1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gone With The Wind removed from HBO Max

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sarah, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

Gone with the Wind has been taken off HBO Max following calls for it to be removed from the US streaming service.

HBO Max said the 1939 film was "a product of its time" and depicted "ethnic and racial prejudices" that "were wrong then and are wrong today".

It said the film would return to the platform at an unspecified date with a "discussion of its historical context".

Set during and after the American Civil War, Gone with the Wind has long been attacked for its depiction of slavery.

Based on the novel by Margaret Mitchell, it features slave characters who seem contented with their lot and who remain loyal to their former owners after slavery's abolition.

Gone with the Wind received 10 Oscars and remains the highest-grossing movie of all time when its takings are adjusted for inflation.

Hattie McDaniel became the first black actress to be nominated for, and win, an Academy Award for her role as domestic servant Mammy.

Writing in the Los Angeles Times this week, screenwriter John Ridley said the film "glorifies the antebellum south" and perpetuated "painful stereotypes of people of colour".

"The movie had the very best talents in Hollywood at that time working together to sentimentalise a history that never was," continued the Oscar-winning screenwriter of 12 Years A Slave.

[​IMG]Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
    Image captionGone with the Wind was originally released in 1939
    In a statement, HBO Max said it would be "irresponsible" to keep the film on its platform without "an explanation and a denouncement" of its "racist depictions".

It said the film itself would return "as it was originally created", saying "to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed".

The wording of the statement is similar to advisories that accompany Tom and Jerry cartoons and other vintage animations on various streaming services.

Disney+ also advises its subscribers that some of its older films - among them 1941 animation Dumbo - "may contain outdated cultural depictions".

HBO Max's move comes amid mass protests against racism and police brutality that have prompted several television networks to reassess their offerings.

It follows the removal of Little Britain - in which Matt Lucas and David Walliams played characters from different ethnic backgrounds - from Netflix, BritBox and BBC iPlayer.

2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,040
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    upload_2020-6-10_13-27-2.jpeg

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,552
    I must say that while by necessity other countries follow suit, this started because of the US. Only here are people shocked that a 1941 movie "may contain outdated cultural depictions." It is the country in which bags of peanuts come with a "warning: may contain peanuts" label.

4. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    I'm interested to see - is it going too far now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,489
    Medals:
    I don't think anyone's necessarily shocked. Gone with the Wind has long been regarded as "problematic", but no-one's really bothered to do anything about it before - presumably because they didn't think it mattered enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    I'm interested to see - is it going too far now?

7. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,489
    Medals:
    I don't think anyone's necessarily shocked. Gone with the Wind has long been regarded as "problematic", but no-one's really bothered to do anything about it before - presumably because they didn't think it mattered enough.

8. James from London

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,489
    Medals:
    I don't think temporarily removing one film from one streaming service so it can be placed in a larger historical context is too anything.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    Hattie McDaniel was the first black actress to win an Oscar (for that role).

10. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,507
    Medals:
    You cannot change the past, whats done is done, soon there will be nothing left to watch pre 2000s - oh and lets burn lots of books too!

I think its wrong to remove it
    You cant erase history nor should you judge it through what is considered acceptable in society different times and the movie has been considered a classic for many a year and still makes top 10 lists of greatest film ever made

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    It's not being permanently removed. It's been taken down and will be back up with some kind of pre-movie introduction. I would imagine, explaining context.
    I initially thought, that's silly "You cant change history" but then, the film did, to suit it's own needs. The film wont be vanishing or be unreachable, it will now just come with context.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,552
    We will have to wait and see what the context is, I guess. But there are two historical eras we are talking about: the civil war era (which the film distorted as you said) and 1939, of which the film is an artifact as is. Having an optional contextual explanation is fine for the modern viewer (though again, the viewer of 2020--will HBO update this every few years or do we assume we are now the final arbiters of ethics for all generations?), and will in fact enrich the understanding of the era the film depicts. But again, for 1939 the film is itself an artifact of the kind of racist attitudes of the times. I hope that we do not instead get something that is attached to the film so it cannot be seen separately, because that is the kind of moralizing extremism that always comes to bite back the left on the ass when the right-wingers use their playbook, and they always figure it out fast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,552
    Well, the quote is from Disney about Dumbo and I was pointing out how ludicrous it is to say that a 1941 movie "may contain outdated cultural depictions."

