1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dianne Feinstein: "Trump Can Be A Good President"

Discussion in 'US Politics' started by Frank Underwood, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,114
    OAKLAND, Calif. — It was a relatively innocuous remark, one that likely would have gone unnoticed with any other president. But this is California in the Donald Trump era, where antipathy toward the president runs deeper than almost anywhere else. The mere suggestion that voters should be patient, or that Trump might evolve into “a good president” was enough to land Sen. Dianne Feinstein in hot water.

The Democratic senator drew gasps, and some boos, in an appearance at the Commonwealth Club of California this week, when she insisted that Trump may need time to develop into a leader — a distinctly unpopular opinion in a solidly blue state where the president’s approval ratings are in the cellar.

"Look, this man is going to be president most likely for the rest of this term," Feinstein said Tuesday before an audience of 800 in San Francisco. "I just hope he has the ability to learn and to change, and if he does,he can be a good president. And that's my hope."

Noting that Trump has only been president for eight months, Feinstein insisted that Trump deserves some time and "some patience" from voters. "We’ll have to see if he can forget himself and his feelings about himself enough to be able to have the empathy and direction that this country needs,” she said.

The reaction to her remarks was swift. In addition to widespread local coverage of Feinstein’s seemingly conciliatory comments, state Senate Leader Kevin de León issued a blistering response Wednesday about the potential of Trump to be a leader.

“We don’t have much patience for Donald Trump here in California. This president has not shown any capacity to learn and proven he is not fit for office. It is the responsibility of Congress to hold him accountable — especially Democrats — not be complicit in his reckless behavior,'' said de Leon, who is considered a potential future candidate for statewide office — possibly U.S. Senate.

Feinstein sought to clarify her position later in the day, issuing a statement that noted her many criticisms of his administration and its policies in the past eight months.

"During this tumultuous time, I’m working to protect the progress we’ve made and find a way to get things done for Californians during a period of total Republican control of Washington. I’ve been strongly critical of President Trump when I disagree on policy and with his behavior,'' she said in her statement.

“Most recently, I was appalled by his comments in response to Charlottesville and the pardon of Sheriff Joe Arpaio. President Trump said that there were ‘very fine people’ in a crowd chanting ‘Jews will not replace us.’ There’s nothing ‘fine’ about white supremacists, Nazis or the KKK,'' Feinstein wrote.

"The duty of the American president is to bring people together, not cater to one segment of a political base; to solve problems, not campaign constantly. While I’m under no illusion that it’s likely to happen and will continue to oppose his policies, I want President Trump to change for the good of the country.”

For Feinstein, the episode served as another reminder of the charged politics surrounding Trump. Her brand of moderation is out of favor in the California Democratic Party, and progressives have been frustrated by her skeptical view of single-payer health care and support for some of Donald Trump’s earliest nominees.

Sen. Kamala Harris — while never directly criticizing her senior Democratic colleague — nevertheless made clear she fundamentally disagreed Wednesday.

“I’m not going to speak for Sen. Feinstein ... but I will say that everything that this president has done in the last eight months leads me to believe that he has spoken his intentions,’’ Harris said, in response to questions from reporters following a town hall in Oakland. “He has spoken his values, he has spoken his style of communicating and boundaries, or lack of boundaries, on many issues — and I have no reason to believe that he will change course.”

Feinstein, 84, ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, is up for reelection in 2018. While she has not definitively said she will run again, she is widely believed to be preparing to seek another six-year term.

Yet her comments underscore the growing concerns from some in the party that the venerable legislator, now the oldest member of the U.S. Senate, may be increasingly out of touch with younger voters.

"The time to root for President Trump and his success is over,'' said veteran Democratic strategist Mac Zilber. "Donald Trump has failed as a presidential leader time and time again. He has poured gas on the wildfire that is the American political agenda,'' while failing to deliver any meaningful legislation, he said.

Up against this "barbarous" leader, he said, "Democrats ought to draw a line in the sand."

Zilber, co-founder of the Southern California-based Jacobson and Zilber Strategies group, said that like many California Democrats, he maintains a "deep respect" for Feinstein's long tenure and record in office.

"[But] she was out of step with California's progressive movement" in making the comments about Trump. Noting the pushback from prominent Democrats like De Leon and Harris, he said, "I applaud Democrats who are taking a stand."

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/01/dianne-feinstein-trump-comment-fallout-242229

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,114
    So this is what the resistance looks like, huh? Doesn't support single payer, but thinks Trump can be a good president. These corporatist douche bags need to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  3. SueEllenRules!

SueEllenRules! Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Calling people out on their bullsh!t
    Ratings:
    +780
    Trump being a good president:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,477
    Ewww!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Trump can be a good president if he has the ability to learn and change?? What planet is she from?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,477
    Yeah. He's already proven that he can not.

7. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,114
    It's stuff like this that makes me hate establishment Democrats as much as I do. They like to curry favor with Republicans while undermining their own base. To say Feinstein is out of touch is an understatement.

8. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,477
    I see Feinstein's comment as just wishful thinking, an attempt to be fair-minded (which, given that it's about Trump, obviously is wishful thinking) more than her own corrupt agenda per se.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,114
    I'm all for wishful thinking and fair mindedness, but how can anybody believe that Trump has the ability to "learn and change" at this point? He's abandoned the few good ideas he ran on, while doubling down on his hateful rhetoric and policies that will harm the poor, the middle class, and the environment. Feinstein says Trump deserves "some patience," but he's used up any good will the public had over the last eight months.

Also, it's easy for me to think the worst of Feinstein because she takes money from the healthcare industry and rejects single payer. So while she hopes Trump will change, she refuses to get behind a better healthcare system because she's in the tank with the healthcare industry. Democrats refer to themselves as "the resistance," yet make idiotic comments like this while refusing to support progressive policy positions.

10. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,477
    Well, of course. But as she says, we're probably stuck with him for a full term.

So what does it matter what she says about him, or what he does? If he's as bad as they are, what's the difference?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,114
    No doubt, but it doesn't mean expectations of him changing are realistic.

Because it suggests that the only thing the Democrats are resisting is Trump's vulgarity and racism. And while such behavior should be resisted, it would be nice if Democrats started favoring the poor and middle class again.

They like to pat themselves on the back for Obamacare, even though it left 29 million uninsured. Meanwhile, Tim Kaine agreed with Trump's decision to keep us in Afghanistan. It's about putting a polite face to ugly polices.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,477
    Well, of course! So what does that have to do with Feinstein's too tolerant comments about Trump -- especially if she's just as bad?

13. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Guess this lady has lost her marbles. It hasn't even been a year yet, and Trump is already about to start World War III. Just how the heck am I supposed to give him a chance when there is always some new horror story that he has started just about every flippin' day? I really hope that more people will finally learn not to be impressed with a presidential candidate and vote for them just because they throw out a lot of pretty words while campaigning. It's usually: "Oh, we're going to do this and this!" And yet they hardly ever explain just HOW they plan to do everything. Experience and track records are more important. Talk is cheap. If someone wants to convince me that they are good, then they need to prove it to me. Unfortunately, both of the parties are so screwed up now that it's a joke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,114
    Because I interpret her "too tolerant comments about Trump" as being against his rhetoric more so than his policies. And I find that problematic coming from a member of the alleged opposing party. How does one expect a man who's spent eight months screwing poor people, destroying climate change agreements, supporting white supremacists, and kicking transgender people out of the military to become a good president?

As the saying goes, a leopard never changes its spots. It's the same reason corporate Democrats are incapable of changing too.

15. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,941
    She was one of the two senators (along with Republican Grassley from Iowa) who came out of that classified briefing in March grim-faced - the one where she should've been presented with the evidence the IC had at the time on the Trump team - so this is somewhat disappointing. But, she's never been excessive in her criticism of Trump (for instance, she called his recent pardon of Sheriff Arpaio simply "stupid").

I do wish this occasional wishful thinking on the left, along the lines of that pathetic and by now absurd "this is the day Donald Trump became President" (CNN's Van Jones and Fareed Zakaria come to mind) would stop.

Your typical primitive Trump supporter who just wants to stick it to the other team and doesn't give a damn about the US unless it concerns their own deplorable ass, doesn't deserve the left extending such courtesies, such as taking Trump seriously or treating him with respect.

By the way, after being stuck at record-low 34-35% for the final ten days of August, Trump's Gallup approval rating suddenly jumped up to 38%. That's still extremely low, but just how utterly idiotic do you have to be to fall for conman Trump's painfully transparent photo-op with black babies?

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,477
    By nature, liberals (except for the SJW-esque extremists) tend to have a qualified generosity towards conservatives -- an acceptance of each others' existence -- that isn't reciprocated.

It makes sense, even if it's pointless and not really constructive.

It's like the poor having a more gracious attitude towards the plutocrats, while the plutocrats are grabbing everything they don't even need off the walls of the poor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frank Underwood

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,114
    Yes, I've noticed that as well. Obama tried hard to work with Republicans that opposed him no matter what, even when he did things they agreed with!

At some point, you have to give up on people and realize they're never going to gain any redeemable qualities. That's not to say every conservative is bad, and I certainly know not every liberal is good. But you have to know how to find people you can have common ground with even when you don't agree on everything, and those who are beyond redemption. Unfortunately, Trump fits the latter description.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,477
    Yes, and while the "hey, we're all human, and we're all here" and "nobody's perfect and we're all flawed" sentiments may be admirable in their intention, it sidesteps the Good versus Evil dynamic that indeed exists in nature (and those fair-minded folks may even pat themselves on the back for doing so, proud of their objectivity).

There's a passage in the Bible about being as wise as the serpent and as harmless as the dove. That's a tough balance to strike for most people. They either learn the wrong lessons of the world and become too much like the serpent, or remain as selectively guileless as the dove.

The serpent vividly understands, at all times, what both sides are like; sometimes the dove doesn't.

[​IMG]

19. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,636
    Although Donald doesn't believe in the climate change, nonetheless in some hours he will have to deal with the direct consequences of it with IRMA right around the corner, being possibly the strongest hurricane of all time.