Dallas rebooted...Dynasty remade...

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Sarah, May 11, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,284
    Medals:
    Why is this do you think? Not that I could even stomach other actors playing the Ewing family but what is the logic behind this? (I know John Forsythe is dead now.)

Can a remake be as good as a reboot?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Medals:
    It depends on how much the writing team, on either a reboot or remake, research's on the original series,

The continuation of Dallas could've easily have worked had Cidre actually watched the first seven seasons of Dallas (1978-84) which is regarded by many as the golden of Dallas, instead it seems she only watched bits and pieces of the middle seasons (1984-87) along with a couple of episodes from.the early years, the team behind Dallas didn't seem to know what made Dallas, Dallas in the first place.

As for the Dynasty reboot, so far they seem to be doing okay, and they clearly watched the Colby's too since they're including Monica (Monique in this version) in the reboot's first season, and the girl they've cast for Fallon looks alot like Pamela Sue Martin as well.

But it depends on how invested TPTB are in fans of the original and attracting new viewers too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +134
    For a reboot they don't even have to rely on the old series much! They can do different stories! The revival of Dallas had to be a continuation and the first mess up was NOT INCLUDING THE REUNION FILMS! Cidre just made everyone think they didn't happen!

See--on Dynasty since this isn't a present day continuation since the 1991 wrap up TV Special--the writers don't have to do Cidre's first mistake and "forget" there was one or continue years later after Blake was shot and Alexis fell off the balcony! Cidre probably would have done that had they made a revival in the early 2000s and she got to do it!

Dynasty they can do anything they want--They can create every story new! Doesn't have to mirror the original in any way! So no history will be messed up! As long as they have an opening credits and theme that's great!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,988

It depends on the people behind it.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA & WENTWORTH both worked brilliantly.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    I have always maintained that the reason the BBC's continuation series of Doctor Who was so successful was down to the fact that the people producing it where fans. Russell T. Davies who brought the show back in 2005 knew what made the show tick & he was able to make the show appealing, not just to the general public but to the fans of the original series.

Dallas didn't get that opportunity to be successful because there was a showrunner with very little understanding of what made the original Dallas series a hit. It could've been a great series with the right person in charge of it. It needed a fan in charge, or someone who had worked on the Lorimar Dallas. It's a shame as the TNT series had such potential, but it was a potential that was wasted.

I wish the new Producers of the Dynasty re-boot all the best. The new series has the potential to be great if it is handled correctly, i.e. steer clear of drug cartels!!

I'm not sure if I could get into a Dallas re-boot though although I'd be interested in watching one, to see what it would be like. I'd prefer another continuation series for Dallas but focusing on the next generation of Ewing's. Have Jock's cousins at the ranch, or preferably the off-spring of Christopher & John Ross. I refuse to believe Christopher is dead! Oh and bring back Luke Krebbs Ewing, I hear he's just itching to stir up trouble with his real Father Bobby Ewing!! ;) :)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +241
    It's on the CW network so will probably be lucky to last past one season.

I will definitely check it out though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,520
    Medals:
    Spoken like somebody who's in the business.

Problem is, any team that acquires an old name-brand title, and then decides they don't need to be true to what they wanted that name-brand title to evoke (other than name recognition) in the first place, are probably not going to tell a very effective contemporary story, either.

I guess it could happen, but probably not.

We had this endless conversation during nuDALLAS a few years ago: some people were trying to justify every misstep the show took, others rejected nuDALLAS simply because it wasn't oldDALLAS, and some of us were calling for a show which better balanced the traditions of the old series and respected its narrative while adopting a modern tone and focused on the younger characters.

And some of us pointed out that any new continuation series that dumps on the old chestnut's history as badly as some do (and arguably nuDALLAS was doing) likely would do a bad job of telling any modern story as well. (We were told that was "ridiculous," and when nuDALLAS quickly spiraled in the ratings, they even took to blaming the online naysayers instead of the fatal flaws of nuDALLAS itself that we'd already highlighted).

