1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DYNASTY: The Complete Series coming to DVD

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Medals:
    I would have prefered a Bluray release. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +177
    It's a real shame they can't sort out the rights to the a Reunion, I know not everyone likes it but it's hardly the complete series without it, given that it was expressly designed to give closure after the open-ended finish to season 9.

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    It is the complete series though--it run for 9 seasons. I know that some people would like to have it, and for their sake I hope maybe they can include it, but the series and the reunion movies are not the same animal--the same is true for Dallas.

4. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Technically you're right of course, and that's why they can sell this as the complete series without it being misrepresentation. Nevertheless as the series finished without an ending, and the Reunion was designed to be that ending, it is needed if the set is to be "complete" in any meaningful sense.

I assume the only reason for not including it is that CBS/Paramount don't have the rights.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Medals:
    No, it really wasn't. That's what they said about the 1991 "Reunion" but it wrapped up very little -- it was intended by the producers to be a reboot effort for a prospective new '90s version of DYNASTY (though John and Linda would never do it). But with the original writers back (whom Esther claims ABC wanted back, but they apparently didn't at all) ABC saw that "The REUNION" just wasn't very good and so slapped "THE END" across the TV Guide ad just in case anybody was confused about where this was going -- which one easily could if they'd listen to all of Esther's press quips.

That said, the first half of "The Reunion" I have little problem with.

6. Matthew Blaisdel

Threads:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Medals:
    I don't know how successful the release of "The Colbys" on DVD were, but someone interested in the Reunion could contact "Shout!factoy" and ask them to release it.
    Who has the rights for the Reunion anyway at the moment? Please don't tell me it's at Warners, because then i'm gonna puke..
    Because the Warners like squatting on their SD-content like the hens until it rots.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  7. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +289
    According to IMDB, the distribution rights for the reunion are held by ABC

8. Matthew Blaisdel

Threads:
    enjoying life
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Medals:
    But that's for broadcasting, we're looking for the home video rights.
    Because if noone really has them at the momant, it should be quite easy for shout!factory to get their hands on these licenses - if people ask for a release and they realize there is an interest, that is.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,846
    Medals:
    I had no idea there were plans for a sequel.
    Doesn't that last scene look sort of "The End"-ish?

10. Soapwriter12

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +289
    all they have for the reunion

They only show tv rights, it probablyy means that CBS?PARAMOUNT doesn't have a distribution deal anywhere for the reunion.

IF you go to Youtube, the mini series appears to have been uploaded from a vhs tape, when someone recored it with a vcr.

11. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Medals:
    There was also some talk about the '90s DALLAS movies kicking off a continuation, but reportedly the newly-feministicized brass at the network didn't want JR to be a womanizer and a misogynist anymore.

Which is stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    Yeah, it ignored all but one storylines of season 9 (and even that one was laughable with the whole European/Asian consortium against the good Americans) and it also ignored previous seasons! Like, Fallon had resolved the Miles/Jeff dilemma years ago (and the answer was neither, and it was a good one).

I don't know when ABC cut their plans short, or if even "the end" was a marketing ploy, but the articles at the time on Soap Opera Digest stated that depending on ratings there would be a revival of the series as mini-series. Ratings for the first half were very good because clearly the public wanted to see the Carringtons and the Colbys again, but once they saw the product, the ratings for the second night plummeted.

I remember also reading a different reason ABC wanted to wrap up the show. At that time many foreign markets were getting private television for the first time since so many countries (a lot of Europe included) had state-run monopolies ending, and there was renewed interest in Dynasty and some other soap operas--but the news that the show had ended in a cliffhanger ruined sales prospects. ABC execs admitted that in retrospect the show should have been given a limited tenth season to finish its story (and I bet you Paulsen would have done a much better job), although since Iger was still in charge I don't know if that was honest or just something to placate the crowds and help sales. At any rate, for ABC the Reunion did the trick in terms of wrapping up the product, even if it left Dynasty fans unsatisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Soapwriter12

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +289
    CBS considers the reunion, the completion of the original series, and joann has said that the reunion killed any chances for a continuation, no matter how many times the Shapiros tried to get a continuation, the reunion basically killed any interest from potential distributors, and the Dallas revival was the final nail in the coffin for any hopes of picking up with the next generation. So when Fake empire went to the CW, and the shapiros for a reboot, they too it.

14. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,760
    Medals:
    Not that they cared how JR treated men, blacks, eskimos, or the crippled and infirm. Just women.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,846
    Medals:
    But the Reunion was a mini-series...or do you mean another mini-series after the Reunion?
    And was that the reason why they didn't simply state that Dex had died? Maybe he would return in one of the sequel mini-series?
    I like to think that someone had died during that fantastic cliffhanger. Actually they both should have died, Dex and Alexis. That would have been great drama.

16. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    Yes, there would be a couple of mini-series per year. It was confusing the way I phrased it.
    I don't know about Dex, but as @Snarky's Ghost mentioned, the big three were unwilling to do more than the wrap-up series, so the focus would have to shift, perhaps having them as just drop-ins. Esther Shapiro was trying to be coy but she had hinted that we will find out more about Sable and other characters in the follow up mini-series. Then again, Miles was calling Jeff brother again, so what happened to his paternity?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,846
    Medals:
    I wonder if Stephanie Beacham was still interested and/or available at that time. What year did she guest-star on BH90210?

18. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,579
    She only did one episode in 91, and then 3 more in 93 and 4 in 94. So I'd say she was available

19. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,846
    Medals:
    Oh I didn't mean that she wouldn't/couldn't do Dynasty because of that. But it shows that she was still interested in doing Aaron Spelling series at that time.

Personally I don't think mini-series would have worked for Dynasty. I want the whole thing, everything and more! Not just a 3 hours adventure.

20. Soapwriter12

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +289