1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golden Girls: Who's Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by ClassyCo, Jun 11, 2019.

?

Who's your favorite Golden Girl?

1. Dorothy Zbornak (Bea Arthur)

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Rose Nylund (Betty White)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Blanche Devereaux (Rue McClanahan)

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. All of them (It's too hard to decide...!)

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,834
    Blanche...I loved her sass :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    I think Blanche was allowed "introspective moments" rather than actual explorations of her issues, which gave an idea that a lot more was going on under the surface. Dorothy's issues from her past were trotted out as plot fodder quite often; we saw a lot more of her past via flashbacks, and her kids and ex-husband appeared more often than any of Blanche or Rose's relatives. Blanche's problems with her kids were fairly well known, but 90% of what we knew about her relationships with her kids was just references in dialogue that left a lot to be explained. I'm reminded of a particular scene where one of Dorothy's kids (Michael, I think) was visiting and Blanche pointed out that at least he wanted to come see his mother--"You probably notice that none of my kids seem to want to come see me..." she tossed in, but they changed the subject and never pursued what was a sad (but introspective) thing to say. Other than Rebecca's multi-episode arc, and Janet's appearance in a two-part episode (where she did virtually nothing, despite many references to the strife between Janet and Blanche) I recall nothing being said about her other three children other than the occasional name-check. Blanche often laid blame on herself for the sad state of relations between her and her kids (especially Janet), but I think that is just the default feeling all parents feel in situations like this. We didn't get to see how much of their issues was Blanche and how much was the kids.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,201
    Once upon a time, soapchat used to have special forums outside the forum and everyone could start one of these "clubs" and invite other forum members.
    I was invited to a gay club (Lord knows why) called "Friends Of Dorothy" and I assumed that it was Dorothy Zbornak because Golden Girls is, well, very, very gay.
    But no, it turned out to be Dorothy from The Oz story. I asked him "why?" and he explained that it was a reference to "we're not in Kansas anymore".
    I said "aha", but to be honest I didn't really get it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    I’m only starting to understand why things like programmes and characters are seen as very gay now @Willie Oleson - as two of my best friends are gay males and one in particular likes to dress up at Halloween as Liza Minnelli. I get Golden Girls being gay and my Sue Ellen is also a gay icon - very proud of her actually :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,041
    I chose “All of Them” I love all the characters they worked so wonderful together.

• Like Like x 2
  6. i love jr ewing

i love jr ewing Soap Chat Star EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,009
    I like Sophia and Blanche.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +899
    Let's discuss the continuity errors. It's one of the biggest discuss starters fans of The Golden Girls like to discuss.

8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,869
    - The vanishing gay cook?
    - Blanche´s undefined age?
    - The metamorphing house?
    - Dorothy´s son´s age?

upload_2020-2-10_16-22-13.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    I have all the seasons and I go back and forth with them.

I was on Season 1 last week and noticed how Blanche goes to her room as if she is going out on to the lanai. But Blanche's room is established as down the hallway at the end in later seasons.

I also wonder what happened to the cook in Episode 1?

And wasn't Arnie, Miles at an earlier episode on a cruise ship or did they just look alike?

• Like Like x 1
  10. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +899
    The age of Michael Zbornak is a big debate. How old is this guy?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    In Season 5, he's established as being 30.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +899
    Then he cannot be the child Dorothy got pregnant with in high school. When Kate appears in the first and second seasons, she's referenced as around thirty or so as well, so she cannot be the result of a teenage pregnancy, either. There's either another kid lurking around as a result of Stan and Dorothy's premarital fling, someone's memory is fuzzy, or somebody needs a refresher course on simple arithmetic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Wasn't Kate born first?

You're right though - If Dorothy is almost 60, that makes no sense one of them was conceived when she was 16.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    The "overall conclusion" is that Kate was the baby that S&D conceived first, but you're right that they screwed up and got the dates wrong. I recall within an episode they contradicted themselves in dialogue about who was born first, and how old they had to be if that was the birth order. Both their ages were wrong though; Dorothy often said she was married to Stan for 38 years, and they established that Dorothy was divorced less than six months when she moved in with Blanche. So at the very youngest, the first-born would have had to be 39-40 y.o. when the series started...and neither of them looked that age when we met them.

Speaking of which, Michael married that older woman (Lorraine) in an episode, saying they were going to have a baby. Later, when Michael showed up to sponge off his parents, they said Lorraine had thrown him out, but nothing was said about the baby. One would think the condition/placement of Dorothy's only grandchild (and as far as we knew, Sophia's only great-grandchild) would have at least been mentioned. This is a textbook example of how they picked and chose which continuity to follow from episode to episode. Similarly, Blanche often spoke of her childhood (especially the rivalries) with her sisters. She also had a brother, but except for the two episodes in which he appeared, he is never brought up in her frequent family/childhood stories, and he's not part of the funeral episode for Big Daddy.

I read an explanation of why the set doesn't match the exteriors of the house. You've likely noticed how the garage faces the road in the exterior shots, and yet the characters enter and exit the garage through the kitchen...which is a back door. One of the original set designers said that when they filmed the pilot, they literally did not have a kitchen set built, since none of the scenes were set in the kitchen (I know--blasphemy!). They realized they would have to have one eventually (since all Susan Harris sitcoms have some of their funniest moments in kitchens) so they "borrowed" the kitchen set from another show. The problem was that no one had really figured out where to "tack it on" to the established sets. You'll notice in the early episodes that they had not really figured out what was where, like the path to Blanche's room in the pilot was later the route to the lanai. By placing the kitchen where they did, it made the transitions easier from the living room, but it threw the rest of the house layout into confusion. Two of the four bedrooms are where the garage ought to be, and one of them is where the lanai is said to be.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +359
    ya know well i have friends who are gay as well, it's funny how the golden girls is a show for gays well i'm straight and i love the show. but than i also love musicals as well, anyways
    that is confusing but than if you look at Friends and their ages i read awhile back how Ross's age seems to always be 29 going from the start of the show damn near to having him turn it like 3 or 4 times at least. they never can figure out how old the guy is. or was it 28? one or the other

16. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    I was watching Season 2, and it does annoy me how often Dorothy is picked on as being the 'unattractive one'. Bea Arthur did have quite a manly appearance, but she is very striking. I wonder did she ever get annoyed at these constant references??

17. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,191
    I HATED the Golden Girls, couldnt pay me to watch it but not really a fan of US comedy/ fake canned laughter, by the same token couldnt pay me to watch friends either

The only US show i thought was "funny" then waas Cheers

And whenever i saw pics of them in the Nat Enquirer always thought one looked like a man in drag @Sarah

18. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    She got so tired of it that she actually went to the producers and asked them to tone it down. Unlike certain traits of the other characters (Rose's stupidity/naivety; Blanche's trampiness), making fun of Dorothy's supposed unattractiveness was just as much a slam on Bea Arthur as it was on Dorothy. They agreed to tone it down in the ending years of the series, and even made a point of giving her occasional plotlines that made Dorothy just as attractive to the man-of-the-week as the other ladies.

And for the record, Bea Arthur was said to be 5'8" barefooted. That's not freakishly tall; they played up her height with wacky clothes and probably put her in heels most of the time.

19. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +955
    Yes, Arthur did get tired of being cut down all of the time, and also loathed the wardrobe that TPTB gave Dorothy.

The show ran for seven years but could have easily been cancelled about two years earlier. Seasons 05 and 07 were horrible.

20. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +899
    The Golden Girls didn't use canned laughter. It was shot before a live audience.

• Agree Agree x 1