And while the new DYNASTY has a looser leash, it's true, because it's a complete re-do, those don't tend to work either, and for similar reasons. (And the Shapiros' "involvement" with the nuDYNASTY is just a press release lie --- they're almost 90, and weren't involved for very long with the original).

I'll check it out, but I'm realistic. And, as such, totally unenthusiastic.

Linduh and Linder...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  8. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Medals:
    Never.

9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I never understood that logic from those breathlessly defending TNT Dallas. If what they believed was so well written then explain to me why the ratings kept on falling. People will continue to digest your product, as long as that product is an acquired taste.

For me Dallas could only ever be done as a continuation since there is so much history for the show to play with. Dynasty 2.0 could also have been produced as a continuation but for whatever reason they've decided to go with a re-boot. I'll give the producers top marks for being brave. It's going to be a very delicate act using characters names many viewers are so familiar with, which will inevitably draw comparisons to the original. I suggest those that are huge fans of the original to approach Dynasty 2.0 with fresh eyes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    So true. My dad (now 80) was a huge fan of the original series beginning in 1963. His three boys also grew to love the show as well. My favourite Dr. Who was Tom Baker. My father continues to look forward to every new season. And the reasons why he continues to like the series is exactly what you mentioned, Russel T. Davies. A person who truly loved the original.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I'll also add if there is a market for this type of show anymore. A recent failure being Blood & Oil. Could it be that the majority of viewers have no interest in old money (oil) but would rather watch new money (tech) to attract a more youthful viewer. I personally believe there is still a market for thought provoking, adult contemporary drama. Networks are missing out on tapping into a market that is being forgotten about. I'm talking about the 40+ market. Dallas would have worked if only the producers went in with a clear idea of their target audience. Adult drama. I say this because there were so many people still around from the original series run. Dallas also had that uniqueness where it could have diversified its money interests. A blend of the old and new. We still had Southfork, a working ranch, Ewing Energies (whatever the hell that implied but I'm guessing old money, oil) and Christopher working with new money, green energies. Christopher even informs John Ross this in a scene where he tells him, "Oil is the past John Ross."

Central to all this new story-telling is a person that has a fondness for what made Dallas so bloody good in those first several seasons. Watch and learn why it was so captivating. Breakfast on the patio, by the pool. Characters on an actual horse. Evening dinner drinks with raucous chatter between the characters. I'm talking about long scenes with dialogue that gives the show and characters depth.

The major flaw of TNT Dallas was taking the focus away from the Ewing family. At times I questioned why they were there, it seemed pointless. I doubt very much if we'll see it return. If anything TNT Dallas is an excellent example for anyone that works in the industry how to screw up your career.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,629
    Medals:
    They should have brought back Angelica Nero!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    That would require some mind-bending creative writing since she only existed in Pam's dream.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Medals:
    Well, so did Ben Stivers. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    And was Matt Cantrell really an old friend of Bobby's or was he imaginary too?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    A Dallas reboot should begin with different characters receiving news of JR'S death (omitting that 36 episode 'thing ' a few years back)
    Ray,Lucas,Jenna and Charlie and Randy (Brad,why not?)dash from Europe to get to Southfork as do Donna and Margaret,Laurel (a reveal in the will that she was Clayton's daughter),Gary,Valene and Lucy (and her Lord husband-Anthony Woodthorpe )with the twins,Jack (played by Ted Danson), no James (was killed by Michelle for sleeping with another girl), Cally and Terry, and Sly ( married to Jack!)
    Bobby is not married ( though we do see him hook up with Kay, a few new ones and Phyllis)
    John Ross and Christopher played by the 2 from TNT
    No waiters,butlers,Maids involved, no drugs just a meeting up and a reveal in the will.
    It goes on from there. Not everyone sticks around but they occasionally pop up.
    The business is the ranch, gas and solar.
    John Ross is the nice one
    Christopher is the not so nice one.
    The will puts certain tasks/stipulations and conditions for the family to receive contents like a labours of Hercules (though not that bizarre) and we see these carried out.
    JR'S presence is still there as he plays games from beyond the grave-even seeing an occasional video of him (old footage with new voice?) played at certain times.
    The twists are he has legally binded the executor to see these thru as one last act of revenge. The executor is Cliff....
    Another twist sees Christopher be revealed by the tape that he is JR'S.
    Jenna is revealed to be that one that tried to kill Bobby and frame Katherine (even tying up Ray and leaving him for dead in the cellar while she drugs Bobby and attempts to marry him and then both die together in a suicide pact. Ray and Jack save the day but jenna falls to her death
    Ray saves a dog from an abusive owner and calls it Tyson
    Jack sleeps around
    Wendell controls a battle with the Ewings from jail with new characters (one that fit in ),but he has a Sly,sorry spy on the inside....

