Doesn't "Dorian" sound like the name of a really scary hurricane?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snarky's Ghost, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,036
    Medals:
    Most of my family still lives in Georgia, so I packed a suitcase as if I was going for a week-long visit. Which is what it might end up being. I didn't pack up the whole house of furniture in a U-Haul or anything--that would be hysterical. If the hurricane were to directly hit, insurance will replace all that stuff, but the irreplaceable stuff, like paperwork and sentimental stuff, came with me just in case. I'm a light traveler. I saw a few cars on the interstate filled to the roof with stuff and I can't imagine keeping track of all that.

Now that they're suggesting the hurricane is not going to hit the Treasure Coast area directly--like maybe scrape the coast as it turns north--I'm not *as* worried, but still worried. It's basically a lost week at work and now the thing looks like it's following me to Georgia, so I-95 will be chaos. But it'll just be a lot of rain by then.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,525
    Medals:
    It certainly is a good argument for music and movie files instead of the physical CDs, DVDs and records.
    Oh, is that bad? Or are you the owner of the business?

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    Medals:
    "Hurricane Dorian is now a massive Category 5 hurricane this morning with sustained winds of 185 mph as it makes landfall on Elbow Cay of the Abaco Islands in the Atlantic Ocean.

The National Hurricane Center is calling the storm a life-threatening situation with extreme destruction and the potential for wind gusts over 200 mph.

It is the strongest hurricane in modern record for the northwestern Bahamas. As it continues to slowly move west towards the northwestern Bahamas the outer rain bands of Dorian are expected to reach Freeport and Nassau, with more intense rain falling on Great Abaco Island. Winds are starting pick up and will continue to increase through the morning."

4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    Medals:

The storm is the second strongest on record for the Atlantic, will move close to Florida, Southeast coast

The storm made landfall on Sunday afternoon with estimated sustained surface winds of 185 mph and gusts reaching 220 mph at Elbow Cay, Abacos, in the northern Bahamas. "It is not very often that we measure such strong winds," the hurricane center said.

5. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    CNN: Disney adjusted park hours -- closing the Magic Kingdom at 3 p.m. Tuesday, for instance -- but announced normal operations will resume Wednesday at all theme parks.
    Oh oooh. :embarrass:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,036
    Medals:
    Mickey and Minnie were in a camper van next to me on I-95 when I evacuated. :D

I left to get away from Dorian, but it followed me to Savannah, just like Matthew did several years ago. In both places, there was virtually no damage because it stayed off the coast. I got back home this afternoon and saw no damage at all, so that's a relief. The Bahamas are just a mess, though.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +985
    Glad you are doing well.

Every time I hear of Hurricane Dorian I picture Robin Strasser. I wasn't even a "One Life To Live" fan but, come on, Ms. Strasser is an icon.

Did anyone read Marianne Williamson's (deleted) tweet about the hurricane?
    https://www.towleroad.com/2019/09/marianne-williamson-hurricane-dorian/
    She may not be as evil as Pat Robertson (homosexuality causes hurricanes and "possibly a meteor") but she is just as crazy.

8. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Marianne Williamson tweeted on Sept 4th: “The Bahamas, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas…may all be in our prayers now. Millions of us seeing Dorian turn away from land is not a wacky idea; it is a creative use of the power of the mind. Two minutes of prayer, visualization, meditation for those in the way of the storm”

I’ve read dozens of ‘testimonials’ over the years from folk who claimed their homes were the only ones untouched or suffering the least damage in their street or even neighbourhood after doing exactly all of that during storms or fires. It’s not crazy to them, whether it be the belief in the power of prayer or the power of the mind, or in miracles.

Or, even in the unseen, unknown around us.

There was an incident in my childhood which left me in tears. I was in the upper landing at the top of the stairs of our home, an area which served as my dad’s ‘study’ where he did all his paperwork and listened to the BBC news on a large old-fashioned post-WWII-era radio. That landing connected the two corridors of the upper floor and I was headed for the stairs. Dad was seated in his singlet, his shirt hung behind him on the corner post of the banister, and I had to pass between the back of his chair and the corner post. I stopped right there in-between when I noticed that there were several long shiny nails peeking out of his shirt pocket. Little me had an impulse to touch them. I reached out but stopped myself just shy of the pocket because Dad was hot-tempered and unpredictable (when he was stressed by matters on his mind, as my older self now realizes) and I was afraid I might dislodge the nails, dropping them from that great height onto the floor below.

The day was warm, the air still. Perfectly still. No fan, no air-conditioning. As I thought better of things, I drew my hand away, but not completely because I froze: to my shock the shirt had began to sway as if caught by a breeze – there was simply none to be felt. The nails tipped out of the pocket. I watched spellbound in horror, my hand partly outstretched, as the nails tumbled through the air – almost in slow-mo it seemed to little me. They fell clattering onto the stairboards below. Dad erupted, not believing me when I denied touching the nails. To this day, decades on, I just can’t believe that the movement of my hand towards the shirt pocket could have disrupted the airwaves sufficient to have swayed the hanging shirt so much that the nails could tip out of the pocket. Who to blame it on? Ghosts/spirits? Or, the power of the mind – unfettered by any adult nonsense of “it’s impossible”. (How crazy is that, that that’s what they once said about a human running a mile under 4 minutes.)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  9. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Want to talk “crazy”, talk POTUS Trump.

Here’s Anderson Cooper with CNN’s "'I' of the storm” report. And yes, CNN does know how to spell "eye" when it wants to:

@Daniel Avery, very glad to know you and yours are safe and well.

10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    Medals:
    Part of the mystery of life is how our internal thoughts may or may not affect the outside world in some way and to what degree.

Distilled down to a sports metaphor, if you have no particular skill at basketball, the best way for the ball to get through that hoop is for you to imagine it as going in --- or having already gone in -- as you shoot. It won't always work 100% of the time, but your accuracy rate will be far better than if you don't.

So Marianne Williamson (though everyone says she's a total bitch, of course) might be onto something. Potentially. The problem with people, even religious people, offering their prayers is that they don't actually do it. So if it could ever work, we're unlikely to find out.

11. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I'm now curious to know whether the way MW worded her tweet was the reason why she deleted the tweet.

12. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I would be utterly surprised if the number of ‘prayers’ offered and carried out (however they were done) for the well-being of the American states potentially within the reach of Dorian didn’t increase after folk watched what happened to the Bahamas.

That said, I’m wondering if the kind of ‘prayer’ made had a bearing on the outcome. I have this news report out of the Palmetto State in mind:

One area that received much more of the damage was James Island.
    The Holy City Church had one of the worst scenes of damage. Pastor Brian Powell says Hurricane Dorian took out part of their roof on Thursday.

Originally, Powell says they were hoping they were going to be ones helping out people affected by the hurricane.
    "We were really hoping with the South Carolina Baptist Convention that we would be an area of support for food and clothing and anything else," said Powell. "It was unfortunate that we're actually the ones that are having to receive aid."

Source: https://www.wltx.com/article/news/l...roof/101-23ce9d84-12ba-497c-8a3a-0b2463ea1e6f

Also, consider this: