England cricketer Ben Stokes charged with affray

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Mel O'Drama, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,949
    I find myself quite appalled that he's being rewarded with selection for the England team just days after being found guilty of affray for violently assaulting somebody numerous times on camera. Is this really how things work?

Don't get me wrong - I don't feel that one's career should automatically be ruined due to legal consequences. He's already lost a lucrative sponsorship deal and been suspended from the England squad (on paper, at least). But in this case I really don't think allowing things to return to normal so quickly is a good message to send. Not to his impressionable young fans. Not to the man he assaulted. And not to Stokes himself.

[​IMG]

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,992
    Some of the stuff I've read on this has been that Stokes attacked two guys who were threatening and throwing homophobic abuse at another guy.

Obviously, two wrongs don't make a right, but I question whether the two guys were charged with a hate crime? I haven't read this to be the case and if it is true I do applaud him for standing up against the homophobic behaviour and it's great that people are willing to make a stand against hate crime, but at the same time, it feels difficult to applaud someone who uses violence as the answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,949
    Yes - like you I've mixed feelings about this one. If it's true, it does put quite a different light on it all and make the people on the receiving end far less sympathetic. And it does make it seem that Stokes was well-intentioned.

As you said though, it's difficult to feel ok about the violence. And assuming the story is true, the cynical side of me would still have to wonder if Stokes's motive for getting involved was entirely altruistic or if he was just another thug looking for a scrap after a night on the booze.

This is part of the reason I question if the homophobia angle is true. So far as I can see the only time it's been mentioned was when the two guys sold their story to The Sun. All the other news stories about it cite The Sun's story as the source, but the original story now appears to have been taken down from the Sun's website.

The two guys don't appear to have any reason to lie about it, but unless there's a legal reason I find it odd that this aspect hasn't been mentioned in any official news report relating to the charges against Stokes and his court appearances. And there's been a lot of press coverage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,949
    Coming out of Stokes's appearance in court today it seems The Sun's earlier story had it completely backwards. It was Stokes himself who mocked the gay couple before the fight started.

I hope they make an example of him. From the details that are emerging his conduct that night was sickening.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-gay-couple-before-nightclub-fight-jury-hears

[​IMG]

5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,992
    Gosh!

When I got the notification I had no idea who Ben Stokes was, then when I saw my post I couldn't remember ever been here.

Then eventually, after I read the thread it all came back to me. I'm stunned at how different the original story was when we first heard the news. I hope they throw the book at him. To think I was close to applauding this guy!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,949
    :D I think maybe the thread needs a more descriptive title.

I know the likes of The Sun and The Mail aren't exactly known for accuracy and ethics, but it does boggle the mind to think how the story went from the couple calling him 'a hero' late last year to reports of footage shown in court of him mocking the couple.