Golden Girls: Who's Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by ClassyCo, Jun 11, 2019.

?

Who's your favorite Golden Girl?

1. Dorothy Zbornak (Bea Arthur)

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Rose Nylund (Betty White)

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Blanche Devereaux (Rue McClanahan)

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty)

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. All of them (It's too hard to decide...!)

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +641
    Who's your favorite Golden Girl?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,788
    Medals:
    Dorothy. I love her sarcasm and how she looks at people when they're being dumb.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    Easily Dorothy :) Then Sophia, Rose and Blanche in that order. The dynamic between them all is fantastic and it's one of my favourite shows after Dallas.

Dorothy just makes me laugh constantly with her put downs, sarcasm and facial expressions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Too hard to decide, but I changed my vote to Sophia when I saw she didnt get any yet:embarrassed:
    They were all so good together, and they
    were all given their moments to shine.
    I do wish I was as tough as Dorothy, though:)
    Also, if I make it to Sophia's age, I hope I'm like her!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    I love them all, Blanche probably the most and Sophia a very close second, then Dorothy and Rose.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,292
    Medals:
    It was tough to choose between Dorothy and Blanche. I went with the one who had fewer votes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Medals:
    Both Dorothy and Blanche were the most characteristic characters, I've voted for Blanche because I like the Southern accent and mannerism ("and I said to myself, Water Lily, ….")
    Rose and Sofia were the joke-characters, but the effect of the jokes (that what made it humorous) came from Dorothy and Blanche, imho.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +641
    In case anyone was wondering, yours truly voted for Dorothy. I have been a fan of The Golden Girls for ten or twelve years at least, but my favoring of the characters has slightly shifted over time.

For the longest time, I remember liking Rose the best. Her dingbat antics and St. Olaf stories were hilarious to me. (To this day, my cousin is a diehard Rose Nylund fan.) But, as time went on, I shifted toward Blanche. Being a native Georgian, I felt a connection with her Southern accent and witticisms, although some of them were not always entirely accurate to Southern lifestyles, although they still made me laugh. Her floozy or "loose" lifestyle brings a lot of stories to the tell, and like Rose's St. Olaf background, are always gems. In the last little while, however, I have fallen the most for Dorothy, and in particularly Bea Arthur. Her stares, reactions, and delivery are all the makings of a strong and true TV comedy actress, and she is undoubtedly my favorite of the quartet. No one, and I mean no one, does triple takes like her.

If I were to put the four in an order, it would go like this:
    Dorothy: that sarcastic tongue, one-liners, double/triple takes, reactions, etc., were all timeless and not-so-easily duplicated.
    Sophia: one-liners, expressions, and sarcastic tongue all come to mind. (can sometimes be placed third on my list)
    Blanche: Southern, sassy, vain, etc. (can sometimes be second)
    Rose: my least favorite, but still a gem when those St. Olaf stories come into play. ​

• Like Like x 1
  9. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Medals:
    Dorothy, BAR NONE (if you’re a GG fan, you’ll know that reference...)......

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +266
    The look on Bea Arthur's face in reaction to the other characters' jokes very often
    made those jokes twice as funny. Bea Arthur was so great, I can't deny that, and Dorothy Z. is one of the best all time characters on t.v. There's a reason why Deadpool wears a t.v. shirt with Dorothy's face on it.
    Bea Arthur makes a memorable cameo on Curb Your Enthusiasm. It may have been her last appearance on t.v. if I'm not mistaken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,644
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Having watched the complete show recently for the first time, I have to say that it´s a hard choice but I voted for Blanche, because she was much more than a "slut". She had a gold heart and even when she wanted to be a beech, she couldn´t go all the way. And especially, she wasn´t resentful to any of those ladies who called a tramp every day. That´s a unique quality. I can´t imagine any other actress in the role.

I liked Dorothy but I always had the impression that Bea Arthur was getting bored more and more in the series. Maybe it was Dorothy who led a boring life and Arthur just reflected that. And those gowns were to die for (literally). Rose was a doll, though sometimes she could turn into an Annabelle doll and was much funnier. The problem is that the character was a parody (like the others, I guess) but they didn´t get much deeper into her psyche (as they did with all the others). Of course, White played it to perfection and gave it so much soul. About Sophia, I´d only say that she was the perfect balance for the younger ladies, and without her, the show wouldn´t have been the same.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +641
    I agree wholeheartedly with your critiquing of Sophia. Had she been absent, or only an occasional guest star, it wouldn't have provided the same quality or balance that made this foursome ensemble so dear and admired.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +266
    One of the things I really liked about the show is the dialogue. There were so many clever one liners and even "throw away comments"(if I'm using the phrase correctly) that were hilarious and brilliant. A few examples:
    Dorothy(after Rose explained how all the sugary snacks have inhibited her sleep): "Couldn't sleep? I'm surprised you didn't go out and kill the mayor of San Francisco!"

Blanche: I tried to behave like a lady. I waved politely over his shoulder with my foot."
    Sophia(when she's in the convent): "They're in the gift shop. There's a dale on John the Baptist place maps."

Rose: I thought Malamuds were chocolate cookies with marshmallow inside?"
    :lolling::ll:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    Medals:
    :laugh1:One of my favourites is when Sophia goes missing in the hospital and Blanche runs up to Dorothy saying 'Did you find her?' and Dorothy says, 'Yes Blanche. But now I've hidden her again so you can find her'.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +266
    That was awesome, especially Ms. Arthur's delivery.
    That reninded me of when Sophia gets out of the hospital and Stan asks Dorothy if she's home.
    Dorothy: "No, I haven't taken her out of the trunk of the car yet."
    I loved Bea Arthur on rhe GG's better rhan Maude, but I will say when ahe first guest starred on AIITF, she was perfection.

16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,644
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    My favorite gag of all the series is when Blanche or Rose says something that impels Sophia to call them slut or dumb, and then Dorothy shut up her mouth. That´s genius and they did it often in the last season. Just loved it. And no words.

upload_2019-6-13_14-37-45.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,627
    Medals:
    One of my favorite scenes involves Rose telling the others about the Herring Circus, which I personally declare as The Best St. Olaf Story of Them All. The material itself is just incredibly silly, but what pushes it over the top is Betty White's straight-faced delivery as both Bea Arthur and Rue McClanahan crack up on camera. The audience is in hysterics because it is rare to see a pro like Bea Arthur lose it. I think the director made the right call by keeping the unintentional laughing and turning-away-from-the-camera in the finished episode rather than editing it out, because it allowed us to see Bea struggling to get out the set-up line for Betty and made me like Bea even more. And of course you have to admire Betty for holding character, since it "worked" for Blanche and Dorothy to laugh at Rose, but having Rose start laughing would not have been in character at all and they would have had to re-film the scene.

Dorothy (after a bout of laughter): "Tell me, Rose [wipe away tear while laughing]….Did they ever shoot a herring out of a cannon?"

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,280
    Medals:
    Dorothy. Despite her Oz-related name, she's more like Alice in Wonderland - the only sane character in a world where everyone around her is mad.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Medals:
    mine has always always been Sophie

• Like Like x 1
  20. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count: