Do Your Dallas DVDs Skip?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    Is it possible for DVDs to wear out? I don't mean if they get scratched or dirty, I just mean from being played a lot. My Dallas DVDs have some episodes that don't play at all and other episodes where it freezes and then skips a few seconds or even a few minutes. They didn't do that at all when they were new and the older they get, the worse the problem gets.

Has anyone else noticed that? This never happens when I play movies on DVD. My Dallas DVDs have no visible scratches so is there a problem with the way the Dallas DVDs were made, since my DVD movies never have that problem?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,083
    Medals:
    Are yours the double-sided discs? They're quite notorious for having a mind of their own.

I've had discs on newly unsealed Dallas boxes that would freeze in the middle of a scene and not allow me to watch any further. It's highly likely I've returned more Dallas boxes than I've bought.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    They are, but they worked fine for quite a few years. I don't see any scratches on them. It seems like they just wear out but I don't know if that's even possible. Unless there is some visible damage to a disc, it should work as well now as it did 8 years ago, shouldn't it?

From what you said, having to return brand new discs, it seems to me that my original idea that the Dallas DVDs simply weren't made well is true.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Legend

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,819
    Medals:
    Not yet - touch wood. I am aware of concerns expressed by others about the most recent Dallas box-set issued, where the DVDs are in card sleeves as opposed to proper cases.

Swami

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,658
    Medals:
    Oh my double sided discs were a nightmare. Brand new from the pack they would pause and sputter in the middle of a scene as if they were years old and used as coasters. It was very stressful and is part of the reason I haven't done a DALLAS re-watch. I have watched DYNASTY and THE COLBYS countless times, but DALLAS only once on DVD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    I have the odd brief skip at times.

Usually on Series 2, Episode 23, when Lucy first takes a pill and her "friends" go "Yay!"; Series 3, Episode 24, when Amanda runs to hug Bobby; and in Series 7, Episode 1, when J.R. has a go at Ray after the Southfork fire in front of Bobby and Donna for trying to kill him.

The glitches are usually very mild though, and sometimes doesn't happen at all, especially the last one I mentioned. These 3 discs are single sided, by the way. The most problematic of the three is the Amanda hugging Bobby one, and I actually got a double sided replacement disc from online without the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,392
    Medals:
    Do Your Dallas DVDs Skip?

Yes! Mine always skip the dream season.

Oh, wait. That's not what you meant. . .

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    I began to purchase my Dallas DVD's when Warner Bros. Australia decided to release them. They are the double sided discs as mentioned above however I have never had a problem no matter how many times I've watched them.

As most on this site know my Dallas DVD collection stops at "Swan Song." It's when Warner Bros stopped releasing the series in Australia much to my disgust. Perhaps it was a sign from high above telling me, "You've just watched the best years of Dallas. We're protecting you from the awfulness that comes later."

On a few occasions I've nearly hit that "Add to basket" option but something pulls me back. Maybe its Jock, Miss Ellie or JR. Who knows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    Medals:
    Some episodes from season 5 dubble side disc freezes a little, but not really long scenes, but especially the scene in which Rebecca arrives at Soutfork and says to Miss Ellie on Southfork and declare the ewings a war after what J.R. did to Cliff, I love that scene and unfortunately have to do with an error :(, but it annoys me a lot. Now I re-watch Dallas from the complete dvd boxset and they are one sided discs, and so for I have no complaints with the one sided disc.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,019
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I almost died when I saw that almost the whole episode of "The Letter" was unviewable...Why that one, oh why!!!!!

:rip: :innocent:

11. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    I've not had problems with my DVDs skipping (region 2, complete box set). I have only watched twice through completely and then random clips though, so who knows what they'd be like if they had been watched over and over.

Just glad we've moved on from VHS, those really do wear out the more you watch.

12. Gold Canyon 340

Gold Canyon 340 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yep! For some reason, the disc with Lucy's wedding (End of the Road parts 1 and 2) skips. This is strange because by no means is this my favorite episode and I have not played it any more than other seasons, but for some reason, I cannot get through that episode. Thank you for posting about the Freedive... I'll finally be able to watch those again on the free streaming!

13. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +910
    I used to own the whole DVD sets when they were relased by season, but due to moving/separating over the past few years they've been left behind and I've had to rely on back up copies I made on my laptop.

So....when I saw a Dallas Fanzine tweet about AMAZON.ES doing the boxset (all 14 seasons PLUS the 4 movies) for €77 I got straight online and bought it.

Looks like a re-watch (probably about the 14th) is on the cards.

Amazing offer!!!

https://www.amazon.es/Dallas-Complete-1-14-Reino-Unido-DVD/dp/B007N0IKKM/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=dallas+dvd&qid=1558399287&s=gateway&sr=8-1