Emmerdale Emmerdale

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079

I don't follow:rolleyes:, is that Finn in the photo and who is Joe?

I was confused by that too, I don't get what they are doing with these two.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Sorry Ome, The picture was of Kasim, not sure who the other guy is, I was referring to Finn as Joe 90 in looks. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    I enjoyed the pub quiz episode. However, I'm not happy they seem to be building to a Chas/Paddy reunion. I can't have one of my favorite characters stuck in a romance with one of my least favorite characters.

4. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Bit of a confession to make. I just bumped into Ashley and I gave him a couple of flyers for a jumble sale next week at our local church hall. I told him they were Undertones tickets and that it was completely sold out. He gave me £500 each for them. Especially when I told him that 1979 would be their last ever gig.

I know, I know .... but I needed the money, what with Christmas coming up.

5. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    What a thrill to see the old village featured in tonight's episode. Very cleverly done.

Esholt1.png

Esholt2.png

Esholt3.png

Esholt4.png

Esholt5.png

And overall it was an outstanding, moving episode.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    In a class of its own, so much better than its northern sister.

7. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    My view of last night's brilliant episode!!!

Ashley is obviously very confused from the advanced stages of dementia, so when he caught a glimpse of the Undertones poster in the record shop, he got it into his head that it was still 1979, and he was still living in Beckindale with his mother and brother.

What then followed was well constructed into the episode... He began visualising those close to him, Laurel, Doug, Chas and Aaron, as though they were from 1979, complete with fashions, etc... and even failing to recognise them, as reflected in the different actors playing the parts for much of the episode.

The use of Esholt again was fairly obvious, as Ashley even visualised the village as it was in 1979. It was something to with history, but yet at the same time not, as he was visualising the village as it looked in 1979, but visualised the villagers of 2016 as if they were living there back then.

All in all, a very well written, researched and acted piece of TV drama, with superb performances from all.

8. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/esholt-beckindale

FROM ESHOLT TO BECKINDALE (Mercury Films, 1976).

The long-running soap opera, Emmerdale, is filmed on location in the village of Esholt, near Bradford. This film documents how Esholt is changed into the fictional village of Beckindale for the television programme. It also examines the effect the series has on the village and its people.

The film opens with Yorkshire Television lorries arriving at the village of Esholt. The film crew unload the equipment that will be used in the production, such as cables, cameras, sound booms and dollies used for tracking shots. The producer, Ken Leckenby, interviews Mr Turner, who was the owner of ‘The Falcon’ pub in Arncliffe where filming of the series first took place, in 1972.

A film crew puts up a police sign as well as hangs a sign changing “The Commercial” to the “Woolpack Inn.” Mr Ellis, the church warden, is interviewed, and he notes that receipts in the church box have greatly increased from the contributions of film crew and tourists. Cameras are waterproofed with plastic sheets. Mr Rimmer, the current owner of ‘The Falcon’ pub in Arncliffe, is interviewed, and he notes the large increase in tourists since Emmerdale filmed there.

In a catering truck bacon cobs are made for the film crew. Another elderly local is interviewed, and he comments that he has never heard anyone grumbling about the filming. The actors arrive on set and enter the pub. These include Arthur Pentelow who played Henry Wilks, and Sheila Mercier who played Annie Sugden. The actors then perform scenes which are filmed outside the pub.

9. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,935
    Medals:
    I don't usually watch Emmerdale so a lot of the clever features of last nights episode were missed by me, for example I didn't know they used a previous location for the episode, nor that they recast some of the roles for all but the ending of the show. However, I thought the whole episode was outstanding, and easily the best portrayal of dementia I've ever seen on TV.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    I didn't rate the Christmas episode, apart from the scenes with Ashley, though I did raise an eyebrow when I saw that Jimmy gave Nicola a pearl necklace.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Not a bad episode. A little bit of useless information, When they filmed this special it actually snowed on the day, they had brought fake snow for the scenes but didn't have to use it.

Not an amazing episode but a good script with good acting and an enjoyable watch. Would you want to eat at the Dingles? Salmonella all round. What do they see in Zak????

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    I kind of liked the Christmas episode. Nothing especially dramatic, but all of the current drama sort of bubbling in the background of everyone's Christmas celebrations. I liked seeing the celebrations through the eyes of the various outsiders--Joanie and Robert, Kasim and Layla.

I am not a fan of Zach, but Denise Black as Joanie is so very effective.

I watched the episode after I had learned of George Michael's death, so the Last Christmas montage made me cry.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    Yes, I almost forgot how great that scene between her & Zak was. I really felt her sadness throughout.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    Yes, I tend to prefer these kind of Christmas episodes for Emmerdale. I thought it was a really enjoyable hour with some nice little moments - like the scenes between Nicola and Elliot.

My only disappointment was that we didn't get an appearance from Betty this year.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    Those were really nice. It was good to see her be warm and gentle for a change. I also enjoyed Ashley's reaction to Nicola in last night's episode and the way Nicola laughed it off.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Joanie should be locked up for at least a couple of years. GBH is a serious matter.

17. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    Thursday's episode was great. I'm loving the stuff with crazy Emma and Layla and Kasim. The singles party was silly fun and the stuff with Nicola, Jimmy and the kids was sweet. Although I am constantly cringing every time Finn is around Kasim.

Ross and Rebecca--I'd like to see more of that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    :lol: @ Tracey's impression of Chrissy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count: