1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

nuDynasty Episode Chat Dynasty S2E05 "Queen of Cups"

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017 Episode Threads' started by Michael Torrance, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    This is James MacKay's latest post on his Instagram. Looks like Steven's out or will be replaced.

• jameswmackay
      All new #Dynasty tonight, but, yep, sorry to say without yours truly. While Steven had a choice to leave, unfortunately I didn’t. There’s a lot of decisions involved in making television, and sometimes they just don’t go your way and you have to live with it. So for now, all love and on we go. Hope you all enjoy the show. J xx

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,848
    Medals:
    Blake's revealing himself to be ever so slightly controlling.

They just dropped a huge hint about Alexis' future storyline - now the question is: who will be the unlucky groom to give her money and bite the dust?

I knew Claudia would be back eventually. Good to see her wanting to take control of dumbass Hank's failure to get the money.

3. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Well, looks like Liam and Fallon finally slept together. I guess it's only a matter of time before Michael eventually finds out about the one night stand and breaks up with Fallon for good. I just can't see them making it to the altar at all at this point. There are so many signs pointing to their eventual demise as a couple. Fallon is so super screwed up it's not funny. Maybe she shouldn't be with any guy right now until she deals with her issues and figures out what she truly wants when it comes to love. Wouldn't be surprised actually if Robert C. Riley ends up becoming the next actor to leave the show. He literally serves no purpose and he's stuck in a dead end story. In fact I'm just going to bet right now that Michael either finds out about Fallon's one night stand with Liam and breaks up with her right before the wedding or he somehow gets killed during one of the missions that Ada sends him on. Dynasty, you should have killed him in the fire when you had the chance. Maybe if you had we could have avoided having to sit through the triangle from hell.

4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Well, we need to urgently find who is supplying the writers their drugs. Clearly they get utter dregs some weeks (like last one) and the good stuff some others (week 3 for sure, generally good last night), so how do we keep their decent supply steady?

Adriana was more than an homage: some of the dialogue was actually copied, which I approve of. I loved how Liam and Fallon's chemistry continued, and that Liam showed he could fight dirty, if at least just for Fallon. The Ada storyline is still a big ball with Michael as the chain. Even the addition of Jeff Colby to the mix doesn't save it.
    I love Kirby getting involved in a storyline with Sam and Steven. And I am glad Hank and Claudia are around. His stupidity and her insanity are a fun combination (that finger!) The new Cristal is interesting--she is not bitchy like Celia, but she can give back as well as she takes around Alexis. She seems to also restrain herself toward Fallon, which is reminiscent of early original Krystle.
    All I worry now, is whether next week we get another good episode, or another Paraguay one. Where is Adriana when you need her?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    That is a much classier response than Kelley's.
    But I will say the unpopular opinion here: I did want Steven recast, right from the start. Steven in DYNASTY was a key, original character, and peach Steven was a mess through most of season 1. Maybe what I saw wasn't the actor's fault, but he also didn't just command the screen.

6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    If they are indeed recasting, they've done a great job of keeping the new hire under wraps. Of course, if he's "in Paraguay" then it's a lot easier to keep the filming of scenes secret, since none of the rest of the cast needs to participate.

Maybe they'll pull a Doctor Who and recast him with a woman. :hats:

7. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +470
    That's a pretty good idea. Steven comes back with a lovely set of boobs and Alexis takes him out shopping for some stylish new bras. Just imagine the bonding moment at the end of the episode.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,862
    Medals:
    Both Cristal and Steven got awful feedback on this forum (including my own comments) but eventually I got used to them and I even started to like them.

It's possible that another actor would play Steven better than JM, but I don't like the idea that I have to invest in the same character twice, it's just not a very entertaining prospect.
    Then I'd rather watch a brand new character (Adam?)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Cristal was terrible, but it was obvious from the very first episode (actually even before that in the preview) that the problem was the awful direction the show had taken the character, not Kelley herself. I was not so sure that was the case with Steven--the actor seemed to be part of the problem. While in the last few episodes Steven on screen was more palatable, I think the damage had been done.

I'll be curious if/how/when he will come back. The suggestion that the time of an absent Steven is a perfect opportunity for Adam to appear is in theory a right one, but that would work when you bring a new character to rock the boat. This boat is in pretty stormy waters already.

10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,152
    Medals:
    That was a really great episode. If last week was just a 2 out of 10, this one was easily an 8.5!
    The scripts vary from utter crap to interesting storytelling in just a week, that's really astonishing.
    Claudia with Hank... i should have seen that coming.. :lol:

So who will it be, the man that expires after marrying Alexis? Cecil, like in the original? Or don't we even know him yet?

They were about to... but they didn't..?! Or did i miss something?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    They didn't--you didn't miss it.
    Liam/Huber is a hot combination. The show will make a big mistake if they don't choose him over Culhane/Riley.

Edited to add 'don't'

12. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,152
    Medals:
    Why do you think that?
    I'm not too sure about that after this episode. What Liam said to Fallon on that stage really had me in tears, i do really like him a lot.
    I must say this is really a tough choice, they are both just awesome guys! I wouldn't want to be in Fallons place now, because i really wouldn't know what to do! :lol:

13. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Because sometimes I forget to add a very crucial "don't" in my posts. :lmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,152
    Medals:
    Twist! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Medals:
    I liked this episode. Big win for me: they're doing very well with Cristal. At first I was worried when they revealed she lost her job, but then she just comes right out and tells Blake what's what. What does he do? Give her such a tender kiss my heart melts... and then we get a shot of Alexis looking up at them on the balcony... like icing on a cake. :D

But then we find out Blake is responsible for Cristal losing her job. And we're shown this while Blake and Anders play *chess*. And earlier in the episode, Cristal suggested to Blake that he's a control freak.

All I gotta say is... Blake, you bastard. You hot-mess, lovable bastard. :lol:

Also, we got Bebe Glazer (I know she's Harriet Sansom Harris, but she'll always be Bebe Glazer to me :D). A guest star of riches. Plus she was on Desperate Housewives... did she ever have any scenes with Nicolette Sheridan then? I can't remember. Either way, great to see those two together... AND THEY ALMOST COMPLETELY COPIED THE ALEXIS/ADRIANA SCENE FROM THE ORIGINAL SHOW!!!!! :D :D :D

Kirby as the surrogate for Steven and Sam? The fact that she's Steven's half-sister makes me cringe a little... but then I remind myself that that sort of thing has already been done on "Friends".... Oh no, now I'm imagining Kirby cheerfully telling perfect strangers, "I'm having my brother's baby!" :lmao: And on the day of the baby's birth, Fallon (or Monica) says, "I'm so going to miss you freaking people out with that!"

But this would mean that Sam would have to be the biological father... course that also means the baby would be blood-related to both its fathers. But wow: Steven, Sammy Jo and Kirby all having a baby together...

Wow, so in the original series, Kirby became a nanny to Fallon's baby, and later on got pregnant by Adam. In this series, Kirby will be the surrogate for Steven and Sam. What will the results be like this time around?

Sam and Anders interviewing potential surrogates was ridiculous, yet still a pleasure to watch. I'm glad the writers are still giving those two storylines together. :)

All in all, enjoyable episode, and it does make me curious to see more. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +755
    Yes, Blake is a "hot-mess, lovable bastard". I think the handling of Blake grieving Celia while falling in love with Cristal is being handled extremely well by the writers and Grant Show. This is a delicate balancing act and I'm surprised that a show that so often feels like a 33 rpm record played back at 45 rpm is giving this story the necessary time to play out. I can see why Blake is falling for Cristal, she has a big heart and a strong backbone; she's just what he needs. Of all the characters Cristal 2.0 is the most like her original counterpart - or what her original counterpart should have been.

He may have original Sammy Jo's appetite but Sam - the ink on my marriage license isn't dry and I'm already talking to surrogate mothers - is Dana 2.0. Kirby is definitely Sammy Jo 2.0. Is Steven not returning until after the baby is born (like in the original)? Will Kirby decide she doesn't want to hand over the baby (like Karen)?

Ada Stone scares me, she's a nasty piece of work. I'm curious to see how Michael - and now Jeff - get out of this predicament.

Jeff isn't nearly as annoying this season as he was last season, though I much prefer Monica. I wish they would explore Monica and Fallon's frenemy relationship more. Wakeema Hollis gives excellent stink-eye; I'd love to hear her say "this champagne is burned".

Glad Liam finally admitted his true feelings to Fallon. I can see how Fallon would be torn between these two men.

Did anyone else think the art dealer looked like Billy Bob Thornton with a good skincare regime? I too loved the "Chick-Fil-A on a Sunday" comment. I found Alexis less bothersome this episode though I'm still not loving (or loving to hate) her.

Not surprised at all to see Stupid and Crazy are together, they're a match made in Hell. While Hank's stupidity is amusing I find it hard to reconcile with the fact that this is the same guy who planned holding Steven and Sam's bachelor party in a Country Western bar so he could pay a man to behave like a bigoted redneck and provoke him into taking a swing at him which would result in his prosthetic finger coming off thus revealing to Blake that he's "the real Adam Carrington". Yeah, the guy who concocted that scheme doesn't have basic math skills.

Harriet Samson Bebe Glazer Felicia Tilman Vera Charles Harris as a turban and caftan clad psychic - oh, Hell yes!

I have a prediction of my own: Alexis will soon add Colby to her name. No, she isn't going to marry Cecil. She's going to marry Jeff. I know a lot of you will be heartbroken when Jeff kicks the bucket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +470
    @Ked
    Hell yeah! They shared a couple of scenes back in seasons 1 & 2 on "Desperate Housewives". So it was an actual reunion for them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Don't you think Ada Stone is like a new Rhinewood (Cecil's mob personae in the original Dynasty)??? She's related to the mobster and is deadly menacing. Will she put a bomb in Michael's car and Blake go blind??? Or could be Jeff the real victim (after marrying Alexis) making her heiress to the Colby fortune? Good timing then for Dominique Deveraux to come to D... Atlanta for revenge isn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I think the Adriana and Alexis scene is a key moment which shows just how superior the original Dynasty is to this inferior remake.

The actresses who played them in the original delivered such an iconic and campy memorable performance that I can still remember it from my childhood which tantalises the narrative arc to come.

Whereas nuDynasty’s presentation is so watered down it delivers not even a tingle or frisson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    This chess game you describe...I don't recall seeing at all. This is the second time (in the last two episodes) I've heard you all talk about a scene that I didn't see, or at least I don't recall happening (the other being the scene several mentioned where Cristal gave Blake a pill of some sort). I was watching rather closely, so it's not like my mind wandered while this happened. I'm beginning to think the Netflix episodes have bonus scenes....but why would they do that?