Coronation Street Eileen Derbyshire aka Emily in December 18 Photo

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Barbara Belle Of The Ball, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Barbara Belle Of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,989
    Medals:
    Lovely to see and she looks well.

Martyn Hett’s boyfriend meets Corrie's Emily Bishop in memory of the soap super-fan

Russell Hayward had dinner with Coronation Street legend Eileen Derbyshire on Martyn's birthday

[​IMG]

Martyn Hett’s boyfriend says it was "dream come true" to meet Coronation Street's Eileen Derbyshire on the soap super-fan's 31st birthday.

Russell Hayward was thrilled to have dinner with Corrie icon Eileen, who plays Emily Bishop in the show, to mark the special day and the moving moment was shared by a delighted Russell on Twitter.

A rare photo of Eileen away from the cobbles shows the actress smiling for the camera and holding hands with Russell who has his arm around the TV legend.

And Russell says the dinner was the start to a "wonderful friendship."

He tweeted: "A dream came true for me on Saturday. On @martynhett’s birthday, in his memory, I was lucky enough to spend the evening having dinner with Eileen Derbyshire (who played Emily Bishop) and her son, @OllieHolt22. A start to a wonderful friendship. I still can’t quite believe it!"

Martyn, from Stockport, was one of 22 people to lose their lives in the Manchester Arena attack on May 22 last year.

[​IMG]
    Martyn Hett (Image: Handout)
    He had a tattoo of Deirdre Barlow on his leg and he and Russell named their beloved pet cat Emily Bishop in honour of the character, who was famously almost murdered by serial killer Richard Hillman
    Emily, who has been in Corrie since 1961, was last seen in Weatherfield in January 2016 before flying out to Peru to visit her nephew Spider.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,512
    Medals:
    She does indeed.

Eileen has always seemed perhaps the most elusive Corrie actor in terms of public appearances. Admirably so. That's a true privilege for Russell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,989
    Medals:
    I agree, a bit like the BBG of Dallas - I wonder if she will ever return to the Corrie cobbles?
    I hope she is happily enjoying her life without early starts I the morning

• Like Like x 1
  4. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,005
    Medals:
    It's really nice that the Corrie cast continue to support those who were close to Martyn Hett. Eileen Derbyshire looks lovely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,989
    Medals:
    From FB - may need to retune in for this

[​IMG]

This week we're filming Ken's 80th Birthday party and look who surprises him with a special video message - it's Emily!

See it all on screen in October.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Ome for Christmas

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,287
    Gosh! She looks so different from the picture in the first post.

I wish they would do something with Emily, ideally, I want her back, but if that's not possible, then I suppose I should be thankful for what we're getting. Still, it's exciting news.

• Agree Agree x 1