14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,420
    Medals:
    I would imagine it's just a write up on screen explaining that the film depicts an unrealistic depiction of slavery and prejudiced views, and possibly even explaining the context of those views in 1939 too.

15. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,962
    No it isn't. It will go too far when a future government decides to destroy all existing copies of the movie including the masters and threaten a hefty penalty or jailtime for anyone who's found to be in a possession of one. HBO is however a private entity and they are at liberty to do within their platform whatever they please just as anyone at home is at liberty to have a copy and watch it on a loop.

Having said that...

I don't see why you can't have a 'meaningful discussion' about it without pulling it. Albeit temporarily. I don't see what that accomplishes apart from HBO making a calculated decision that this would be a beneficial PR move within the current climate for their company and the resulting gains, whatever they may be, will offset right wingers having additional fodder to whine about PC-pushing liberals going mad and canceling their subscription in protest.

And that leads me to my other problem with this -- movements often originating in the United States, sparked by a tragic or unfortunate event, point to a significant and ongoing major problem within the society that should be addressed and should've been addressed a long time ago, but how much tangible change do they actually bring about before they eventually fade away, when many who join them (outside the core) jump off the bandwagon as soon as it stops trending on Twitter or Instagram. #MeToo anyone?

I just saw a couple of eye-raising episodes of 'The Lucy Show" in which good old Lucille plays a Native American and then an Asian person. The latter performance was particularly chock full of racial stereotypes. Boy, oh, boy. That was really something, let me tell you that. Mickey Rooney in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's" times 10. If one were consistent, they'd have to pull thousands of movies and TV episodes deemed offensive today, but no one has written an op-ed in The Los Angeles Times about them, so very few people are getting outraged & no one's pulling them. As yet. But I'm sure they will if someone gets it trending.

Meanwhile, you have Disney+ re-doing 'Lady and the Tramp' now with an inter-racial couple at the center of the familiar early 20th century tale or Ryan Murphy pleasuring himself by re-writing Hollywood history with a 1940s-set miniseries in which black people and gay people proudly break ground at the Academy Awards. Which is fine, but if there's a place to re-write racist or homophobic history with such creative swings today, one should be able to have easy access to seeing how the filmmakers of that era actually approached (or didn't approach at all) the issues at hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,040
    Medals:
    Oh I´m sure of that. Now they will insert digitally Viola Davis´ head into Prissy´s body and she will become a fighter of civil rights. Can´t wait to see that. :re::re::re::re::re:

upload_2020-6-10_19-53-17.png upload_2020-6-10_19-54-31.png
    Disclaimer:
    - I adore Viola Davis.
    - I adore Butterfly McQueen (too).
    - But very especially, I adore Hattie McDaniel.
    - Subsequently, this post is not meant to be racist, or whatever other ist. Just sarcastic.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,040
    Medals:
    Oh and Disney + is filled with shameful feelings about its racist content too. In "Peter Pan" they have re-dubbed any dialogue that may sound racist against American Indians (about 30 to 40 lines!) but they kept the Captain Hook tirade about tormenting Wendy!! Daryl Hannah in "Splash" now has no t*ts nor a**...The Simpsons´ episode with Michael Jackson´s voice has been erased from the whole globe because you know. Now it´s where "Song from the South" is too, in the Disney limbo...Please don´t let them sweeten my dear Wicked Stepmothers, Maleficent or Cruella!!

18. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    Medals:
    Is your career safe @Toni ???

19. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,040
    Medals:
    If you mean, my career as a YT video maker, God is my witness that I´ll keep on making videos forever and ever...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,358
    Medals:
    I can't understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist over this move. They are not banning the film they are giving it context so it remains relevant to modern audiences. They are not erasing the past but allow future generations of viewers to understand better some of the issues in the film.

I hope the new introduction include a reference that many of the main characters were Ku Klux Klan members which was only hinted at in the film but more explicitly depicted in the book. It would give the scene when Belle helps Ashley after he is shot when he goes out to lynch an innocent black man more relevance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1