After rows,affairs,double crossing,Lucas marrying his dying boyfriend by the pool,affairs, a major dust up free for all at the Oil Baron's Ball when Terry feels cut out of the will and a major storm hitting Dallas the cliffhanger will be a double whammy

The fallout of the storm finds Val dead in her car which overturned and hit a tree during the storm (she was returning to make up with Gary after she saw his nasty side a few episodes back beating up one of Wendell's goons to near death then hitting the bottle)- the only thing being she was dead before the accident
    Then,as the aftermath of the tragic storm dies down and Bobby lies in a coma (hurt when the stables collapsed and he was on front of the stampede of horses) a visitor walks in and leaves her ring...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Cor
    I wrote alot
    Lol

18. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    That wouldn't've stopped Cynthia Cidre!

Don't forget she made the mistake that Katherine Wentworth was dead!

She honestly hadn't a clue about the continuity on the old show.

Any fan of the original Dallas would've spotted that straight off.

She just wasn't the right person to helm the show, unfortunately. :(

• Like Like x 1
  19. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    Let me be completely clear here, Luke Krebbs Ewing will only be seen in the new Dallas: The Next Generation series if they give me a five year season contract.

I will only do the series if they get both Jesse Metcalfe who plays my half brother Christopher & Victoria Principal who is my step Mother Pamela Barnes Ewing back on the show. If Victoria declines, then I suggest Margaret Michaels as Pam, as she cameoed as Pam in the Lorimar Dallas.

If they can't get two of those actors back, then Dallas will remain dormant. I've seen the TNT version & it's pants, mainly because I'm not in it. I may have returned in the proposed fourth series but it of course, didn't happen.

I've since discovered many viewers were dissatisfied with it's third season & the apparent killing off of Christopher. Jesse has expressed an interest in returning to the show but only if I do as Luke! Jesse says he wants his butt seen in the title credits as a homage to Cynthia Cidre who he says was a complete asshole because she sacked him at the end of the third series!

So watch this space, if the Dynasty re-boot performs well, Dallas: The Next Generation could well happen too. :)

20. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    And no follow up as to how? I'll add it was even lazy on Patrick's part not to question the details. I'm assuming the actors were given their scripts in advance. Where was your highlighter Patrick as you read that line, killing off Katherine. GOD I find that announcement mid-sentence so frustrating. Are actors so desperate to work at times they'll put up with any garbage put in front of them. If that's the case it reflects poorly on everyone involved. The writers, producers and the actors. It had been mentioned in another thread, possibly in the former soapchat universe that TNT Dallas should have hired a consultant to ensure everything was right. That is, someone who knew the history of the show, the timelines, character traits. I would have volunteered for the role if they just paid for my accommodation.

Killing off Katherine mid-sentence partially explains why TNT Dallas failed. The new writers thought they could get away with things like that with new viewers but unfortunately far too many old-timers like myself were still around. And the one thing I like about social media is the fans could highlight those continuity errors. Obviously some of this had filtered through to Cynthia & Co., otherwise she would not have publicly acknowledged the fact by saying she had apologized to Morgan Brittany and her agent.

I'm no fan of social media but in cases like the above it can sometimes have an effect otherwise we would not have seen the return of the three-way split screen opening credits.

• Like Like x 1