Dynasty - a CW cash cow?

Discussion in 'CW Dynasty' started by Emelee, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,048
    Medals:
    Should Dynasty fans be concerned about the future of their favorite show?
    Maybe not. It appears to be a CW cash cow. According to By The Numbers, former CBS head Les Moonves shared what a moneymaker Dynasty is. He revealed that, “We own 100 percent of the show, and we’ve already licensed it to Netflix in 188 countries. … So this means Dynasty is profitable before it even hits the air.”

Source: https://www.tvshowsace.com/2019/10/04/cw-release-dynasty-season-3-family-first-ad/

2. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Profitable before it airs. Ok. But not a reason to deliver bad writing. But I want to stay optimistic. Season 3 premiere was good imo.

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    Somehow when "cash," "cow," and "DYNASTY" appear in a title, I expect to read about our beloved Esther Shapiro.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    Yet I'm curious why Netflix have taken the decision to delay international screenings of Dynasty until May/June 2020. By this stage most (Netflix) viewers will have simply given up on Dynasty or have found other means of watching it...to the detriment of Netflix, The CW and Dynasty. To me it's such a bizarre decision and there are no winners.

My life won't end not having access to my favourite sitcom but I feel like I'm missing out on the sometimes boisterous conversation surrounding Dynasty here on Soapchat. In fact I'm noticing a downward spiral in attendance here as well. TNT Dallas left our screens 5 years ago so there is less chatter about it now...no surprises.

Sure I could read recaps or watch Dynasty by other means but I'm currently forking out money for Netflix. I shouldn't have to go looking for other avenues because suddenly The CW and Netflix have switched arrangements.

RUDE!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,280
    Medals:
    I don't think that this change is Netflix' decision. Why would they delay it? Why should they delay it? It's completly against their business plan to hold something back on purpose that could generate or hold customers right now.
    They'd rather stream it today than tomorrow, and they'll put it on, as soon as they have the streaming rights to do so.
    That's all CW's decision, people. CW decides, when Dynasty will air or stream anywhere in the world.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 3:51 PM
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,022
    Medals:
    An idea:
    They could release the episodes during the hiatuses that the show takes during the year. They will likely take breaks around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and maybe even February (during Sweeps). Say the CW airs six episodes, then takes a four-week hiatus. They could release those first six episodes for the Netflix crowd to have something to watch during hiatus (and of course the CW viewers could re-watch), then go back to the CW airing another batch of original episodes and have those episodes air on Netflix during the hiatus of February or March. They would be like "mini-binges," or a compromise between weekly airings and one large release of the full season in May. Then, when the season actually ends they would release the final batch.

Waiting until May to release it all is a dumb idea, because the people who want to know what happens will seek out the info (or the actual episodes) online, and by May there will be no element of "I have to know what happens next" because they will already know!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,678
    Medals:
    So now they have recast the air dates too. Nice.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,030
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    As long as it doesn't become a "cash pig"...

upload_2019-10-13_23-49-47.jpeg

[​IMG]