1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golden Girls: Who's Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by ClassyCo, Jun 11, 2019.

?

Who's your favorite Golden Girl?

1. Dorothy Zbornak (Bea Arthur)

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Rose Nylund (Betty White)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Blanche Devereaux (Rue McClanahan)

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. All of them (It's too hard to decide...!)

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    Even when filmed in front of a (responding) audience, a lot of shows like GG do 'doctor' the laughter somewhat. They all have 'warm-up' comics who put the audience in a relaxed mood prior to taping, and there are "applause" or "laughter" signs that light up to cue the audience when to laugh if the show needs the help. If necessary, they will 'sweeten' the finished recording with extra "canned" laughter, but in most cases it is not needed. Excessive laughter is often removed, since it interferes with the run-time of the episode. Some shows (especially talk shows) will actually cue the audience to react in some way (gasping, cheering, etc.), then record it to drop the sound effect into the show at another point, which is fake as hell but at least it happened during the recording session.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    This is something that has always intrigued me. On the back of the kitchen door is a calendar, and although I have been trying since the early 80's, I can never tell what month it is supposed to be!!!!

3. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +899
    If you're on Facebook, get on one of the Golden Girls-orientated fan pages, and I'm fairly certain someone there could help you out with your quest.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    Unless I'm mistaken, those types of calendars have an entire year printed on them. When I was young, they sold cloth calendars like that for kitchen décor, but I haven't seen them in 20+ years. It came with a small wooden dowel that you ran through the top, and a string that you tied to the dowel ends in order to hang it up. At the end of the year, you took it down and used it as a kitchen/tea towel. The set decorators likely obscured the year printed on it for obvious reasons (reruns), but this type of cloth calendar was just the sort of thing that would have been hanging in a typical American kitchen in the 1960s-1980s.

https://clickamericana.com/topics/home-garden/vintage-calendar-towels-from-retro-kitchens

5. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    So here's another question - how did they all end up in Florida?? Dorothy and Sophia especially. I know how Rose got there.

But Dorothy and Sophia are from Brooklyn as is Stan...

• Like Like x 1
  6. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +899
    One of the many plot holes that The Golden Girls is revered for. This show's fan-base is fueled by discussing such inconsistencies.

I'll try to and work up some answers from my fairly good knowledge of the show, even though I've personally never thought about how they all ended up in Florida.

Rose Nylund Well, as you can learn from the episode "A Piece of Cake", you know that Rose eventually decides to leave her hometown of St. Olaf, Minnesota after spending her entire life there. She tells her deceased husband Charlie, on the day of her birthday, that she's made the decision because the "winters are rough here in Minnesota" and that she decided to go because she had "read some wonderful things about Miami". But you already knew that.

Blanche Devereaux Apparently, Blanche had met her husband George in Atlanta (exactly where and how will depend on which of the many different explanations you side with) and the two move to Florida to start their family. The house that's at the center of the show and home to the four ladies is where Blanche and George was living when he died (again there are many different stories of his death). There also seems to be some inconsistency as to whether this was the house she raised her children or not.

Dorothy Zbornak You're right. Dorothy was said to have been raised in Brooklyn, New York, and that's apparently where she and Stan were married and raised their kids. Sitting here typing this, I don't recollect one line, or even a improperly executed inconsistency, that explains when and why Dorothy relocated to Miami. I'd guess that Dorothy decided to move somewhere new after she and Stan were divorced after thirty-eight years, but like I said, I don't think the show ever spelled that out.

Sophia Petrillo Well, everything that Sophia did and everywhere she went depends almost solely on Dorothy when taking in the content of the series into mind. There's no concrete evidence from the show surrounded this, but I'm sure she had came down to Florida with Dorothy after she had divorced Stan. There is one episode when Sophia's sister, Angela, is visiting and she's trying to get Angela to move to Miami. Sophia says, "Before your husband died, you lived here for thirty-three years." I'm not sure if here is a reference to Florida or America in general, considering Angela is said to have lived in Sicily at the time.

Stan Zbornak He had left Dorothy after thirty-eight years to marry an airplane stewardess named Chrissy. In the second episode, "Guess Who's Coming to the Wedding", Stan and Dorothy's daughter, Kate, is getting married. Stan comes into Miami from Maui to give his daughter away. Fast-forwarding to when Stan and Chrissy gets a divorce, I think there's an indication in the dialogue or it's at least "assumed" that he has decided to settle in Miami, which naturally fuels almost all of his guest gigs to annoy Dorothy.

I realize a lot of this seems spotty. My memory on how each of these came to be in Miami is hazy, outside of Rose, and I've simply tried to piece together something that at least seems logical from what the show did provide, albeit inconsistently.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    Everything you wrote jives with my own recollections/understandings. The only additions I would make:

***I personally think that Blanche and George started their family in another house, that they moved to the Richland Avenue house in a period after many of their kids had grown up. I base this on how un-sentimental and/or non-reactive Blanche's daughters were when they visited. They had no waves of nostalgia or made remarks about how "Oh, Dorothy's room used to be my room when I was little" or anything like that. Blanche was said to have five kids, and the Richland Avenue house only has four bedrooms, which would be a 'downsizing' place for a wealthy couple who have sent a couple of kids away to college but still had one or two with them.

***I think Stan and Dorothy lived in many places in their marriage. They said he had all kinds of sales jobs, not just the novelty business, and that he had failed at many of them. They might have lived in the Florida area at some point prior to the divorce. The recurring plot point of S&D inheriting that Miami apartment building from his uncle (the one Uncle Angelo ended up living in) gave some additional grounding to the idea that some of Stan's family already lived in Florida, and we all know he had no qualms about sponging off relatives or anyone else. The flashback where Alice Ghostley played Stan's overbearing mother had her living in a trailer park that seemed suspiciously Florida-like, though I don't think they said it for certain. S&D were likely living in Miami when Stan dumped her, but why Sophia was there? No idea. Sal had died many years before, but until her stroke she was likely perfectly able to live on her own in Brooklyn.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,454
    During this lockdown, The Golden Girls has taken on new meaning for me. It's a little oasis amidst this terrible time. The show is always bright, cheery, and since I associate it with the 80's, it's a time capsule when a lockdown or plague was the furthest thing from our minds.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +899
    I couldn't agree more. And now that I've got Hulu, the complete episodes are right there at my finger tips.

10. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    Are they the versions that originally aired on NBC, or the hacked-to-pieces versions that syndicators air all over cable these days? I enjoy watching the show any way I can, but I recently saw the 'original' (uncut) version of "A Little Romance" (where Rose dates a little person) and there were so many differences.

11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,205
    There was the fear of the Big Bomb, the danger of nuclear energy and you really don't want live through that pastel-o-mania again. Oops, everything's pastel in Florida, forget what I said.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,454
    You're right. The Cold War was still on, and the Golden Girls even had an episode that addressed it.
    However, after reading the news about China illegally testing a nuclear bomb, I'm more scared of them NOW then I was of the USSR then.
    Blanche, Rose, Sophis, and Dorothy! It's time to meet in the kitchen, eat cheesecake, tell stories and figure put what to do. Rose, when there was a virus back in St. Olaf, what....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +899
    I just recently bought a copy of the "A Little Romance" episode on eBay. It was only like fifteen dollars to buy and ship it to my house, so naturally its a reproduction and not anything that one of the four ladies actually held in their hands or anything.

According to what I've got, there are several lines that were cut out of the original NBC broadcast back on December 14, 1985. There's a whole exchange between the characters and Rose's date that is written in the script but is left out (even of the episodes on Hulu and the DVDs). There could be a few different reasons as to why this is. I remember in one interview where Jay Sandrich, who directed the pilot, said that the only issue with the show was the length of their episode. Of course, he was only talking about that original pilot that he directed, but I'm sure length issues was something The Golden Girls ran into more than once. To squeeze in another commercial, the producers might have sliced a few lines from that dinner on the lanai scene, and just jumped directly into Jonathan (Rose's little friend) and Blanche conversing walking back into the living room.

