Emmerdale Emmerdale

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    I'm enjoying the mystery surrounding holly's death. Why is Jai holding back, what is he hiding?

Also for the first time I actually enjoyed the scenes with Paddy, obviously this is down to Pierce & Liv, but still, I didn't expect to actually enjoy Paddy.

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    Tonight's episode had me really stressed out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Having watched the bulk of this week's Emmerdale episodes... I'm beginning to see the whole picture clearer...

Each episode is set on exactly the same day in various parts of Emmerdale and surrounding areas... All have different suspense-filled endings that make the viewer think... Have they, or haven't they?

Full credit to the actors who played their roles superbly during this epic week, and to the writers for such gripping excitement.
    As for the duel carriageway which some viewers have picked up on, well it has been established that Wylie's Farm is a few miles from Emmerdale Village, and closer to the motorways in North Yorkshire, and on the subject of Emma getting James downstairs... Well, seriously, would you really want a whole 10 minute scene of her dragging him down the stairs and into the kitchen...?

4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    Yep, that's the idea of POV week.

I'm guessing you didn't watch Tuesday's episode?

No I wouldn't fancy that and I'm guessing no one here would, otherwise they might have commented on it.

I thought Monday's was great.

Tuesdays - just awful. Who goes camping in Yorkshire in October with a little kid? What the hell was happening with Leo when Paddy & Marlon were running scared of some carvings in the woods? Finally why did it look like a late night in August over the supposedly late night in October?

Wednesday's was okay and I'm glad they remembered it was October and gave a more chilling atmosphere.

I'm going to assume that James either falls, or Emma pushes him and he ends up in the middle of the car crash.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Just caught up with Emmerdale tonight and to sum the episode up in a nutshell:-

FANTASTIC/AMAZING STUNTS

RIDICULOUS OTT STORYLINE

I may be in a minority of one, but being honest it didn't do alot for me, can't wait to get back to normal. The problem we have is itv insist on having a massive storyline on the anniversary which falls in October. It is the same with Coronation St and BGT week. I suppose you could say the same for EastEnders with their storylines over Christmas and the New Year.

IMO it doesn't help the life and the health of a soap.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    I thought it was a pretty uneven week.

I enjoyed the Robert/Aaron episode, even though it felt a bit like fan fiction wish fulfillment. I hated the Paddy/Rhona episode. I thought Emma was turned into a psycho way too fast but Gillian Kearney was awesome. The Ashley stuff was heartbreaking. I'll admit to getting sucked into Thursday's episode and really enjoying it. I'm a sucker for a stunt and I had fun with it.

Still not sure who is going to end up dead.

It was definitely OTT. It reminded me of something that might happen on Hollyoaks.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +477
    New Emmerdale Producer Ian McLeod is ex Hollyoaks

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    Really enjoyed the last couple of nights on Emmerdale, but I feel somewhat let down when it turned out to be James they were burying, but only because it's been public knowledge that he was leaving and yet they tried to build it up as if some other character was going to die.

That said, I'm glad he's dead because it gives Emma more freedom to carry on her psychotic episodes.

I'm also relieved that Ashley survived and I love how seeing Emma on the bridge in her wedding dress caused him more confusion, it's going to be interesting where this goes for Ashley & Emma.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    My enjoyment of the week was soured by Robert's horrid story about what happened to him at age 15. I just about bought into the idea of Robert...ahem...expanding his sexuality after he left the village, he was still only 18/19 at the time, but I can't accept the writers trying to go back and rewrite what played out onscreen at the time. Robert was a heavily featured character during his teenage years, to try and say other major things were happening to him offscreen at that time is really bad and lazy soap writing. Most of all there was no need to drag Jack into all of this. Jack and Robert's relationship was complicated for many reasons, which all played out onscreen, to try and establish now that there may have been other reasons is just wrong. Newer and younger viewers, who seem to soak up the Robert and Aaron scenes, will now have a very different idea of Jack Sugden. It was a badly misjudged scene.

