1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Fire at the Carrington mansion

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Richard Channing, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Falcon Crest was on fire twice during it's run, Southfork also had two fires if you include Dallas TNT, so should there have been a fire at the Carrington mansion too? Of course there should have, but I guess they preferred to spend the money on clothes and flowers. So, if you agree there should have been a fire at the mansion, which season cliffhanger should it have been? How does it play out? Who, if anyone, dies?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Medals:
    I still like Snarky's idea of the tenth and final season being where the mansion catches fire. I imagined the ending shot being of Blake, with Krystina in his arms, surrounded by Fallon, Steven, Adam and Amanda, the fiery orange light reflected on their faces as they gaze up in horror.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +211
    That's a good idea! It would be a nice metaphor for them being consumed by their own excess and materialism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Sounds good, although if it was really the final episode ever I would want at least one major character to die in the fire, so maybe one of the four siblings wouldn't make it. Actually if it were absolutely definitely the last episode ever I would even have Alexis die in the fire. And perhaps Adam also dies in a bid to rescue her. That part of the house totally collapses on them. Alexis was an epic and dramatic character, she deserved an epic and dramatic ending. Not cozy at home with the family watching home videos or whatever she was up to at the end of the reunion. She came in with a bang, she should have gone out with one too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Medals:
    I actually thought about Alexis dying in the final episode, but it wouldn't be in the fire. No, instead, I'd take Snarky's other idea for the series finale, that Alexis convinces Krystle to help her hide Dennis Grimes' body in the lake... only I'd give it a twist:

Remove Dennis Grimes, and replace it with Krystle finally snapping and killing Alexis, before sinking the body into the lake.

And as Krystle watches the corpse sink deep down into the murky water, she says aloud, "The end."

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Medals:
    As for who could die in the fire... why not Blake? That way, if they still decided to do a mini-series reunion of sorts, they'd have two great plotlines: whatever happened to Alexis, and who inherits Daddy's money, business and house? I think it would be interested if each of Blake's holdings were divided up specifically for each of his children, such as... Fallon becomes the new head of Denver-Carrington, but the Carrington mansion is left to Adam. Now we have conflict: the two most combative siblings want what the other has, and is going to try and wrest it away from them, and Steven and Amanda are forced to pick sides.

In fact, there could be another mystery: who set the fire? Who's responsible for Blake Carrington's death?

And what will Krystle do now? She may have finally rid her life of her nemesis, but she's now also lost the love of her life. Thankfully, there's still Krystina, her stepchildren, and step-grandchildren. Of course, Linda Evans might not want to come back, so maybe the character could be written out, that she travels away with Krystina.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,186
    Medals:
    After I'd have Alexis and Krystle dump Dennis Grimes' body in that lake his father once floated out of; a couple of episodes later I want Eva Braun (who's been searching for that crystal skull which never emerged with The Collection because Adam stole and it and gave it to Alexis) to shoot Caress and Sable late one night at the mansion, sconces are upset and a fire begins, just as Blake and Krystle return from town where a judge gave him a lot of his stuff back.

Ridiculous? Yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +656
    No. I've always wanted Sable to meet her Maker on Dynasty.

9. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    But the show did have a fire (in La Mirage) and it was completely wasted--so why also burn the FiLoLi reproduction? At the end of 6B, a season when the show was trying to hit all the right notes, the producing team showed once again pettiness and shortsightedness with such a potential plot windfall. Instead of using it to put characters in peril, they only used it to oust poor Bellwood for the crime of getting pregnant. And let's not forget the previous fire (the cabin) also ended up being a dud because of the culprit, though the cliffhanger itself was great. So, unless DYNASTY grows up, I am taking the matches away from it.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Well I'm not sure turning Krystle into a murderer would be a fitting end for her character, unless there was some logical explanation like a ceiling fan told her to do it.

Although I could be down for a mother of all cat fights which resulted in Alexis' accidental death. Possibly being impaled on something.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,148
    Medals:
    The only way I could see Krystle be a murderer would be if she was protecting her child. By the end of Dynasty I couldn't see Alexis as someone who would intentionally endanger Kristina. Such a plot would only ruin both characters.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,186
    Medals:
    Of course Krystle wouldn't kill anybody on purpose.

I have Alexis staying in the near-empty mansion (with incarcerated Blake's permission) because Dennis Grimes is stalking her (Caress and Sable are managing the auction of the estate's pricey trappings). After a late night dinner between the three women during which Alexis reveals that Caress had told Blake back in '64 when and where he could find his wife in bed with Roger Grimes, Caress likewise admits that she was jealous and carrying Roger's baby (although asserts it was from rape, causing Sable to flinch nervously which leads the viewer to believe her own rapist may have also been Roger). The dinner ends tensely, as one would expect, and Sable (who is upset) and Caress (who has a midnight meeting in Denver) ostensibly leave the house... When she hears and see the younger Grimes break thru a French door in the darkened ballroom where she's wandered in search of another drink, a drunken Alexis pulls a derringer on him from her robe -- in that hysterical, discombobulated way she has; he pauses, grabs for a gun in his jacket, and she steps forward, trips over the leg of nearby chaise lounge, her pistol falling to the floor of the ballroom and discharging, Dennis struck in the head and killed... Realizing what she's inadvertently done, Alexis panics and tries to wrap Grimes' body up in an oriental rug when -- oops! -- a pair of legs in a skirt can be seen reflected in the bottom panes of the french door walking into view, the chandelier lights goes on, and Alexis, shocked, spins around to see Krystle (looking like she just got off a cruise ship) standing there.

Krystle, innocent but demanding, asks, "What's going on??" Alexis, hyperventilating and inebriated, doesn't know how to respond. Krystle turns to call an ambulance, but Alexis bleats out that the man on the floor is dead. "Well, we have to call the police...!" and goes to a phone in the outside hallway. Alexis chases after her, shrieking that if she calls the police, Blake will go to prison forever and Krystle will never see her daughter again. Now disgusted and contemptuous, Krystle doesn't know what to make of Alexis' maniacal claims, nor her offers to pay Krystle for her silence.

Ultimately, Krystle relents and they load Dennis' corpse into the back of Alexis' white Rolls Royce, the duo driving him out to the lake at Delta Rho... Remember, both women are chemically altered, so it's ultimately forgiven.

But when Alexis returns to the mansion and near collapse on the grand staircase, Caress reveals she saw the entire thing from a balcony window. And suggests favors might keep her quiet.

I just feel like I've seen it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Having Alexis and Krystle be accomplishes to an unintentional crime would have been an amazing storyline, and one that would have brought the two women together again in scenes other than perfunctory put-downs. Too bad the show never tried.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,186
    Medals:
    In my mental version of the show, the Colbys spent several weeks in Denver during Season 6, and after Constance dies (although I'd never call her "Constance" as it sounds too bland and it's just too darned PEYTON PLACE) and the Colbys then leave, Sable and Frankie's mother, Agatha (none other than Bette Davis and named by @Willie Oleson ), appears at Blake & Krystle's doorstep in search of her daughters, unaware they've returned to Los Angeles. Agatha has a drink with the Carringtons in the study, dinner with family, she calls Sable on the phone to say she's on her way to California, drops by Alexis' office at ColbyCo to praise her niece with insults, and then, in her final scene, visits Caress and gives her a mysterious envelope of stuff, telling her ominously: "You'll know what to do with this when the time is right." (The writers wouldn't even have to come up with an explanation right away for what's in the packet -- it's just ripe for subsequent exploitation). Agatha is not pleased with her youngest daughter's dalliance with Sable's husband; Caress, who'd always maintained a cordial but distant relationship with Aunt Agatha, is surprised but intrigued.

Bette would've totally done it. If they'd asked her. Then she could go do an episode or two of the spin-off itself.