However, there is always the possibility that what I bought is inaccurate. I don't know why someone making a reproduction would add lines just for the heck of it, but I guess it's not entirely far-fetched. I seriously doubt that's what has happened in this situation. The issue with the running time of "A Little Romance" is the more logical answer.

But I am interested in this uncut version of the "A Little Romance" episode you were privileged to watch. Do you happen to remember where it was you watched it? Is there anyway you could possibly share where it was you watched this, so I could perhaps view it, too? Thanks.

[​IMG]

14. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Hahaha I love that one - Dr Jonathan Newman!!!! :D I will give it another watch and get back to you.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  15. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    Brent Collins (who played Dr. Newman) was a regular on NBC's Another World when he guest-starred in that episode. His AW character, Wallingford, was on that show for years, until Collins passed away, often as comic relief with Linda Dano (Felicia).

The episode I saw was from the "official" season one DVD's. Since I'm such a fan of AW I always try to stop and watch this episode when it airs on Logo or TVLand or Hallmark or whoever has the rights, so it's become almost like I can recite the dialogue. This was why I noticed right away that there were "extra bits and pieces" in the DVD version because I didn't recall them in the syndicated reruns I see over and over.

That sounds like material that was indeed 'cut for time,' and ended up on the cutting-room floor. When filming in front of an audience there are always issues with running time, since some jokes might get longer laughs, or the actors might play a scene quicker than the original timing.

I know that soaps used to play with their run time by having characters seen outside, then opening a door, then walk through that door, take off their coat, put down a purse, etc. and call out to the character in the next room that they've arrived to talk to, all so they can kill about 20-30 seconds of screen time. If the episode has to be shortened, the scene will open with the character already inside and entering the next room to meet the character they're coming to see. That way, time was cut, but no dialogue or "action" has to be lost in the editing, but if the run-time is okay, they don't have to touch that material.

The highlight of that episode for me is when Blanche, upon realizing Jonathan isn't there as some kind of joke/prank, laments "Oh, God I wish I was dead." Rue's delivery of that line is PERFECT.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Addict EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I think I'm going to buy the compete german boxed set DVD as there is the english language version. If I recall correctly, from the few minutes I saw when I was a kid, the french version was horrible. And I was too young to be interested anyway. It's been a few months that I am watching the show, and I love it so much.

I watched the Golden Palace too, and it's not as bad as I thought (so many Golden Girls fans seem to hate this spin off) I actually enjoyed it very much too, even if Dorothy is obviously missed.

17. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    I would have been more inclined to continue following the 'Girls minus Dorothy' if they had come up with a better premise for the spin-off. I did watch Golden Palace but not enthusiastically, mostly because they had seemingly snatched the Girls out of their familiar home and forced them to go back to work in their retirement years.

18. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,869
    To be honest, the problem wasn´t the "missing girl". The other characters were lackluster. Besides, one of them was a child, thus cursing the series since episode 1...The formula was successful, so changing the ingredients that way made the dish poisonous (boring to death, I mean). I only watched a few episodes but I felt pity for the three actresses right away...Maybe having a different "girl" (or "boy"?) might have been better? A husband for Sophia? Anyway, I think that most shows that overpass the 5th year are doomed and should be canceled by law...There are exceptions but nobody can sustain quality, especially in a sitcom.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  19. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +257
    In the episode "Stan's Return" from season 1, Stan visits Dorothy from Maui and says he needs her signature/approval to sell land they bought when they were on their honeymoon in Miami. So the implication is that Dorothy liked the area or had sentimental reasons for moving to Miami. I don't think it was ever made clear whether Dorothy and Stan lived in Miami during their marriage.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Addict EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Actually, I know that many Golden Girls fans dislike Golden palace very much. But I actually started watching Golden Palace and Golden Girls approximately at the same time (recently) and yes, I am spoiled on many plots, but I don't mind.

Fun fact : there are many new GG fans who never knew GP existed. Most of them love GP actually (based on the many positive comments on youtube)