Yes. The writing is now being steered in order to please a fanbase.

I hate that they've gone overboard with Emma. My heart sank during Wednesday's episode as I realised where the rest of the week was heading for Emma and James.

Though I did love the image of Emma floating around in that wedding dress, it was my favourite part of the week.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    And John Middleton is just wonderful. He's going to be a huge loss to the show.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    I was going to ask about this earlier in the week, but my thoughts were lost in the week's events that were happening.

This Robert (Ryan Hawley) is new to me, I only really remember Karl Davies in the role and I was pretty sure his sexuality was never explored, but I ended up convincing myself it was. I was totally thrown by Robert's story to Aaron, but I put it down to my various on and off viewings over the years.

I wasn't watching when Jack Sugden died and I was curious if Jack knew about Robert.

I must admit I thought the story of Jack finding out about Robert was convincing by what I remember about their relationship. Which now has me questioning.

Was Karl Davies' Robert gay?
    Did Jack know about Robert - did this play out on screen?
    Has Robert had any affairs with men onscreen other than Aaron?
    Was Ryan Hawley in the show when Jack died?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    No.

No.

I don't think so, and definitely not before 2014.

No. This Robert turned up when the Whites bought Home Farm in October 2014.

Karl Davies left the role in 2005, but returned for one episode, Jack's funeral in 2009 - an episode that mirrored the very first episode of Emmerdale - son returns to the village for father's funeral, and watches from afar. That was the last time we saw Robert until 2014.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079

Gosh, I had no idea he was only in the last couple of years. They really have changed the history.

I would be very pissed off if I hadn't stopped watching all those years ago. I'm guessing the gap in my viewing has been so long that I just accepted Robert had been out for many years.

I didn't realise it was that long ago. I just looked up when I last watched as a regular and it must have been around Jan/Feb 2007 because I quit after feeling frustrated with the 'who killed Tom King?' story. I recall watching the live the episode where Carl King was killed, but didn't stick around.

I remember reading about this and it was probably on here too.

All that aside, I'm really enjoying the show and there's quite a few characters that I'm already invested in. Here's hoping the Hollyoaks producer doesn't screw up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    I wondered about how that would sit with long time viewers and figured it wouldn't go over very well. Ryan Hawley is the only Robert I've known, so his new back story didn't phase me. However, as the scene was playing out, it did occur to me how pissed I get when this sort of thing happens with characters on Days of Our Lives that I've watched for years. It's a cheat and it's lazy writing and I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the scenes as much as I did if I was more of a long time viewer. There's a part of me (the one who has watched soaps from the US, UK, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain just to follow the gay storylines) who is eating this up and there is another part of me who is a bit worried about the way they are softening Robert. I love Ryan Hawley's Robert and I love him as a dastardly schemer. I guess I'm lucky, because whichever direction he goes, I'll most likely be happy.

On a related note, I've always found it really odd that they decided to pair Robert with Aaron. I'm curious when that decision was made. Surely it wasn't the plan prior to bringing the character back? I wonder why the writers decided to change Robert to make him a love interest for Aaron, rather than just find someone different for Aaron. Also, way back when they first started sleeping together, I wasn't under the impression that this was heading towards a love story, so I wonder if the direction of the story has changed a couple of times.

On another, somewhat related note, I've wondered why they never delved more into a possible relationship between Finn and Aaron beyond their one night stand. I always thought it would be interesting to see nerdy Finn and broody Aaron attempt a relationship.

Yes, my impressions of Jack are completely at the whim of how the writers have the characters discuss him--since I've never seen the character before.

Absolutely--what an amazing performance--he's just so quietly powerful.

