1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynasty Season 9 Thoughts/Reviews

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by JROG, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,245
    Sometimes, whenever I rewatch clips of Season 9 with Virginia, I like to imagine Amanda or Dana in her place. Having either of them instead just makes the scene that much better, y'know?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    Virginia was okay whenever she was talking softly. But when she was upset, all her lines sounded dubbed and maybe were.

That can't help your character's convincingness.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,610
    Apologists always tend to try and excuse Cuzzin' Veergineegia despite being one of the worst characters on the show!

She's awful. Stop making excuses! The end.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    I didn't mind her quiet needlepoint exchanges with Blake in the beginning -- I really didn't. And I liked her sweet exit scene with Blake in the mansion alcove. But everything in between mostly didn't work.

But that Paulsen sure does love his hookers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    "Here Comes the Son"

I really loved how Dex, Jeff, and Blake discovered skeletons while on the main floor Zorelli was telling Fallon he quit the force. That was quite the surprise. I thought he was lying but, so far, it appears to be true. Grimes' son's arrival is added to the story convincingly enough -- another nice twist that he's working with Handler --and the eerie creepiness of Fallon in the cottage hearing that singing was effective. I only wish they'd used Alexis' old studio from Season 2, though.

Sable's pregnancy felt as sudden as it is intriguing. I adored her shopping around to decide who shall be the father of her baby. I like to hope she'll go with Blake.

If you told me Jeff/Monica would be involved in an incest scandal thanks to Adam I wouldn't have believed it. And, yet, it makes sense based on what we've seen with these two ever since their earliest scene.

I have to say, though: I don't really care for Sammy Jo/Tanner anymore. I see what they're going for (tortured, forbidden romance) but I'm just not invested.

I really miss Krystle. There was a scene in the library with Blake (getting a drink I think) and it would be the kind of shot where Krystle walks in. For a few seconds, I forgot she was gone.

Two episodes left!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    LOL. I think I know what you mean - when I was making sure I could play the discs, I wanted to check out picture quality and skipped around. Those second-long glimpses were enough to show me how stupid it all was!

Still, I shall persist and I will need all the support I can get!

I agree. In other words, when she was merely the supporting character, the cousin, she worked just fine and there was a tenderness to her and Blake. Anytime she had to carry her own story, however, it was tragic, and I have no doubt it facilitated an early exit for Virginia from the show.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    I had to pause "Blasts From the Past" because Alexis walking in on Adam and Jeff fighting and announcing that Monica isn't Jason's daughter genuinely had my mouth dropping with surprise. I did not think the show could do that anymore. What a great surprise!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,245
    And I still love that your signature still has "But Jeff was asshole..." :lol::lol::lol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    What a classic "Blasts From the Past" turned out to be. The revelation about Monica and Miles, the amazing and hilarious scene that featured both a catfight (Sable/Alexis) and a fight (Jeff/Adam, their second fight of the season!), the fantastic Double Act of Evil (Alexis/Adam), Dex finding out he's going to be a father and Sable shutting him out, Handler being a shady guy, and the truly climactic, satisfying scene that reveals Fallon shot Roger when he started beating up Alexis. Again, I do not really care about the Sammy Jo/Tanner thing BUT Locklear did some fantastic work in the church scene. To think the show had all these good actors for so long and just constrained them...

PS: I believe this to be the only episode in the series that does not feature the Carrington mansion at all. Also, how funny that J. Eddie Peck was on two soaps during the same season and ended up beating a woman on each show whose name starts with "A" while wearing really tight jeans and boots. I guess when it's meant to be, it's meant to be!

1 episode left....

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +715
    No, season 6's premiere did not feature the mansion either. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Luke Fuller

Luke Fuller Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Well, Royal Wedding episode, cliffhanger of season 5 and probably the most famous episode of the show ever, did not feature the Carrington mansion as well :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    The nastiest thing that made the show die. S.A.D. may have been even more devastating than the whacked-out scripting. Until S9, of course.

It wasn't a coincidence. DALLAS' Leonard Katzman lost his talented deputy David Paulsen to troubled DYNASTY in 1988. So Katzman hired Peck for a pointless role on DALLAS to decrease the impact of the mystery of Roger Grimes, the only decent story DYNASTY had done in years.

With all the manipulations Katzman -- and, on DYNASTY, the Pollocks -- were capable of, why couldn't they use those skills to do a better show?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    Oh that's right! And to think I had just rewatched Royal Wedding! I guess I wasn't really paying attention :crazy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    Agreed. If the actors were free to really give it their all, there's no doubt the scripting problems would be somewhat lessened.

Yes, it was petty (perhaps wonderfully so). But a real shame they couldn't put all that scheming on the page!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Luke Fuller

Luke Fuller Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +83
    It is a pitty that they limited appereances of J. E. Peck in the last season. I love dream scenes with him. Unfortunately they stopped doing them in the episode Delta Whow (9.10) - in a shower with Fallon :) According to the original script, there should be a dream sequence with him in the episode The Son Also Rises (9.15). We only saw Fallon sleeping and waking up in panic. I do not know if the scene was really shot and then cut.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    He was cut back due to his DALLAS appearances. Clever Lenny.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Like A Sleeping Dog
    Ratings:
    +317
    But to us, the audience, she hasn't. Another cheap shot from the writers with no sense at all behind it. Maybe it's a Freudian slip, Krystle was weird in total. Blake's lullaby in general about the supposed weirdness going on for years doesn't support Jeanette's case. ;) Blake wouldn't have waited.

Otherwise, it's an interesting metamorphosis of Blake from season 1 to season 9; how he is a rich and arrogant shit, not brawling with the common man and presents a persona of a god figure living on his own cloud with only his rules as the ones that count, to a man moving closer to earth and surrounding himself with more common people and environments (could you picture Blake in the Saint Dennis Club in season 7 or 9? He outgrew it), ans sees beauty and meaning in the small things. As finish, while Alexis is Alexis in California never wanting to change, Blake sits in a crummy house talking to a stranger about his most inner feelings. Ha! What a picture to present to the season 1-Blake. From tyrant to lovable founding father.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    But Krystle had been acting weird for years. She just had. How else was the show supposed to finally acknowledge it -- have Jeannette grumble (like me) about the static acting directive from Season 3 onward, let alone the downturn in the writing for Krystle??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    I think it was brilliant to resolve it that way. And while the S.A.D. was common to all, for Krystle/Evans it wasn't just that but also the lack of understanding for her character. Esther Shapiro who created her never cared to instruct some of the later writers of who she was supposed to be, so she became the stereotype of the good wife and then boxed in to monogamy with Blake per Forsythe's request, she had no plot and space to breathe. In that sense, Claudia's speech in season 6 was on the money. She just wasn't talking about the original Krystle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,181
    Krystle as a character needed protection she never received; Alexis (and Joan) didn't need it.

Although when did Krystle stand by in silence and let the treachery happen?? She whined about the treachery all the time, albeit impotently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1