1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did the Carringtons need a genuinely blue-blooded family with which to socialize?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,847
    Medals:
    I've tried to figure that out when I watched the DVDs, but I'm still not sure.
    Because it would also mean she was the major shareholder (hers and Philip's shares) and I don't think that was the case.

In case she had divided her shares between all her nephews and nieces, she still could have given Jeff a bigger part, to compensate for the shares he didn't inherit from his father. After all, Andrew disinherited his son, not his grandson.
    I also think that Philip's shares were divided between Constance and Jason, meaning: Sable's children would get what belonged to Jeff. Ha!

@Zable [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Medals:
    Good grief, it's all just a big mess. Bleah... :lol:

3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,580
    DYNASTY alluded to the Carringtons and the Colbys being part of a Denver upper class in the first season as well, at the dinner party. For whom was Blake trying to impress with his million dollar spit-in-the-ocean?

I think the big loss was letting go of that sense of the families being part of a larger canvas. Despite the rich trash feel of the Ewings, the oil barons ball (and other references--like the Asian oil field leases) established that Ewing oil was one company among many. Frankly, that it wasn't even the biggest in Texas made the show more fascinating. For all my adoration of season 1, having Cecil have just a nephew as heir was a poor decision. It would have made more sense for DYNASTY to be the story of Blake and the Carringtons trying to steal the top spot from the well-established Colby Clan. But I still would have made sure that through references, party scenes, heck even newspaper titles, other families and companies were on the horizon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,580
    Truer words were never spoken. The huge audience DYNASTY had by season 5 saw a poorer product than the smaller audience of season 1. But then again, isn't that part and parcel of being a member of an elite?:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    ^ That had a lot to do with the (over)commercialization of the show (which it can be said would have invariably diluted its quality, even if it had remained stellar; ex: Season 2) amid 80's excess and a growing contempt for the audience by the brass. We were supposed to be too dumb and too wanting of gratuitousness to tolerate a measured, nuanced potrayal of wealth. In their minds it needed to be garish as hell for us to get / enjoy it. And how would our lowly asses know any better, anyway?

Just slop the money, diamonds, and caviar onto a platter with some sequins and slam it on the cafeteria table. Ta da. Aristocracy.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    While we're on it, they kinda lacked a wealthy Jew. Sucked when season 9 came and there was not one cast member they could tie directly to the artwork in terms of source. Could we know the exact families/family it was taken from? Had Tom ever found out and did he keep that information to himself?

That could've been a return-to-the-series backstory for Claudia? #backstory #womaninthelimo :confuse:

It also makes sense for why the obstruction of her face (damaged in the fire?) could be a devise for the character (re)introduction. :think:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gatsbyesque

Threads:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +471
    Bravo, bish. BRA-the-f*ck-VO!!!!!!