As I've processed the week, here are a few quibbles/comments I've come up with:

• Poor Adam has now lost his sister and his biological father in the course of a month and yet I bet we won't see much fallout for him. The writers haven't seemed very interested in that character.
    • Does the funeral scene at the end of the week mean we've had a time jump? On Monday are all of them going to be out of the hospital or are we still going to be leading up to the funeral?
    • Can't the police tell from the injuries that James fell from the overpass? Can't they tell from the impact on the car? Have they mentioned that? I can understand Ashley getting a ticket for driving without a license, but why would he be liable for the whole pile up? I don't really understand what the working theory of the police is right now.
    • It seems far-fetched that Ashely was the only one who saw Emma on the overpass.
    • I couldn't help laughing at the way Aaron was screaming in the scene where Robert was trying to get the steering column off of him.
    • And Robert was able to just swim back to the car, get back into the glove compartment and retrieve the ring?
    • I'm curious what's going to happen with Lachlan. When was he able to get out of the car? I can't remember if he was wet or not. Did he escape after the car went into the water?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,079
    That first month of watching, I didn't like him. I wanted Davies back, but Hawley finally managed to win me over when he helped Andy on the run.

Yeah, that took a bit of getting used to.
    I keep forgetting Finn is gay and I didn't know he had a one night stand with Aaron. I can't even recall if they've shared a conversation in my time of watching.

I would have been gutted if this was Ashely's final story.

Excellent, now you have me wondering on all of these.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    Shortly after Aaron returned from being on the run they hooked up, but have barely interacted since.

Me too and now it goes in an interesting new direction because he saw Emma on that overpass.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Medals:
    And it hasn't been earned. It was bizarre to see Chas getting teary-eyed during Friday's episode when her son got engaged to the guy who inadvertently caused the death of her best friend. Even Andy seemed to have got over it before he left. I was quite pleased when Paddy showed his disapproval of Robert this week, at least someone remembers.

I think Kate Oates said that Robert was brought back with the intention of pairing him with Aaron, it certainly became apparent quite soon after Robert's return. I suspect the idea of a Sugden and a Dingle forming this epic gay story was just too tempting.

It should be noted that when Christopher Smith left (the original and longest serving actor to play Robert) it was rumoured that the writers intended to have Robert come out as gay after he returned from Spain. The recast happened as either Smith felt uncomfortable with this or because the show felt that a different actor was needed to play this. Smith later tried to sue YTV for unfair dismissal. However, once Karl Davies took over the role, he was soon in the midst of the infamous Robert/Katie/Andy love triangle and the gay storyline was never even hinted at.

I think this new lovey aspect of Robert and Aaron's relationship came about almost immediately after the new producer took over. It seems like only months ago that Robert had Aaron chained to a radiator while waving a gun at him. They've now completely disregarded what happened with Katie in order to normalise Robert and Aaron's relationship.

Even how Robert regards his sexuality has changed. Kate Oates described him as ambiguous, someone who didn't believe in labels. But now he's clearly identifying himself and going back to his childhood to try and explain why he wouldn't accept his sexuality when he originally got with Aaron. At the time it was played as Robert not wanting his relationship with Aaron to be known because it would mean losing the status that being married to Chrissie brought him. I think it's definitely the success of this "Robron" fanbase that has brought about these changes.

Since Jack died, they've always been respectful of him as the lost patriarch of the show. Which makes this latest thing all the more hurtful.

I know a lot of people don't rate Adam, but I thought he was really good when Holly died, especially when he confronted Cain with the news in the Woolie. I also think they've got something nice and normal with the Adam and Victoria relationship. Imagine if they invested in their relationship as much as they do with Robert and Aaron.

And Ashley stating that something fell on his car was almost immediately forgotten. It cheapens Ashley's story somewhat to have him take the blame for the crash, but if it means Emma gets off the hook then I'm all for it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    I agree--they've basically skipped over Robert having to deal with what he did to Katie and also skipped over any kind of evolution in Robert and Aaron's relationship. I don't really know why either one of them are in love with the other because we didn't actually see them fall in love.

It did and it was jarring--like we'd missed a bunch of key episodes. It was a major shift in Robert's character.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +961
    You can't really blame Chrissie and Rebecca for being attracted to me. They are only flesh and blood after all and have needs.

20. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Medals:
    Clever Emma, pointing the finger at Cain.

Welcome back Mo!