1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

Dynasty: The Reunion, Who was invited or considered?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by chrisjc, Oct 21, 2019.

1. chrisjc

chrisjc Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So who was considered or invited for the 1991 Dynasty reunion? We know Jack Coleman and Gordon Thomson were asked but issues prevented this. For me Amanda is the family member whose absence is most obvious. They got Miles back but not Amanda. How about Dominique considering she was likely to return if season 10 had happened. Dex who had been a cast member for more seasons than most was nearly totally forgotten. Sable and Monica both key cast members in season 9 ignored. No resolution to the Jason and Frankie story. Was Pamela Sue Martin ever considered?
    Did budget issues prevent more cast members from becoming involved?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    Amanda was erased from the very existence of the Carrington after season 7. A bit like Annie in Twin Peaks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,289
    Medals:
    I recall a black audience member on OPRAH in 1991 asking Esther Shapiro if Diahann Carroll was going to be in the REUNION, and she stammered even more nervously than usual an answer which boiled down to: "No, but maybe next time."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,135
    Medals:
    I remember hearing that both Catherine and Karen were offered to come back, but they both turned it down. However, I don't know if that's true or not.

5. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Karen was not asked to come back but she was interviewed during the promo for "The Reunion" (with her brunette hair).
    I was not able to see the interview, just a teaser for it :

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,635
    The production company spun all sorts of rumours to make themselves look good, but I doubt that is true. Esther Shapiro had said they made a conscious decision to ignore the later years of the show and go back to when it was on a ratings high. That of course made no sense for Oxenberg, who was on the season that made DYNASTY #1, or for not inviting Carroll, who was already with the show from the end of season 4.

I think in the end the product was as shoddy as those very years they claimed they wanted to avoid.The way they refused to give advance notice to Thomson so he can be released from the (more hectic, as a daytime soap) Santa Barbara schedule kind lets us know how much they cared about having a broad representation of the actors. Pamela Sue Martin was never asked, and she had said in an interview (much later, around the time of the CBS special) that she figured they were still fuming over her departure even in 1991.

For me, there are such fundamental flaws with that project, I refuse to ever go back and watch it again. I would rather sit through a season 7B marathon than that. As @Alexis and I agree, there is no DYNASTY without FiLoLi. Then, that after so many years they decide to create a mini-series and that monstrosity is the story they concocted was laughable. Even worse, they actually simply repeated storylines, like Fallon choosing YET AGAIN between Miles and Jeff (only this time it made even less sense that she chose Jerkfrey).

The worst cliché I have ever heard is that one cannot judge a book by its cover. Just look at that insane DVD cover for the reunion:

[​IMG]

How is Sammy Joe on the (promo) cover without Steven? Oh yes, because at that time Heather Locklear had such a Q rating, they were building whole sitcoms around her --the forgettable and soon cancelled "Going Places." And that is how the reunion was created. With no rhyme or reason, only the pursuit of a quick buck. TV Guide, in its analysis, stated that the first night's ratings were strong, indicating there was an audience there for it. But the second night, after people had seen what had been concocted, many simply stayed away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,135
    Medals:
    I'd love to see that interview, honestly. Plus, seeing Karen with her natural hair color reminds me of how a newspaper article described it as being "more striking" than the blonde, and they're right.

Me too.

8. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    The Reunion is out on DVD?
    How can I have missed that. Where can I buy it?
    I want to complete my Dynasty DVD collection. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Medals:
  10. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Medals:
    Esther is such a cow! They could have at least written in a cameo of Dominique and Amanda on the phone to Blake in the Reunion.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,354
    Medals:
    Yeah well... could've... should've... little late now. It's done. And it's burried (more or less). I'd prefere to keep it that way, and NOT go to that darkest chapter of Dynasty every once in a while again. ItÄ's SO bad, it just doesn't deserve any kind of attraction. :lmao:

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,635
    Yeah, I know we often talk about the DYNASTY that could have been--there is a whole thread about it, not to mention every third post in all the other threads. But that is because the potential was there and realized in seasons 1 and 2, and more or less in season 9 as well, and then it ebbed and flowed (well, flowed more than ebbed) in the other seasons. But trying to fix the reunion is like spraying room deodorizer over a burnt-to-the-crisp mansion.