Later, if Paulsen is listening to nature and in tune with retrospective foreshadowing (and of course he is) it could later be explained in Season 10 that Caress had been the one who'd pulled Sable into the search for The Collection, using the information in Agatha's envelope, only Sable was never made aware of its dangerous Nazi background, let alone that shadowy forces were still after that crystal skull Adam found glowing gently in the basement of the mansion and then surreptitiously spirited off to his mother in a duffel. And even Caress herself didn't quite know what she was getting them into.

All of which leads to the fire in the series' final reel.

Oh, Caress. You're just so destructive.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In my head, I always cast Sylvia Sidney as Eva Braun.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +656
    :popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Medals:
    I just thought of someone else who could die in the series finale: Jeff. :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    What is dead may never die

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    A fire at the Carrington mansion would be a perfect cliffhanger.

Perhaps for an alternate season 6, in which the older generation: Blake, Alexis, Caress, Ben, Sable, Dominique and Jason are mysteriously called away to a cabin in the mountains because of the Nazi treasure and Roger Grimes death 22 years earlier.

Meanwhile the younger generation plus Krystle, Dex and Claudia are in the mansion having a party, when the mansion is surrounded by mercenaries sent by Ben Carrington as he has to destroy evidence of his communist/religious cult network files in the mansion.

They throw grenades at the mansion and the mansion blows up...... all the while a mysterious limo rolls down the window and we see a veiled woman and a man hidden by a hat, laughing with glee.... as the mansion burns

• Like Like x 1
  19. colbyco

colbyco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    I alwas wanted a fire in the mansion ... really dramatic with fire everywhere and screaming people. But no new set the following season - I loved the mansion like it was - just redocorate it onscreen (Spelling would be happy to spent no money for a new mansion).

S7 - Matthew and his people take over the mansion ... by midnight a crazy young woman shows up ... first she´s happy to see the family in fear that killed her mother ... when everybody sleeps Lindsay sets the mansion on fire. "That´s for my mother ..."

next season:
    dead bodies: Matthew, Lindsay and their gang, Leslie
    Krystle has nightmares the next 3 episodes and needs a psychotherapy to get over it
    Dex who rescues the family needs a skin transplant
    Sammy Jo has to use a wheelchair for some weeks; she isn´t herself for weeks, she gets depressive until she falls in love with paramedic Josh Harris who wants her money to pay his drugs

• Creative Creative x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,863
    Medals:
    Scene A: Sammy Jo and Amanda will have their catfight and after that Sammy Jo walks out of the swimming pool.

Scene B: Instead of "Damn you, Alexis. I'm gonna kill you!", Blake could have said something like "You'll never own this house! I'll burn it to the ground before that happens!"
    Unaware of the fact that a dazed Claudia has sort of wandered into the mansion (not the front door, obviously).

Scene C: It's midnight, and Blake receives a phone call from Ben. "You want your castle back, brother? I think I can help, but it's going to cost you. Meet me in front of the Roadhouse"
    "What is it, Blake?" Krystle asks when she wakes up.
    "Nothing, go back to sleep. There's something….I've got to do".
    "But Blake..."
    "This doesn't concern you, just...stay out of it!"

Scene D: The La Mirage party is over, most of the lights are out. The camera pans over the scenery:rolleyes: and its last shot is the swimming pool....with Amanda's body floating in it.

Scene E: Claudia wakes up (she went upstairs and fell asleep) and she thinks she's trapped in a nightmare of evil. "Oh no...this house, it swallows everything...everyone".
    She lights the candles and goes from one room to the next**, starting the fire intentionally, Hannah Cord style.
    [​IMG]
    She goes to the attic and hides in a closet, thinking it will protect her from the fire ("Carrie White" style).

Scene F: Final shot (from a loooong distance): the mansion inferno.

Next time, on Dynasty:
    Most of the staff die (nobody's searching for Claudia, so it will take a while to discover her body).
    Alexis sues Blake for arson, however, this time she has 2 witnesses who will confirm Blake's arson-thread.
    Furthermore, Krystle must confess that Blake went away in the middle of the night…
    Ben claims he never made any phone calls to Blake's room....

**this ain't Southfork, it will take multiple fires to create an inferno in a relatively short time.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1