources thanks to securing the bank.

The war against Cercei may turn out even deadlier and tougher than the war against the Night King. I recall her releasing wild fire on half the King's Landing population.

12. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,727
    Medals:
    Huh... I have absolutely no memory of it being clear that it was Joffrey. Just that Littlefinger was a liar.

13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,740
    Absolutely, it made a much better tense viewing.

I think that's a definite.

Save the best until last, as they say.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,673
    Medals:
    Well that was spectacular. It was riveting from start to finish. My heart was in my mouth for the whole 80 mins. Just awesome. Exciting and actually quite scary in places, it was a pure rollercoaster of adrenaline. Beautiful cinematography, even if that blizzard did make it a bit hard to see what was going on some of the time. They said it would be epic and they didn't disappoint. A few important characters died but none of the big guns, and I did think we might lose at least one of the major players. I guess there's still plenty of time for that. Although I was a bit surprised to see the Night King disposed of, I thought he might make it as far as Kings Landing. So excited for what's to come next week!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,673
    Medals:
    But that was the whole point. Bran most likely foresaw how events would unfold and knew the part he had to play, which was to do exactly that, nothing, sit there as bait for the Night King so that Arya could kill him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,673
    Medals:
    Here's this weeks Inside The Episode and The Game Revealed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    I bet at least one forum member wished for Spelling's spot-lighting so viewers see. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,127
    Medals:
    Wow, what an intense episode! :eck:
    The best moments for me were brave small Lady Mormont and of course Arya.
    I was soooo sad that Lady Mormont died, she's been so awesome while attacking and finally killing the zombie-giant!
    I felt so sick in my stomach the first 10 minutes, the tension before the fight was so strong!
    They really should have shown this last season in theaters, it has everything a great movie needs! :spinning:
    Theon died like a real hero, protecting Bran till the very end, i was really proud of him.
    I guess next episode will be a lot quieter, until shit hits the fan again in #5 when they fight against Cersei and her troops. Just hope they have enough people left for another battle...?!
    I'm not really sure if another dragon died, as i only saw one at the end to comfort Dany over the loss of Ser Jorah. Poor man, all he ever wanted was Dany's love and respect.
    It was heartbreaking seeing her crying soooo badly after he died :sad:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,727
    Medals:
    I know, but since he did know, he could have tried to spare Theon's life by just stalling things for a few seconds.

20. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +746
    And people think TV has been watered down!?

THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!

The scope, the scale, the tension, the drama, the shocks, the horror....just absolutely incredible.

As for Ayra, I've seen many comments that suggest it was a silly ending but this girl has been to hell and back several times and has trained and grown as an assassin - it was the perfect payoff for me, I loved it.

It was also good to see so many favourites survive...until next week....

• Like Like x 2