A different reunion altogether would have been another story, but, while in the minority, I do not mind the last episode of season 9 as the last time I saw the characters of DYNASTY.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Medals:
    Nothing could get worse than 07 and 08! The whole fashion angle for Alexis was totally a non sequitor and the reunion could have been compressed into two hours instead of four. Too much emphasis on business and not on character interactions. I’d rather have seen a Dominique and Amanda cameo than Kirby.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +263
    What was the point of releasing the reunion individually when they could've just thrown it in on the Complete Box set.

Bizarre.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,635
    The rights may not belong to the same company.
    But frankly, I don't want to consider it part of the series (technically it isn't) so I am happy with this arrangement.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I dont mind it for the Blake/Krystle reunion scene. That was beautiful tastefully done scene.

Wish Pam and Bobby had gotten such a moment.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Medals:
    The final scene with Blake and Krystle was good, I must say. Def a nice farewell to the fans.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    You're right.

For me, Dynasty : The Reunion is all science fiction.
    It obviously takes place in an alternate universe :

- Steven never had that explosion accident, never went under the knife for plastic surgery
    - Sammy Jo never had character growth and stayed the nasty and bitchy Sammy Jo from early years
    - The Filoli House inside design was created by an other architect
    - Adam was never kidnapped, never took drugs, never turned into psycho
    - Kirby was never raped
    - Alexis felt down from the Mansion balcony (not from the hostel one)
    - Dominique never learnt she was Blake's half sister
    - Amanda was never born

You see, it's not Dynasty 1-9 universe.

And I think it was the Shapiro's secret wish for years, to go sci-fi.
    Spaceship anyone :D ?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +624
    About this. Can we consider that each character recast would imply that the show slipped in an alternate universe? When Fallon was replaced by Emma Samms : bam, alternate universe : Fallon was raised by her mother and she took her accent from her, while Steven was raised by "Papa Blake". No-one is chocked by Fallon's "new" face because it was never "new". It was alternate reality. Hence the different portrait painting in the living room. This would also explain the sudden personality change.

Karen Cellini arrives : bam, alternate reality : Amanda story is the almost the same (Moldavia, Dex, ...) but the difference was she wasn't secretly raised in UK by someone paid by Alexis, but in USA, far from Denver. Hence her american accent. When Amanda "broke up" with Michael, she decided to visit to some relatives in UK (and actually let for good)

Just kidding of course. But this alternate universe delirium would also explain continuity errors and plot inconsistencies. Like Roger Grime who died in a hospital, with Alexis visiting him in timeline 1. And Roger Grime who died, shot by kid Fallon, in Timeline X. Tada! Everything is fixed. Actually, the Shapiro were geniuses (yet they didn't know themselves).

The question now is how many universes did we witness during 1-9? As I said The Shapiro were sci-fi geniuses, hence the spaceship. Even Esther, and her own very supernatural powers, influenced the CW Dynasty universe by suggesting that Matthew should be killed in episode 1. So they did.

Anyway, The CW Dynasty got the "alternate universe" concept very soon : creating alternate Cristal every season. They also created that hybrid character : "Fallexis". Don't tell me, when you see Gillies' Alexis, that you don't think she's "part alien" (sci-fi guys, sci-fi!)

[​IMG]

I mean even Gillies got it :
    https://twitter.com/LizGillies/status/1151181695267299330
    How does she call that video of her as Alexis? "Me teaching my alien to walk after rescuing it from #Area51"

Now, do we need more proofs that Dynasty's writing can't be taken... seriously? :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  20. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I saw another interview with Pamela Sue Martin where she was questioned about her departure from the series. She said they kept her job open for a year, hoping she’d return, then hired a replacement. And the interviewer asked if they asked her back even after they hired her replacement. She seemed uncomfortable with that question, but she said yes. And then the interviewer asked if she was asked back for the reunion, and again, she reluctantly replied yes and gave no details. It seemed like she was embarrassed about the producers preferring her performance to Emma Samms’.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1