GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by SueEllenRules!, Sep 8, 2018.

1. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) acknowledged on Twitter Saturday morning that he “regularly” considers leaving the Republican Party.

Sasse responded to a Twitter user who said they switched from being a member of the Democratic Party to being a "no-party" voter and asked the GOP senator if he ever considered following suit.

“Yep — regularly consider it (except the 'from Dem' part)” Sasse wrote. Sasse frequently criticizes his own party and President Trump.

Social media users quickly responded, arguing that Trump has pushed lifelong Republicans from the party.

“He is accelerating the trend, obviously,” Sasse said to the claim. “But it didn’t start two years ago. (Eg, you should check out the polling on the giant share of Democrats that believed George W. Bush knowingly concealed the 9/11 plot against America.)”

Multiple local and national Republicans have resigned from the party over the last year, many citing Trump or the party’s response to the presidency. They include local GOP officials in Oregon, California and Connecticut.

Former Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said in May that the Republican Party has been completely taken over by Trump.

"There is no Republican Party. There’s a Trump party. The Republican Party is kinda taking a nap somewhere," Boehner said.

Former FBI Director James Comey left the party and said the GOP left him and others behind.

“I just think they've lost their way and I can't be associated with it,” Comey said.

He said the party’s views now entirely reflect those of Trump’s.

"It doesn't reflect values at all. It's transactional, it's ego-driven, it's in service to his ego," Comey said.

Republican strategist Steve Schmidt, a former aide to the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) renounced the party in June and announced he will begin voting for Democrats.

GOP senator says he 'regularly' considers leaving Republican Party - The Hill https://apple.news/ARiqVj76TT_aG4AYIXjXTtQ

2. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    When Republicans like Steve Schmidt become comfortable voting for Democrats, that should give you an idea of how right wing the party has become. In fact, any Republican who now chooses to support Democrats is simply part of the mcresistance. It's comprised of Republicans and Democrats who complain about Trump, but ultimately support most of his policies.

Like the person who left the Democratic Party, I too consider myself a "no-party" voter. Or better yet, an independent. My vote will always be for progressives, regardless of their party.

3. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    As per usual, you follow up with a ridiculous non-sequitur meme that has nothing to do with the topic or the reply to it.

Of course, this is further proof of the failure of moderates to reach out to millennials. Like Hillary, they constantly shit on them and then expect their vote. Now THAT'S entitlement!

4. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    So you're admitting you're a right winger now? Because that's the same propaganda they spout.

As if there's something wrong with feeling "entitled" to a living wage, an education, and healthcare without racking up insurmountable debt. It's only what every other civilized, industrial nation in the world has. You talk about being selfish, yet you support Democrats who give bailouts and subsidies to corporations and are enriched by Russian oligarchs. Oh, but it only matters when Trump is caught in bed with the Russians. You also support a party that can always find money for war but not the poor. That's not just selfish, that's abhorrent.

And while you're shitting on millennials, keep in mind that our generation has been bigger champions of gay rights than the "greatest generation" ever was.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,484
    While one of you clearly doesn't care that Trump is, technically, president and is only concerned with the sins of Hillary and the DNC, the other one of you is now posting memes with a conservative, rightwing message.

Both are haplessly playing into the cause of evil!! :eck: :eck:

6. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    The day Generation Snowflake defines the interests of the majority of Democrats is the day I will vote third party. Or hell...maybe I’ll just take the direct approach and vote for the evil Republicans. The outcome is the same either way.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  7. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    "Generation snowflake" is working to end corporate welfare. "Generation snowflake" is working tirelessly to ensure people receive an education and access to healthcare without going into massive debt. "Generation snowflake" is working to ensure employers pay their workers a fair wage instead of forcing the government to subsidize them. "Generation snowflake" is fighting to get money out of politics so that the politicians work for all of us and not just their donors. "Generation snowflake" has fought for gay people such as yourself to have the same rights as straight people. "Generation snowflake" wants to end the unnecessary wars that lead to the deaths of thousands of American soldiers and civilians alike. "Generation snowflake" is the generation fighting to keep immigrant families together and to only deport felons. The truth is we're not "generation snowflake," we're "generation activist." And we're energized!

I hate to break this to a right winger like you, but the Democratic Party is already defined by our interests. Just look at the polls, and you'll see the majority of Dems are on board with progressive policies. It's the Dem politicians who are stuck in another era where empty platitudes and bipartisan right wing policies rule the day. Of course, they also have tools such as yourself doing their bidding and calling people who fight for racial, sexual, diplomatic, and economic justice "cry babies" and "snowflakes." Fortunately, your time is almost up.

Democrats and Republican are aligning over Trump, but it's not because they're principled. It's because Trump puts an ugly face on ugly policies. They want to implement most of Trump's policies, but they want to do it with a smile on their face. So considering that you prop up and support evil Democrats over progressives, you might as well support evil Republicans too.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    How am I playing into the cause of evil? By being against right wing Dems as fervently as I am right wing Republicans? And if I don't care that Trump is president, why do I constantly call out the Democrats that vote to approve his nominees and support his policies? It seems odd that I would do that if I approved of Trump. I just can't stand the faux "resistance."

I've also made many posts calling out Trump specifically. That said, the crux of my argument has always been that Trump is a symptom of systemic corruption and bipartisan right wing policies. Dems move a little to the right, so Republicans move a little to the right. Hillary does business with Russian oligarchs, Trump does business with Russian oligarchs. Dems support for profit healthcare, war, warrantless surveillance, the Bush tax cuts, and mass deportations. Republicans support the same programs on steroids. Trump may be the current president, but our problems existed before him and they will exist after him. To suggest Trump is the only problem we need to worry about is what plays into the cause of evil. It fails to address how we got Trump, such as the DNC's interference in their primaries and the pied piper strategy which legitimized Trump in the media. It's not enough to be against Trump, yet choose not to analyze how the Democrats helped make his presidency a reality. We need comprehensive reforms on both sides, starting with getting money and military interests out of politics.

So yes, I care that Trump is president and I want him gone. But one can be against Trump and the GOP, as well as neoliberal Democrats. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)