Gina Tognoni out and Michelle Stafford as Phyllis....

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by TJames03, Mar 31, 2019.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    GT has been fired and Michelle Stafford is back in as Phyllis on Y&R.

It is all on the 'Net.

Stafford sou ds lkke a bitch to me.....

Wasn't Tognoni accepted in the recast??

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,874
    Medals:
    This was indeed shocking news when I read it. I think GT's Phyllis was kind of "grudgingly accepted"--kind of like "Yes, she's good and it's better than no Phyllis at all," but most people seem to agree that they would accept MS back as Phyllis in a heartbeat. So Tognoni's in a bad situation, but it's not the first time a show tossed aside a recast in order to lure back the original. It would have been ideal if Y&R/Sony had found some good role for her on Days or B&B as a way of rewarding her for doing a good job and being a Team Player.

I read that this all started because contract negotiations between Stafford and GH had broken down. Nina, her GH character, is second-string at best, and often comes across as easily expendable. I like the recent story written for her, but the character hasn't been integrated into the fabric of the show since she started. I always thought (but have no way of knowing) that the show was afraid of pushing her too far into the forefront, given her tendency to over-do it. She claimed (when she got the part) that she looked forward to playing a supporting character after having been front burner on Y&R for so long. I guess she wants that front burner again (and I'm sure a much larger paycheck than GH could give). I would not object to Nina being recast, but I don't think she's vital enough to the show for that to happen. Unless Gina T might want to play her....:eek: I don't think soaps have done THAT before, but I could be wrong. I also thought it would be practically orgasmic if they recast Nina with Kimberlin Brown.

3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    I've recently returned to watching Y&R after many, many years away. I've liked what I've seen of Tognoni in the role, although it's definitely a different version to Stafford's. The two actress play the neuroses of the character quite differently. I'm sad to lose Tognoni to Stafford but that's down to being a fan of Gina's going back to her days on GL and OLTL. I've also never really been a big fan of Stafford.

Tognoni's instagram post regarding the casting switch makes her seem like a class act.

4. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    I also have to agree with what a lot of people are saying on Twitter--that Tognoni's Phyliss didn't have any chemistry with Nick.

5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,874
    Medals:
    Once upon a time GH had an entire circle of characters (a family, as it were) around Nina. Now, with the exception of Dr. O and Maxie, all the relatives are either dead (Silas, Madeline, Nathan) or left town (Ric, Britt). The only characters left who had major interactions with her--Franco and Ava--have nothing to do with her, and it looks like splitsville for her and Valentin. Sasha is not her daughter, and Willow likely is--will she even get to play that out before MS leaves?

6. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Still a shame as GT always seemed like a nice person as opposed to MS......

I would love for GT to move to Salem on DOOL. Maybe have her be Noel Curtis......

7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,874
    Medals:
    Adding to the BTS drama: the character of Nina on GH has been recast with Cynthia Watros, famous for the role of psychotic nurse Annie Dutton on Guiding Light. The two characters are cut from the same cloth, though Annie started out normal then become a homicidal maniac, whereas Nina started out nuts and then toned it down. I wonder if her casting is a sign that perhaps they want to re-visit unstable Nina once her relationship with Valentin blows up.

8. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    That's a nice "get" for GH. I love Watros. I would love to watch her go toe to toe with Maura West. I haven't watched GH in ages. Are Nina and Ava interacting these days?

9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,874
    Medals:
    No, but I'm willing to bet the show will suddenly be writing scenes for Nina with all kinds of characters she never/rarely interacted with before. It was an 'open secret' that Stafford and Roger Howarth didn't get along (though the Franco/Nina story was a favorite of mine), and I also noticed that the show actively sought to keep Ava and Nina from interacting. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I think they scrapped the plan to reveal Kiki as Nina's long-lost daughter because it would have forced West and Stafford to do a lot more scenes together. After that story was steered in another direction (shortly after the Kiki/Griffin affair), they seemed to give up on Kiki, leading to her being killed off. So now that CW is taking on the role of Nina, we may see her doing scenes with a lot more varied characters--not just Valentin and Maxie. This can only help the character, since being shuttled off to scenes with a limited number of characters hurt Nina for years.

10. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Does Stafford get along with ANYONE??!

She's got this 'angry white woman' mythos surrounding her. I have never liked Wattros. She must be slumming back to soaps because when she left Guiding Light, her career was pretty strong g (and she did replace Jensen Buchanan as Vicky for a bit on Another world)..…

11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,874
    Medals:
    I wasn't paying close attention, but I recall Watros's departure from Lost was because she and a few other cast members got drunk while on location in Hawaii and I think she got a DUI...I'm sure a better explanation can be found somewhere on the 'net. Odd coincidence since the actress she temporarily replaced on AW, Jensen Buchanan, is currently in jail due to a drunk-driving incident, and her former Guiding Light colleague Kim Zimmer also wrote in her autobiography about a DUI she got during the waning years of Guiding Light.

When AW knew they would need to recast Vicky for a week or so, the producers contacted Anne Heche's people about doing it. She was of course at the height of her film career but had always spoke highly of her days on AW. In a later interview, Heche stated that her agent turned it down without even telling her, and that if she had known about the chance (which would have been two or three days' work, tops), she would have taken it. She understood it would have been a great publicity stunt for the show she still loved, and it would be a chance to see some of her old friends. I know I would have been thrilled to see her again, even if she would have been playing a very different Vicky than the one she had left behind.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  12. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Buchanan must have been difficult on OLTL because she offered to return to the show soon after she left and was told a firm 'No.'

She then got the roles of Vicky and Marley in AW....