1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossroads: 1964-1988, 2001-2003

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    dont all faint, heres Adam

[​IMG]

love BF x

2. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    and another

[​IMG]

love BF x

• Like Like x 1
  3. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict EXP: 9 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,799
    Which was you favourite era of Crossroads?

1: 1964-1971 this era is what I call the fantasy era, anything could. And did happen!

2: 1972-1981, the peak years I would say as it regularly beat Corrie and was often number 1 soap, another fact TPTB at ITV don't reveal....

3: 1981-1984, the Post Meg era, did a Miami Vice style pastel makeover before the Miami Vice even aired!

4: Late 1984-1987 Nicola Freeman/Dynasty-esq era, it was all going on in Kings Oak in the mid 80s! Big business, bigger hair and even bigger shoulder pads.

5: 1987-1988, Kings Oak era, now the end Is near (until the continuation in the early noughties) this era was as "nineties" as it could get to, we finally see that there is indeed a world beyond Crossroads Motel, alot of people deride the Kings Oak era and while I wasn't a fan of all the changes (the theme tune for instance) it wasn't too terrible, and although I said that this era was as "nineties" as it could get there is still something vaguely 60s about it.

2001-2002, Mk2 era, not a bad attempt to revamp the unfairly derided soap into the 21st Century, however killing off Jill and turning Adam mad before killing him off and making him Jill's murderer was a huge turn off

2003, The Yvon Grace era, this woman most likely only read the bad reviews of Crossroads Mk1 and turned Crossroads Mk3 into a bad parody of it, even using the dream solution which worked so well for Dallas, at the end of the series, though it could mean that Jill and Adam are still alive if the whole of Crossroads Mk2 & Mk3 took place in a checkout girl's day dream.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    I would say the early 80s is when i watched it (thanks to my nan at the start)
    remember the hype of Rosemary shooting David Hunter, Noele Gordon being written out

i think i gave up when the likes of Dee Hepburn appeared and many of the old faces left!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    Found this yesterday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

love BF x

• Like Like x 3
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    I'm not old enough to remember the original run so I'm going to have to plump for the 2001-2002 revival era. I recall being quite excited at the prospect of a new soap to watch (alongside the equally exciting Night and Day). The show wasn't perfect but there were some good characters in there and I think the show would have worked had they given it time to grow. From what I recall, the ratings were actually not that bad (2 - 3 million) but ITV had it in their heads that they needed to be higher (over 4m I think) and that's how the second revamp came about. The problem with the first revamp was that it didn't know what it wanted to be. It had nods to the original with Jill, Adam and Doris, Dynasty-esque family business dramas with the Russells and then a sort of poor man's Hollyoaks going on with the teen cast of hotel staff. Had it been given time, I think they would've whittled out the deadwood and the show would've found it's rhythm. It's a shame ITV didn't have the patience to see this through. The less said about the second 2003 revamp the better. I've watched some rubbish in my time but that was just dire.

While I don't recall the show the first time around, I have watched plenty of it on YouTube and while it's an unpopular opinion with Crossroads traditionalists, I quite like some of the Nicola Freeman / Kings Oak era, although I must admit, I haven't watched a great deal of the earlier years. Mostly though, I find the behind the scenes story of the show to be fascinating. Despite it's huge popularity, it seemed to be constantly battling critics and network bosses who were trying to tinker with the format, cutting back episodes from 5 to 4 a week and firing the show's figurehead. I saw an interview with Noele Gordon where she defended the show stating that it was modelled on the American soap format of 5 days a week and pointing out how ridiculous it was to compare Crossroads to Corrie which was only putting out two episodes a week at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,799
    Yes the 2001-02 era did have potential, I cannot understand why they killed off Jill though? Maybe TPTB were harking back to when Meg was axed and were trying to recapture the hype that caused two decades earlier? Either way it was a stupid move, and the revival might've lasted a few more years, it could've eventually evolved into a Hollyoaks type soap, with all the trappings and delights of the old Crossroads.

I never understood the constant criticism Crossroads received, it wasn't any worse or better than other soaps, during and since Crossroads, in the 70s it achieved 17 million viewers (more than half the viewers that would watch Den hand Angie divorce I'm 1986, a decade later!) even by 1987-88 when it was cancelled it was still pulling in 7-10 million viewers, most soaps mostly average 5-7 million viewers today and the sets are sturdier and the acting is "better" too.....apparently.

I always see Crossroads as a older version of Hollyoaks, a soap that doesn't try to be more than what it is, its pure escapism, and the fact that Crossroads was filmed live for many years, with four or five episodes a week, is pioneering in soaps, especially since soaps now go live on anniversaries, it should be celebrated, not ridiculed, but ITV still favours Corrie over Crossroads and Emmerdale.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    It really set the foundations for shows like Hollyoaks and Family Affairs in terms of format and having high drama in a pedestrian setting. I quite like the idea of Meg being the queen of the show for 17 years too. It's something that happened quite a bit in the US soaps (Erica in All My Children, Reva in Guiding Light) but we don't see it as much in the UK soaps. You have long term cast members but not really ones who are so obviously the lead star of the show anymore.

9. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    Once in a while i decide to revisit TV progs from my school days that i enjoyed and recently bought Grange Hill S1 - 2

Watching it someone in it was very familiar but i couldnt place her

She played Trisha yates mother - then finally it came to me, she was Kath ? Brownlow on Crossroads, married to moaning Arthur and mother of Glenda

• Like Like x 1
  10. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    '''''''
    Ratings:
    +489
    I agree and in its heyday was pulling millions of viewers.

11. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,799
    I'm beginning to tire of British soaps lately if I'm honest, Hollyoaks is the only one worth watching, because it doesn't take itself seriously.

Which is exactly like Crossroads was back in the day, Corrie, Emmerdale & EE are in some weird loop atm, dragging out storylines, overusing a small set of characters, constant barrage of "Hollywood" style stunts etc,

Soaps are meant to be escapist fantasy, especially with everything going on lately and the last few years on general.

12. Barbara Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,176
    read this today in papers

Carolyn Jones Obituary 1941-2018: Man-eating role brought fame and fury
    WHEN Carolyn Jones joined the cast of Crossroads as garage secretary Sharon Metcalfe in 1977, the ITV soap attracted more than 18 million viewers every week. Her character, the "tart with a heart", bedded several soap stalwarts and viewers were enthralled by her antics.

[​IMG]

Yet some couldn't separate Jones from her on-screen persona.

So much so that she once recalled being chased up a street by a group of "furious, fraught ladies with very sharp umbrellas" when her character had implied that a fellow employee might have committed a murder in a whodunnit storyline.

Born in Vancouver, Canada, Jones was the daughter of Reg, a journalist and Jean, a school secretary. After being educated at Vancouver High School, Jones left for London at the age of 17, with the dream of becoming an actress.

She worked hard to lose her Canadian accent and won a place at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art in 1960.

She studied there for two years and then honed her craft in rep before progressing to Laurence Olivier's National Theatre Company at the Old Vic in 1964, where her contemporaries included Albert Finney, Derek Jacobi and Maggie Smith.

There Jones landed small stage roles in productions such as the 1965 productions Much Ado About Nothing with Ian McKellen and Armstrong's Last Goodnight.

Her West End debut came three years later when she starred in Oh! Calcutta! and she had a minor film role in The Devils in 1971.

While Jones enjoyed a modestly successful stage career, she became a household name when she joined Crossroads.

[​IMG]

Her second most memorable role came in 2016 in BBC Radio 4's The Archers (Image: Alamy Stock Photo)
    The audience soon became endeared to Jones who from 1981 became one of the soap's leading strong women.

Jones' character was written out of the series when Sharon left to become a special-needs teacher.

Returning to the stage, Jones starred as Grace Holland in the 1989 production Bus Stop and landed a handful off one-off television roles in soaps such as EastEnders, Holby City and Doctors.

Her second most memorable role came in 2016 in BBC Radio 4's The Archers. For two years she played the villainous Ursula Titchener, gaining the nickname "Cursula".

She married Jeremy Mason, whose father had been one of The Archers' original creators in 1969, but the couple divorced after 12 years. She had no children.

Jones died following a battle with lung cancer.

Born: April 18, 1941

Died: July 25, 2018

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  13. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    '''''''
    Ratings:
    +489
    I never realised she played Ursula Titchener in the Archers. Wow no idea, that did not sound like her. What a great actress. RIP.

14. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,799
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. Alexis Colby Carrington

Alexis Colby Carrington Soap Chat Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I don't remember the original series, but I did like both reboots/ remakes/ continuations. I think the series could have continued, but I did enjoy the dream sequence ending.

16. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,065
    I wouldn't have described her Crossroads character as a "tart" or even say she was a "man-eater" although she did have love affairs.

Sharon Metcalfe was a multi-dimensional character, complex and a loyal friend who was looking for love. It is testament to Carolyn Jones's ability as an actress that she made and kept Sharon as such a likeable character.

I saw her on the Tube in London about 30 years ago and she looked stunning, dressed in black and sporting a trendy leather jacket. I wanted to say hello but she appeared to be learning her lines: reading a script and mouthing the words. When I smiled at her she smiled back but I was too shy to say anything.

One of the great characters from the best era of Crossroads.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018