1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas - dubbed or with subtitles?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Sarah, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    I'm curious for those who don't have English as a first language or who watched the show from a country where the actor's voices were dubbed.

Did it surprise you to hear what Larry and Linda and the others actually sounded like if Dallas was dubbed in your country? Or was your overall experience different if you were watching with subtitles?

I personally hate subtitles and think they completely distract from the viewing - but I will put up with them if I'm really interested in something (for example the German movie Downfall).

I've heard Larry and Linda's voices by French and Italian actors and obviously they sound completely different to their own voices. I'd be interested to hear your first experiences of hearing the show.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,595
    In Sweden we have subtitles. I think it's the reason I got into watching Dallas at such a late age, 11. Because when I was younger and tried to watch it I couldn't read it fast enough and the show didn't make sense to me. I remember my parents had to read the subtitles to me then and since they didn't consider Dallas to be a kids' show they refused to do so.

Despite this I much prefer subtitles to dubbing, since well:
    1) If the show is subtitled you can talk while you watch TV without missing any of the plot.
    2) If you hear proper English it helps you learn the language better.
    3) The dubbing sounds ridiculous. I used to watch "Dallas auf Deutsch" on ZDF to help me study german when I was in High School and the first time I heard JR tell Sue Ellen "Guten morgen Schatz" I just went :laughs:

Over all I am so used to reading the subtitles that I forget they are there and they don't ruin my enjoyment of watching TV or movies.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    :giggle::giggle::giggle::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Why on earth would you talk while watching Dallas?! The only person I talk to while watching Dallas is myself!! (Or Sue Ellen). :lolling::lolling::lolling:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +594
    When I first got into Dallas in the early 2000's, I watched reruns on German television and since everything is dubbed here, I had no choice but to watch this (and there were no DVD's yet).

When I got the DVD's a couple of years later, I was very surprised to learn, that German broadcaster ARD actually cut out about 5-6 min. from each episode. Those scenes aren't dubbed, either. If you watch the German Dallas DVD there are several scenes where the language changes back to English, which is ridiculous and pretty distracting.

Now I don't watch Dallas dubbed anymore, or any show for that matter. I can gladly say that my English has improved a lot over the last years (actually mostly because of watching American TV shows), that I don't need subtitles anymore, either (except when the actors have heavy accents).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,651
    As I told many times before, "Dallas" wasn´t only dubbed into Spanish in my country (Spain, obviously). It was bought by the federated local stations because the public network didn´t want to pay the high prices Lorimar demanded after the Who Shot J.R. phenomenon. So when these "other" stations were born (in Catalonia, Galicia and Euzkadi, just for the information of those who know my country), in 1983/early 1984, the first show was "Dallas", specifically the episode "No More Mr. Nice Guy", aka "the one after the shooting".

It was dubbed into Catalan, Gallego and Basque, so we had to get used to another language of those, besides the voices the Ewings had in Spanish, in the first original 2 seasons. It became something educational, as Karin has remarked too, because it taught us languages that had been forbidden during the 40 years of the Franco dictatorship. Besides, we had the dual system, so any person could choose between the original (in the "Dallas" case, American English) and the dubbed version (in my case, Catalan, since I am from Barcelona).

I couldn´t hear the voices of the actors until later because Dual system had a very slow installation in my city. Few areas could "get" both versions...I could hear Victoria´s voice because I did rent "Earthquake" and a very dumb TVM called "Pleasure Palace". And yes, I was terribly disappointed by her voice. She had a very sexy, heartfelt voice in Spanish, the actress who dubbed her had also dubbed Meryl Streep´s first successful roles in "Holocaust" and "Kramer".

Pam´s voice almost sounded husky, as those of you who came to Spain in 1980/82 may remember. Linda Gray's voice also sounded very deep and "masculine", I used to say that it just had a "drunk"´s voice, which I though was a mistake. They did the same thing with Katherine and Rebecca...but Jenna´s voice was sweeter and her dubber was a real actress, not a ******** like PP. Spanish translators eventually went wacko: they were in such a hurry to dub the episodes when the Spanish speaking stations were born (late 80´s) that they made a lot of mistakes in the names´ spelling and even whole sentences (which I realize now, of course). Jenna became "Gina" (yes, like THAT Gina...), Kimberly Cryder became "Kimberlie Creeder", and many other disasters...:eek:

No need to say what I though about BBG or Howard Keel dubbed. No matter how good their dubbers were: originals were so much better. Only Lucy was improved by her Spanish voices...Any surprise here? :p

A last thing: I got a copy of the French airing of "Swan Song" before we knew it was all a dream...and since we have different color systems, I watched it in black & white in Spain...and it looked great. It looked like a 40´s melodrama, which probably was Esther Shapiro´s obsession all the way. Besides, the French voices for all the lead ladies were beautiful, and French is a sweet language by nature so...I´ll never forget that cry: "Bobbieeee, Bobbiiiieeeee, c´est Katherine la putain qui t´a tué!" (I made up the last sentence...) :dance:

6. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,651
    Zach, I noticed what you mention in the two-parter for the Dream Season: in two scenes (with Jenna, of all!), suddenly the German dubbing disappears and they begin to speak English. I thought it had to do with the fact that this episode had been aired as one in USA and maybe also in Germany, hence they might not to have the dubbing for those scenes. But as you say, this was more frequent (I also know about the episodes that were "deleted" at the day for violence or something like that...). I also learnt a lot about English by watching American shows, and I write a lot faster since I found this little forum of ours...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +594
    Yes, 7 epsiodes from the first 3 seasons were never shown on German TV, e.g. Royal Marriage. At the time, they said that those episodes weren't necessary for the plot, but actually the broadcaster just didn't like their content and thought this was too extreme for German audiences. I think that's called censorship and what's even worse is the fact that this channel is a public broadcaster. I'm sure glad we have the internet today!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Subtitling is much better than dubbing. In my opinion, this is a huge reason as to why people in countries like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands and Belgium speak brilliant English compared to say, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal or even Germany. In the Scandinavian and low countries, they can actually hear the English dialogue spoken and have the subtitles in their native languages, which makes it much easier for them to learn English than in countries where they don't hear the English dialogue and only hear the dialogue dubbed in their own language.

I know this is generalizing and there are exceptions, including on this forum, but when one looks at the number of English speakers in these countries, like 80%+ in those subtitling counties, compared to way below 70% in the dubbing countries, there's something in that.

9. Toni

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,651
    Our public network didn´t have "censorship" because they bragged about being the first democrat TV after the dictatorship, but the "Dallas" dialogues were softened in a way that one could only realize through the years. They used "old" words for dirty words, so they sounded as said by hillbillies in Spanish...or people from early XX Century. Not the way people talked in the 80´s at all. It was like a "subtle" reconstruction of the dialogues...Luck we had the regional stations because these had an opposite POV: the closest to the real English word, the better.

Nowadays I watch the dubbed version if I´m with somebody else. Alone, I only watch it in Spanish when it´s a very light show that doesn´t requiere all my attention. The same with movies: at home I try to understand them without subtitles but I do try to get them always. But it´s hard to find someone who would go to the movies and see a film in its original version. I used to, and not only in English, in whatever language the movie I was interested in was filmed in...

PS: Most times, JR´s famous "JRisms" were totally invented. No "the rest is a pancake" in Spain...I still remember a dialogue between JR and April where they replaced Jomeini with another dictator...or something like that. It was surreal.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,494
    Why is the subtitling taken out of dvds 5-6? That's what I would like to know. But aside from that, it would've been cool to hear Dallas in Japanese.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,963
    In Greece, they have always (as far as I know) subtitled foreign shows, thank God! Except for telenovelas, those are dubbed. If we must have one of these, subtitling is by far better.

Talking while watching something? Certainly not!!! :p

That's absolutely ridiculous!

12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,595
    lol Oh I have screamed at the TV too on occasions. Like the first time I saw the episode where Sue Ellen found Holly & JR in bed I was standing up, screaming at Sue Ellen not to go in there as I didn't want her and JR's marriage to fall apart again!

But yeah generally when I watch TV together with my family we do talk at the same time if it's subtitled.

• Like Like x 1